Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop - Debian

This is a discussion on Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop - Debian ; Hi all, my laptop sometimes shut down abruptely. It seems that it is a thermal problem. I can hear the fan spinning when there is a lot of cpu activity; but when there is a disk activity the fan remain ...

  1. Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    Hi all,

    my laptop sometimes shut down abruptely.
    It seems that it is a thermal problem.

    I can hear the fan spinning when there is a lot of cpu activity; but
    when there is a disk activity the fan remain silent.

    Ushing "hddtemp /dev/hda" I see that the temperature is about 40 celsius
    when the system shut up.

    lm-sensors seems not to give good informations

    the "sensors" command says:
    No sensors found!
    Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
    Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

    Trying "sensors-detect" there is the response:
    Sorry, no sensors were detected.
    Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
    I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See doc/FAQ,

    In another place I foud the recommendation that the kernel should be
    compiled with CONFIG_ACPI and CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA flags.

    There is any method to control the fan or at least to force the fan to
    maximum speed?

    Thanks
    Mirto

  2. Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    On 11/7/07, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:

    > There is any method to control the fan or at least to force the fan to
    > maximum speed?

    Take a look at the toshset and toshutils packages available in the debian
    repositories. I have used toshset with success to turn the fan of an old
    Tecra 8100 on (command (as root): toshset -fan on), but I was using ubuntu
    7.04 then. In debian etch, I get this message:

    required kernel toshiba support not enabled.

    I haven't had the time to investigate how to enable it yet.

    Hope this helps, anyway.

  3. Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > my laptop sometimes shut down abruptely.
    > It seems that it is a thermal problem.
    >
    > I can hear the fan spinning when there is a lot of cpu activity; but
    > when there is a disk activity the fan remain silent.

    [...]

    > There is any method to control the fan or at least to force the fan to
    > maximum speed?

    My fan works fine by itself now (Thinkpad X31), but I recall needing to use
    the command

    echo 3 > /proc/acpi/[SOMEPATH]/fan

    on Etch as root to turn my fan off when it became stuck on full after
    suspending. I could also use values from 0-3 to set it to different speeds.

    I now use Lenny and the fan file has a slightly different path and more
    detailed content, e.g.:

    status: enabled
    speed: 0
    level: auto

    However, now I find I can't write to this file directly, even as root, who
    supposedly has write permissions! This I don't get.

    Anyhow, if you can find your /proc/acpi/.../fan file, see what's in it and
    change the value of the fan speed (if you can write to it), that may work.

    HTH,

    John

  4. Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    John O'Hagan ha scritto:
    > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> my laptop sometimes shut down abruptely.
    >> It seems that it is a thermal problem.
    >>
    >> I can hear the fan spinning when there is a lot of cpu activity; but
    >> when there is a disk activity the fan remain silent.
    >>

    > [...]
    >

    >> There is any method to control the fan or at least to force the fan to
    >> maximum speed?
    >>

    > My fan works fine by itself now (Thinkpad X31), but I recall needing to use
    > the command
    >
    > echo 3 > /proc/acpi/[SOMEPATH]/fan
    >
    > on Etch as root to turn my fan off when it became stuck on full after
    > suspending. I could also use values from 0-3 to set it to different speeds.
    >
    > I now use Lenny and the fan file has a slightly different path and more
    > detailed content, e.g.:
    >
    > status: enabled
    > speed: 0
    > level: auto
    >
    > However, now I find I can't write to this file directly, even as root, who
    > supposedly has write permissions! This I don't get.
    >
    > Anyhow, if you can find your /proc/acpi/.../fan file, see what's in it and
    > change the value of the fan speed (if you can write to it), that may work.

    Well, on my machine, fan is an empty directory.
    The ls command gives:

    msb01:/proc/acpi# ls -la
    totale 0
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 root root 0 2007-11-08 07:15 .
    dr-xr-xr-x 181 root root 0 2007-11-08 08:14 ..
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 ac_adapter
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2007-11-08 07:16 battery
    dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 button
    -r-------- 1 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 dsdt
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 embedded_controller
    -r-------- 1 root root 0 2007-11-08 07:15 event
    -r-------- 1 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 fadt
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-11-08 07:16 fan
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 info
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 power_resource
    dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 processor
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-11-08 07:16 thermal_zone
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2007-11-08 09:15 wakeup
    msb01:/proc/acpi#

    And for fan:

    msb01:/proc/acpi# cd fan
    msb01:/proc/acpi/fan# ls -la
    totale 0
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-11-08 07:16 .
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 root root 0 2007-11-08 07:15 ..

