Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with PERC 5/i RAID controller - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with PERC 5/i RAID controller - Debian ; Op 27-okt-2007, om 18:19 heeft Andraz Sraka het volgende geschreven: > Hello people, > > are there any diagnostic/monitoring tools in linux (debian etch for > instance) for monitoring Dell PERC 5/i RAID controller. I found that > there are ...

  1. Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with PERC 5/i RAID controller

    Op 27-okt-2007, om 18:19 heeft Andraz Sraka het volgende geschreven:

    > Hello people,
    >
    > are there any diagnostic/monitoring tools in linux (debian etch for
    > instance) for monitoring Dell PERC 5/i RAID controller. I found that
    > there are some utilities for RHEL/SuSE enterprise distribution. Has
    > anyone managed to see status of controller in Debian? What tools do I
    > need to use/install and are any kernel patches required? It would be
    > nice to see raid status as also the faulty disks

    Add deb ftp://ftp.sara.nl/pub/sara-omsa dell sara to /etc/apt/
    sources.list and apt-get install dellomsa. This will get you the Dell
    monitoringtools; the omreport-tool will get you all sorts of info on
    the raidcontroller:

    ----
    /opt/dell/srvadmin/oma/bin/omreport storage -?

    omreport Reports component properties.

    The available command(s) are:

    Command Description
    adisk Display array disk(s) properties. DEPRECATED: please
    use pdisk
    pdisk Display physical disk(s) properties.
    vdisk Display virtual disk(s) properties.
    controller Display controller(s) properties.
    enclosure Display enclosure properties.
    channel Display channel properties. DEPRECATED: please use
    connector
    battery Display battery properties.
    globalinfo Display global storage properties.
    connector Display connector properties.
    ----

    Apart from that omreport will also give you information on fan
    speeds, temperature, installed hardware, etc. It also installs an
    SNMP agent that allows you to monitor RAID status, fan speeds,
    temperature, etc via SNMP. The SNMP agent is disabled by default, but
    is easy to setup. We use this both for monitoring and to graph fan
    speeds and temperature with cacit.

    For more useful info on using Debian on Dell hardware see http://
    linux.dell.com/debian_9g.shtml

    Regards,

    Maarten

  2. Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with PERC 5/i RAID controller

    Maarten Vink a écrit :

    > Apart from that omreport will also give you information on fan speeds,
    > temperature, installed hardware, etc. It also installs an SNMP agent
    > that allows you to monitor RAID status, fan speeds, temperature, etc via
    > SNMP. The SNMP agent is disabled by default, but is easy to setup. We
    > use this both for monitoring and to graph fan speeds and temperature
    > with cacit.
    >
    > For more useful info on using Debian on Dell hardware see
    > http://linux.dell.com/debian_9g.shtml

    Hello,

    These packages look very intersting but I'm still using Sarge (kmuto.jp kernel) on my Poweredge boxes.

    Do you know if this repository will work on Sarge?

    Thank you.

    --
    Samuel Krieg

  3. Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with PERC 5/i RAID controller

    On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:31:26AM +0100, Samuel Krieg wrote:
    > Maarten Vink a ?crit :
    > >
    > > Apart from that omreport will also give you information on fan speeds,
    > > temperature, installed hardware, etc. It also installs an SNMP agent
    > > that allows you to monitor RAID status, fan speeds, temperature, etc via
    > > SNMP. The SNMP agent is disabled by default, but is easy to setup. We
    > > use this both for monitoring and to graph fan speeds and temperature
    > > with cacit.
    > >
    > > For more useful info on using Debian on Dell hardware see
    > > http://linux.dell.com/debian_9g.shtml
    > >

    > Hello,
    >
    > These packages look very intersting but I'm still using Sarge (kmuto.jp kernel) on my Poweredge boxes.
    >
    > Do you know if this repository will work on Sarge?

    It doesn't work with 2.4 kernels :-(

    --
    Pigeon

    Be kind to pigeons - - Pigeon's Nest: http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/
    GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?...rch=0x21C61F7F

  4. Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with PERC 5/i RAID controller

    Pigeon a écrit :

    > It doesn't work with 2.4 kernels :-(

    As I wrote, I'm using Kenshi MUTO's custom kernel ( http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/ ).
    It provides 2.6.20 kernels for Sarge.

    By the way, Maarten gave me this link, it may help someone besides me.
    http://www.uta.fi/~pauli.borodulin/dellomsa/omsa44.html

    Thank's Maarten!

    --
    Samuel Krieg