why MIA database restricted only for DDs - Debian

This is a discussion on why MIA database restricted only for DDs - Debian ; Hi Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf tells to use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on a Debian machine which can only ...

  1. why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    Hi

    Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing
    in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf tells to
    use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on a Debian machine
    which can only be accesses by DDs. Can this be changed?

    thanks
    raju

    --
    Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
    http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 09:15:27PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
    > Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing
    > in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf tells to
    > use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on a Debian machine
    > which can only be accesses by DDs. Can this be changed?

    I think it is limited for privacy reasons. The same with vacation and
    echelon information on db.debian.org.

    As far as debian.org systems are concerned, maintainers who are non-DDs
    are indistinguishable from the general public at present. Sorry about
    that. Perhaps the new debian-maintainers system will allow access to
    that information to participants.

    Hamish
    --
    Hamish Moffatt VK3SB

  3. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    Hi,

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
    > Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing
    > in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf tells to
    > use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on a Debian machine
    > which can only be accesses by DDs. Can this be changed?

    It's unlikely to change. If you need to make a query about a specific
    developer, please join on #debian-qa on irc.debian.org and ask someone
    there to check mia-query for you. They will tell you if he's already
    recorded in the database or not.

    Cheers,
    --
    Raphaël Hertzog

  4. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    2007/10/16, Raphael Hertzog :
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
    > > Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing
    > > in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf tells to
    > > use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on a Debian machine
    > > which can only be accesses by DDs. Can this be changed?

    > It's unlikely to change. If you need to make a query about a specific
    > developer, please join on #debian-qa on irc.debian.org and ask someone
    > there to check mia-query for you. They will tell you if he's already
    > recorded in the database or not.

    I guess I'm being a bit the advocate of the Devil here, but isn't that
    as invasive of their privacy as having direct access to the MIA
    database? :P XD

    Greetings,
    Miry

  5. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
    > 2007/10/16, Raphael Hertzog :
    > > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
    > > > Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing
    > > > in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf tells to
    > > > use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on a Debian machine
    > > > which can only be accesses by DDs. Can this be changed?

    > > It's unlikely to change. If you need to make a query about a specific
    > > developer, please join on #debian-qa on irc.debian.org and ask someone
    > > there to check mia-query for you. They will tell you if he's already
    > > recorded in the database or not.

    > I guess I'm being a bit the advocate of the Devil here, but isn't that
    > as invasive of their privacy as having direct access to the MIA
    > database? :P XD

    Clearly no. The information is given to some people only instead of being
    available to the entire (anonymous) Internet. Furthermore, we don't
    disclose details as to why the maintainer might be MIA and so on, we just
    tell them whether it's worth filing new information in the MIA file of the
    investigated developer. :-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Raphaël Hertzog

  6. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    "Miriam Ruiz" writes:

    > 2007/10/16, Raphael Hertzog :
    >> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
    >> > Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing
    >> > in action)

    >> It's unlikely to change. If you need to make a query about a specific
    >> developer, please join on #debian-qa on irc.debian.org and ask someone
    >> there to check mia-query for you. They will tell you if he's already
    >> recorded in the database or not.

    > I guess I'm being a bit the advocate of the Devil here, but isn't that
    > as invasive of their privacy as having direct access to the MIA
    > database? :P XD

    Well, I supose whoever is doing the relaying will filter out anything
    not directly relevant to the question of being MIA. And I think that's
    not a private question, since it's a question about one's _package
    maintainer persona,_ not about one's private life.

  7. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:44:39AM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
    > 2007/10/16, Raphael Hertzog :
    > > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
    > > > Is there any reason why the database containing maintainers MIA (missing
    > > > in action) is available only for DDs? The developers-reference.pdf tells to
    > > > use mia-query for this (chapter 7). But the command is on a Debian machine
    > > > which can only be accesses by DDs. Can this be changed?

    > > It's unlikely to change. If you need to make a query about a specific
    > > developer, please join on #debian-qa on irc.debian.org and ask someone
    > > there to check mia-query for you. They will tell you if he's already
    > > recorded in the database or not.

    > I guess I'm being a bit the advocate of the Devil here, but isn't that
    > as invasive of their privacy as having direct access to the MIA
    > database? :P XD

    No, a mia-query contains private information, stuff like: "started a new job
    promised work again in his/her packages soon". It is not exaclty the same that
    tell you whether this maintainer is already being tracked.
    Another option is sent a mail to mia AT qa.debian.org stating why you think this
    maintainer is MIA, and the mia team will track if needed.

    Ana

  8. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    2007/10/16, Ana Guerrero :
    > > I guess I'm being a bit the advocate of the Devil here, but isn't that
    > > as invasive of their privacy as having direct access to the MIA
    > > database? :P XD
    > >

    > No, a mia-query contains private information, stuff like: "started a new job
    > promised work again in his/her packages soon". It is not exaclty the same that
    > tell you whether this maintainer is already being tracked.
    > Another option is sent a mail to mia AT qa.debian.org stating why you think this
    > maintainer is MIA, and the mia team will track if needed.

    Then, back to the original proposal, wouldn't it make sense to have a
    public binary database stating if a person is MIA or not and just that
    info? It might be quite useful to us, non-DDs, it won't invade
    anyone's privacy and I don't think it would be difficult to implement.

    Greetings,
    Miry

  9. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    Miriam Ruiz (16/10/2007):
    > Then, back to the original proposal, wouldn't it make sense to have a
    > public binary database stating if a person is MIA or not and just that
    > info? It might be quite useful to us, non-DDs, it won't invade
    > anyone's privacy and I don't think it would be difficult to implement.

    Hm, for what I've seen (I've asked the status of some maintainers in the
    last weeks), I don't really see why it would be needed to implement such
    a thing. A mia-query ping on #-qa is usually answered in less than an
    hour. I'd be happy to see everything *that* responsive. ;-)

    Cheers,

    --
    Cyril Brulebois

  10. Re: why MIA database restricted only for DDs

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 05:26:41PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
    > 2007/10/16, Ana Guerrero :
    > > > I guess I'm being a bit the advocate of the Devil here, but isn't that
    > > > as invasive of their privacy as having direct access to the MIA
    > > > database? :P XD
    > > >

    > > No, a mia-query contains private information, stuff like: "started a new job
    > > promised work again in his/her packages soon". It is not exaclty the same that
    > > tell you whether this maintainer is already being tracked.
    > > Another option is sent a mail to mia AT qa.debian.org stating why you think this
    > > maintainer is MIA, and the mia team will track if needed.

    > Then, back to the original proposal, wouldn't it make sense to have a
    > public binary database stating if a person is MIA or not and just that
    > info? It might be quite useful to us, non-DDs, it won't invade
    > anyone's privacy and I don't think it would be difficult to implement.

    If a person is really MIA they will loose their DD status, either
    voluntary or forced. That's what the WAT run that is happening is
    about... for the other cases it doesn't make sense to have a binary
    answer...

    Cheers

    Luk