    Please can you send the content of your fan directory?

    Thanks
    Mirto
    > HTH,
    >
    > John

  5. Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:

    > John O'Hagan ha scritto:
    > > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    > >> I can hear the fan spinning when there is a lot of cpu activity; but
    > >> when there is a disk activity the fan remain silent.
    > >> There is any method to control the fan or at least to force the fan to
    > >> maximum speed?

    > > My fan works fine by itself now (Thinkpad X31), but I recall needing to use
    > > the command
    > > echo 3 > /proc/acpi/[SOMEPATH]/fan

    > Please can you send the content of your fan directory?

    what he described is a thinkpad feature, the "native" fan acpi interface is
    mostly broken, or not supported by the bios.

    Like someone suggested already, look for the toshiba tools packages in
    debian.

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  6. Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    Florian Reitmeir ha scritto:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    >

    >> John O'Hagan ha scritto:

    >>> My fan works fine by itself now (Thinkpad X31), but I recall needing to use
    >>> the command
    >>> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/[SOMEPATH]/fan
    >>>

    >> Please can you send the content of your fan directory?
    >>

    > what he described is a thinkpad feature, the "native" fan acpi interface is
    > mostly broken, or not supported by the bios.
    >
    > Like someone suggested already, look for the toshiba tools packages in
    > debian.

    Well, I tried the toshiba tools but this is the output I receive:
    msb01:/usr/src# toshset -fan on
    required kernel toshiba support not enabled.

    So it seems that I have to recompile the kernel with CONFIG_ACPI and
    CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA flags enabled.

    Anyone knows if there ere stock debial kernel with these flags enabled?

    Regards
    Mirto

  7. Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    > Florian Reitmeir ha scritto:

    >>> Please can you send the content of your fan directory?
    >>>

    >> what he described is a thinkpad feature, the "native" fan acpi interface is
    >> mostly broken, or not supported by the bios.
    >>
    >> Like someone suggested already, look for the toshiba tools packages in
    >> debian.
    >>

    > Well, I tried the toshiba tools but this is the output I receive:
    > msb01:/usr/src# toshset -fan on
    > required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
    >
    > So it seems that I have to recompile the kernel with CONFIG_ACPI and
    > CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA flags enabled.
    >
    > Anyone knows if there ere stock debial kernel with these flags enabled?
    >
    > Regards
    > Mirto

    That's interesting. "apt-cache show toshset" says it doesn't rely on
    kernel support.

  8. Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

    Mora and mora strange. See below

    Freddy Freeloader ha scritto:
    > Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    >> Florian Reitmeir ha scritto:

    >>> what he described is a thinkpad feature, the "native" fan acpi
    >>> interface is
    >>> mostly broken, or not supported by the bios.
    >>>
    >>> Like someone suggested already, look for the toshiba tools packages in
    >>> debian.
    >>>

    >> Well, I tried the toshiba tools but this is the output I receive:
    >> msb01:/usr/src# toshset -fan on
    >> required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
    >>
    >> So it seems that I have to recompile the kernel with CONFIG_ACPI and
    >> CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA flags enabled.
    >>
    >> Anyone knows if there ere stock debial kernel with these flags enabled?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Mirto
    >>

    > That's interesting. "apt-cache show toshset" says it doesn't rely on
    > kernel support.

    Your comment pointed me in a new crazy way.
    In the link http://www.flurble.org/computers/toshset.pl I read:
    =====================

    There are two modules for Toshiba laptop support in recent linux kernels.

    * *toshiba*, found at
    o Processor type and features -> Toshiba laptop sopport,
    o CONFIG_TOSHIBA,
    o drivers/char/toshiba
    * *toshiba_acpi*, found at
    o Power management -> ACPI -> Toshiba laptop extras,
    o CONFIG_TOSHIBA_ACPI,
    o drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi

    If you load *toshiba*, and run toshset ...

