ATI fglrx driver on sid - Debian

  2. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    Frank Zimmermann schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running sid on a Asus M6N with the ATI Radeon 9600. I've installed
    > the fglrx-driver and fglrx-kernel-src and m-a a-i fglrx did install the
    > 3D driver. The driver is loaded on boot as shows me the lsmod | grep fglrx:
    > glrx 1477676 3
    > agpgart 30704 1 fglrx
    >
    > But if I try an fglrxinfo I do get the following error:
    > fglrxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open
    >
    > Same error if I try e.g. to run googleearth.
    >
    > Any hints?

    Hej Frank,

    have a look in this thread:
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5947

    I know it's long, but I know it contains your thing. You have to build a
    symbolic link somehow....

    I' m fighting in this thread, too.

    BruderB

  3. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    I don't use this T60 much often these days and i just can't tell when exactly what happened. Anyway, after some upgrade, GL applications stopped working, with the same libGL.so error messages. Inbetween there was a xserver-xorg dependency problem which required some package downgrading, which meanwhile got fixed. Additionally, i recompiled the fglrx module for linux 2.6.22-3 stock kernel, deleted a well working self compiled massively patched 2.6..19 rc kernel, and tried 2.6.23 where fglrx runs out to be not possible.

    So take this info with a grain of care.

    Inspired by

    i symlinked

    ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

    Afterwards the libGLso error message was gone, and google earth works again.
    However, the KDE terminal (konsole) still is slow like hell (i'm not sure if that's related though), and tools like fgl_fglrxgears don't work as before. The latter e.g. replies,

    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
    Major opcode of failed request: 130 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
    Serial number of failed request: 42

    and there's no 3d 'gears' graphic anymore.
    Or maybe meanwhile that feature is gone completely, anyway ?

    This is a debian testing/unstable with xorg package Version: 1:7.2-5,
    and fglrx-driver 8.42.3-2, kernel module compiled from fglrx-source.

    I downgraded xorg from 7.3 which didn't work either - see attached log.

    Note the drmOpenDevice failures - i hope this is unrelated :|

    btw. in the Xorg log, i can find

    fglrx: driver needs X.org 7.1.x.y with x,y >= 0.0
    fglrx: could not detect xserver version

    After downgrade, the message slightly changed to sth like
    fglrx: could not detect xserver version (query status -3)

    which doesn't seem to be much better.

    I hope someone could throw some light on this issue.

  4. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    It would be nice if graphics vendors released open drivers! Sigh.

    Zach

  5. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    oops.

    Here's the Xorg log.

  6. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    oops.

    Here's the Xorg log.

  7. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    Which architecture? If you refer to amd64,
    fglrx-driver 8.42.3-2, what happens is that the
    package does not use the ati version of libGL, but it
    does not remove the diversion created in previous
    versions. Use dpkg-divert to eliminate the diversions
    and then re-install libgl1-mesa-glx.
    --- Zach wrote:

    > It would be nice if graphics vendors released open
    > drivers! Sigh.
    >
    > Zach
    >

    > --

  8. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    J.R.:
    > Which architecture? If you refer to amd64,
    > fglrx-driver 8.42.3-2, what happens is that the
    > package does not use the ati version of libGL, but it
    > does not remove the diversion created in previous
    > versions. Use dpkg-divert to eliminate the diversions
    > and then re-install libgl1-mesa-glx.

    Thx that's a good hint. It's legacy i686 here though.
    As you can see i'm not used to diversion problems, and try to figure now what to do in this case.

    Since it appears to be a problem on package level i looked into fglrx-driver doc and found

    fglrx-driver (8.24.8-1) unstable; urgency=low

    * Upgrading from previous versions is quite tricky because libGL is moving
    from /usr/X11R6/lib to /usr/lib and I couldn't figure out a completely
    safe way to upgrade the libGL diversion. Upgrading should in fact work
    just fine, but downgrading to previous versions and recovery from errors
    during upgrades are broken.

    Therefore, I recommend to completely remove previous versions of this
    package before installing. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

    -- Flavio Stanchina <@> Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:05:31 +0200

    Since i already tried reinstall fglrx-driver in the first place, i gave your suggestion a try anyway. I deleted the symlink and reinstalled libgl1-mesa-glx 7.0.1-2 - but still nothing changed:

    dpkg-divert libGL.so.1

    diversion by fglrx-driver from: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
    diversion by fglrx-driver to: /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1
    libgl1-mesa-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

    diversion by fglrx-driver from: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
    diversion by fglrx-driver to: /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2
    libgl1-mesa-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2

    diversion by fglrx-driver from: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
    diversion by fglrx-driver to: /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2

    diversion by fglrx-driver from: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
    diversion by fglrx-driver to: /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1

    .....but no symlink at all was created in /usr/lib

    This is todays update, apt-cache policy:

    fglrx-driver:
    Installed: 8.42.3-2
    Candidate: 8.42.3-2
    Version table:
    *** 8.42.3-2 0
    500 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/non-free Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    8.40.4-2 0
    500 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/non-free Packages

    Reinstalling fglrx-driver once again didn't improve the situation.

    I think that says it all and i could as well close the thread here.
    But i've still some questions.

    Can i safely 'plug in' a custom diversion and symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 ?
    What will happen when package maintainers fix it on package level but i would update only much later, to another major version, which maybe provides just another path than /usr/lib ?

    To illustrate the situation a little bit, i purged the libgl1-mesa-glx package with apt and also deleted the deb package file in /var/cache - just tosatisfy a nagging paranoia -, which lead to a new diversion /usr/lib/libGL..so.1 -> /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.5.xyz. The diversion libgl.so.1 placed in fglrx/diversions was a broken symlink after that, as libGL.so.1.2 was gone. After reinstallation of libgl1-mesa-glx, the symlink /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 was gone without any replacement.

    Apparently the package insista on placing the diversion into /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions.
    And obviously packages like googleearth, xscreensaver-gl, and even fglrx-driver commandline tools, don't have it in their path.

    A less related topic (i hope):

    I also note that i although i've fglrx-control installed, i can't the heck find any GUI neither on commandline nor in KDE controlcenter nor in the Debain menus.

    The commandline tool 'aticonfig' is part of fglrx-driver so that should be another one.

    dpkg -L showed me /usr/bin/amdcccle (never seen this name before!) which launches a guru w/o any error message despite the custom symlink, and meanwhile i've installed the libGLmesa dbg package too.

    I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe just leave it with the dirty symlik, and try to remember it's there when in some months maybe running into troublewith another update to libGLso.1.3 ....?

    --

  9. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    Il giorno lun, 05/11/2007 alle 20.28 +0100, Frank Zimmermann ha scritto:

    > I'm running sid on a Asus M6N with the ATI Radeon 9600. I've installed
    > the fglrx-driver and fglrx-kernel-src and m-a a-i fglrx did install the

    You could use the open source drivers already available in Xorg with
    much less efforts. The 3D performances are nearly the same.

    You need fglrx only for X1**0 and X2**0 ATI cards, not for 7*, 8*, 9*
    and X**0 cards.

    Bye.

    --
    Alessandro Pellizzari

  10. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

  11. Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

    Zach wrote:
    > It would be nice if graphics vendors released open drivers! Sigh.
    >
    > Zach

    Well, it would also be nice if graphics vendors released working
    drivers. I bought a HD2600XT card and wanted to bring it up working as
    dualhead system. I invested a lot of hours compiling, patching,
    configuring and had a lot of amusing effects - but still no success :-((

    Boris