bind9 administrative interfaces - Debian

This is a discussion on bind9 administrative interfaces - Debian ; Greetings, We're looking at rebuilding our in-house front end to our bind servers. we currently have ten year old hacked together code that is showing its age. Are there any pre-built ones that are being used and worthy of recommendation? ...

  1. bind9 administrative interfaces

    Greetings,
    We're looking at rebuilding our in-house front end to our bind servers.
    we currently have ten year old hacked together code that is showing its
    age.

    Are there any pre-built ones that are being used and worthy of
    recommendation?

    We'd prefer opensource software, as we'll need to interface with it so we
    can tie it into our billing and provisioning systems.

    ../jp
    --
    Jean-Paul Blaquiere
    jeanpaul@blaquiere.id.au

  2. Re: bind9 administrative interfaces

    Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > We're looking at rebuilding our in-house front end to our bind servers.
    > we currently have ten year old hacked together code that is showing its
    > age.

    What kind of front end are you looking for? What are the needed
    functionalities?

    Thomas

  3. Re: bind9 administrative interfaces

    > On Nov 02, Thomas Goirand illuminated :

    > Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
    > > Greetings,
    > > We're looking at rebuilding our in-house front end to our bind servers.
    > > we currently have ten year old hacked together code that is showing its
    > > age.

    > What kind of front end are you looking for? What are the needed
    > functionalities?

    hmmmmm... good question
    This is something that has only been just recently raised, so in that
    sense, our formal requirements are still very vague.
    I've had Webmin recommended to me from another list (SAGE). I've not
    actually been able to find anything else to compare it with.

    I'm primarily interested in having something that removes the ability
    for humans to make obvious mistakes.

    manual interface:
    - something that lets us do individual record management
    (creation,deletion of A/PTR/MX/etc records)
    - listing of all forward and reverse records

    automated:
    - domain creation/deletion/delegation

    ../jp
    --
    Jean-Paul Blaquiere
    jeanpaul@blaquiere.id.au

  4. Re: bind9 administrative interfaces

    On Nov 1, 2007, at 11:13 PM, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:

    > I'm primarily interested in having something that removes the ability
    > for humans to make obvious mistakes.

    Design a fool-proof system, and they'll just make better fools. :-)

    --
    Nate Duehr
    nate@natetech.com

  5. Re: bind9 administrative interfaces

    try this

    http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/bindweb.htm

    Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
    Greetings,
    We're looking at rebuilding our in-house front end to our bind servers.
    we currently have ten year old hacked together code that is showing its
    age.

    Are there any pre-built ones that are being used and worthy of
    recommendation?

    We'd prefer opensource software, as we'll need to interface with it so we
    can tie it into our billing and provisioning systems.

    ../jp
    --
    Jean-Paul Blaquiere
    jeanpaul@blaquiere.id.au
    http://www.blaquiere.id.au
    http://japester.ucc.asn.au/

    http://mail.yahoo.com

  6. Re: bind9 administrative interfaces

    Jean-Paul Blaquiere a écrit :

    > Are there any pre-built ones that are being used and worthy of
    > recommendation?

    Have a look at smBind.
    It requires a MySQL (or PostgreSQL) database.
    The web frontend is based on Smarty so it should be easy to edit/modify to fit your needs.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/smbind

    --
    Samuel Krieg