    $ sudo toshset -q
    machine id: 0xfcff BIOS version: 1.40 SCI version: 7.148
    toshset version: 1.71 Toshiba Model: Portege M100/M300 Tecra M2/A2/A3
    HCI/SCI access mode: kernel
    * toshset: this computer is not supported*

    =====================

    On my machine I read:
    msb01:~# toshset -q
    required kernel toshiba support not enabled.

    So I had to setup the environment to compile a kernel gettin the sources
    from the debian package linux-source-2.6.22.tar.bz2
    But inspecting the .config I see that are already enabled:

    Toshiba Laptop support (TOSHIBA)

    This adds a driver to safely access the System Management Mode of
    the CPU on Toshiba portables with a genuine Toshiba BIOS. It does
    not work on models with a Phoenix BIOS. The System Management Mode
    is used to set the BIOS and power saving options on Toshiba portables.

    and

    Toshiba Laptop Extras (ACPI_TOSHIBA)

    This driver adds support for access to certain system settings
    on "legacy free" Toshiba laptops. These laptops can be recognized by
    their lack of a BIOS setup menu and APM support.

    So recompiling kernel in not an option: toshiba support in the kernel is
    already enabled.

    I think that the toshset doesn't relay on kernel because the stock
    kernel has already tohiba support enabled.

    But now I'm completely lost.
    I'm using debian on this machine since when etch was the testing version
    and I never had thermal problems.

    It is only from this summer that I started to have thermal problems. I
    thinked that the weather was too hot; but now the weather is cold and I
    still have thermal problems.

    On my Satellite P20 there is no fan control in BIOS and I'm not able to
    use toshset to force the fan on.

    What can I do?

    Thanks
    Mirto

  9. cannot load toshiba.ko (was Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop)

    Below the old message.

    Now I'm trying to load the toshiba modules.
    What happen is that the module exists but modprobe says that it not exists.
    The modprobe and ls output:

    msb01:/usr/src# modprobe toshiba
    FATAL: Error inserting toshiba
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.ko): No such device
    msb01:/usr/src# ls -l
    /lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/|grep tos
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8935 2007-08-31 05:39 toshiba.ko

    What can I do?

    Thanks
    Mirto

    [...snip...]

    >> That's interesting. "apt-cache show toshset" says it doesn't rely on
    >> kernel support.
    >>

    > Your comment pointed me in a new crazy way.
    > In the link http://www.flurble.org/computers/toshset.pl I read:
    > =====================
    >
    > There are two modules for Toshiba laptop support in recent linux kernels.
    >
    > * *toshiba*, found at
    > o Processor type and features -> Toshiba laptop sopport,
    > o CONFIG_TOSHIBA,
    > o drivers/char/toshiba
    > * *toshiba_acpi*, found at
    > o Power management -> ACPI -> Toshiba laptop extras,
    > o CONFIG_TOSHIBA_ACPI,
    > o drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi
    >
    > If you load *toshiba*, and run toshset ...
    >
    > $ sudo toshset -q
    > machine id: 0xfcff BIOS version: 1.40 SCI version: 7.148
    > toshset version: 1.71 Toshiba Model: Portege M100/M300 Tecra M2/A2/A3
    > HCI/SCI access mode: kernel
    > * toshset: this computer is not supported*
    >
    > =====================
    >
    > On my machine I read:
    > msb01:~# toshset -q
    > required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
    >
    > So I had to setup the environment to compile a kernel gettin the sources
    > from the debian package linux-source-2.6.22.tar.bz2
    > But inspecting the .config I see that are already enabled:
    >
    > Toshiba Laptop support (TOSHIBA)
    >
    > This adds a driver to safely access the System Management Mode of
    > the CPU on Toshiba portables with a genuine Toshiba BIOS. It does
    > not work on models with a Phoenix BIOS. The System Management Mode
    > is used to set the BIOS and power saving options on Toshiba portables.
    >
    > and
    >
    > Toshiba Laptop Extras (ACPI_TOSHIBA)
    >
    > This driver adds support for access to certain system settings
    > on "legacy free" Toshiba laptops. These laptops can be recognized by
    > their lack of a BIOS setup menu and APM support.
    >
    > So recompiling kernel in not an option: toshiba support in the kernel is
    > already enabled.
    >
    > I think that the toshset doesn't relay on kernel because the stock
    > kernel has already tohiba support enabled.
    >
    > But now I'm completely lost.
    > I'm using debian on this machine since when etch was the testing version
    > and I never had thermal problems.
    >
    > It is only from this summer that I started to have thermal problems. I
    > thinked that the weather was too hot; but now the weather is cold and I
    > still have thermal problems.
    >
    > On my Satellite P20 there is no fan control in BIOS and I'm not able to
    > use toshset to force the fan on.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Mirto

