Re: Bits from Tcl/Tk team - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Bits from Tcl/Tk team - Debian ; Francesco P. Lovergine wrote: > The new policy tries to be as much as possible backward compatible, but > there is at least an aspect which will introduce a breakage with the past > (the removing of /usr/lib among $auto_path ...

  1. Re: Bits from Tcl/Tk team

    Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

    > The new policy tries to be as much as possible backward compatible, but
    > there is at least an aspect which will introduce a breakage with the past
    > (the removing of /usr/lib among $auto_path list [2]), mainly introduced to
    > solve current performance-impacting situation. Tcl/Tk developers should
    > refer to possible issues with their own extensions building due to this
    > change (see [3]).

    Does this mean that installing a pkgIndex.tcl into /usr/lib/$package is
    broken now, and that I should install the module to /usr/lib/tcltk? If so,
    is a pkgIndex.tcl still required?

    --

    Felipe Sateler

  2. Re: Bits from Tcl/Tk team

    On 10/16/07, Felipe Sateler wrote:
    > Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
    >
    > > The new policy tries to be as much as possible backward compatible, but
    > > there is at least an aspect which will introduce a breakage with the past
    > > (the removing of /usr/lib among $auto_path list [2]), mainly introduced to
    > > solve current performance-impacting situation. Tcl/Tk developers should
    > > refer to possible issues with their own extensions building due to this
    > > change (see [3]).

    > Does this mean that installing a pkgIndex.tcl into /usr/lib/$package is
    > broken now, and that I should install the module to /usr/lib/tcltk? If so,
    > is a pkgIndex.tcl still required?

    No, the Tcl/Tk packages which comply to this policy aren't uploaded to
    Debian yet. Moreover, /usr/lib in auto_path will be retained until
    maintainers of all Tcl-based applications and extensions will
    repackage them. pkgIndex.tcl is still required, but it will be moved
    into a subdirectory of /usr/lib/tcltk or /usr/share/tcltk (not right
    now).

    Cheers!
    --
    Sergei Golovan

  3. Re: Bits from Tcl/Tk team

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:45:54PM +0400, Sergei Golovan wrote:

    > > Does this mean that installing a pkgIndex.tcl into /usr/lib/$package is
    > > broken now, and that I should install the module to /usr/lib/tcltk? If so,
    > > is a pkgIndex.tcl still required?

    > No, the Tcl/Tk packages which comply to this policy aren't uploaded to
    > Debian yet. Moreover, /usr/lib in auto_path will be retained until
    > maintainers of all Tcl-based applications and extensions will
    > repackage them. pkgIndex.tcl is still required, but it will be moved
    > into a subdirectory of /usr/lib/tcltk or /usr/share/tcltk (not right
    > now).

    /usr/share/tcltk/$package for tcl/tk scripts and
    /usr/lib/tcltk/$package for shared libs (extensions).

    --
    Francesco P. Lovergine