  10. Re: cannot load toshiba.ko (was Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop)

    On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 03:31:37PM +0100, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:

    > msb01:/usr/src# modprobe toshiba
    > FATAL: Error inserting toshiba
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.ko): No such device

    .................................................. .............^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    means just that: your hw doesn't have the kind of device toshiba.ko is
    supposed to talk to.
    iirc toshiba.ko is for old models only.

    --
    paolo

  11. Re: cannot load toshiba.ko (was Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop)

    Paolo ha scritto:
    > On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 03:31:37PM +0100, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    >
    >> msb01:/usr/src# modprobe toshiba
    >> FATAL: Error inserting toshiba
    >> (/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.ko): No such device
    >>

    > .................................................. ............^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > means just that: your hw doesn't have the kind of device toshiba.ko is
    > supposed to talk to.
    > iirc toshiba.ko is for old models only.

    Fantastic!
    I have a Toshiba Satellite P30-130 model number PSP30E-20E019IT that is
    trying to burn because I cannot control the fan.

    Every module and utility I found for Toshiba laptops doesn't work saying
    that my kernel doesn't support toshiba utilities.

    Please, can someone tell me what can I do to avoid burning my laptop?
    (the CMOS menu haven't any fan control)

    Thanks
    Mirto
    > --
    > paolo

  12. Re: cannot load toshiba.ko (was Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop)

    Hi,

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:

    > Paolo ha scritto:
    > > On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 03:31:37PM +0100, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    > >> msb01:/usr/src# modprobe toshiba
    > >> FATAL: Error inserting toshiba
    > >> (/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.ko): No such device

    > > .................................................. ............^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > means just that: your hw doesn't have the kind of device toshiba.ko is
    > > supposed to talk to.
    > > iirc toshiba.ko is for old models only.

    > Fantastic!
    > I have a Toshiba Satellite P30-130 model number PSP30E-20E019IT that is
    > trying to burn because I cannot control the fan.
    > Every module and utility I found for Toshiba laptops doesn't work saying
    > that my kernel doesn't support toshiba utilities.
    >
    > Please, can someone tell me what can I do to avoid burning my laptop?
    > (the CMOS menu haven't any fan control)

    did you already take a look at:
    http://memebeam.org/toys/ToshibaAcpiDriver

    if this doesn't help you.. i suggest you should ask the linux-acpi ML for
    help with your laptop.
    AND.. make sure you tried a _new_ kernel before.

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  13. Re: cannot load toshiba.ko (was Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop)

    Florian Reitmeir ha scritto:
    > Hi,
    >

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
    >

    >> Paolo ha scritto:

    >>> .................................................. ............^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> means just that: your hw doesn't have the kind of device toshiba.ko is
    >>> supposed to talk to.
    >>> iirc toshiba.ko is for old models only.
    >>>

    >> Fantastic!
    >> I have a Toshiba Satellite P30-130 model number PSP30E-20E019IT that is
    >> trying to burn because I cannot control the fan.
    >> Every module and utility I found for Toshiba laptops doesn't work saying
    >> that my kernel doesn't support toshiba utilities.
    >>
    >> Please, can someone tell me what can I do to avoid burning my laptop?
    >> (the CMOS menu haven't any fan control)
    >>

    > did you already take a look at:
    > http://memebeam.org/toys/ToshibaAcpiDriver

    Yes
    > if this doesn't help you.. i suggest you should ask the linux-acpi ML for
    > help with your laptop.

    I'll try
    > AND.. make sure you tried a _new_ kernel before.

    Whops! I'm using 2.6.22+10 (I'm on Lenny). Do you mean I have to use
    2.6.22+11 from SID?

    Thanks
    Mirto