where is the scanner device? - Debian

This is a discussion on where is the scanner device? - Debian ; hello, my problem is that ma scanner (Mustek BearPaw TA 2448 Pro) is not shown as device e.g. /dev/usb/scanner0 or /dev/usbscanner0. I already had it working once. However, now not even the device appeas in /dev anymore. How can I ...

  1. where is the scanner device?

    hello,

    my problem is that ma scanner (Mustek BearPaw TA 2448 Pro) is not shown as
    device e.g. /dev/usb/scanner0 or /dev/usbscanner0.
    I already had it working once. However, now not even the device appeas
    in /dev anymore.
    How can I get it back?

    Thanks in advance.

    Harry

  2. Re: where is the scanner device?

    Horton heard a Who named Dr. Harry Knitter saying:
    > hello,
    >
    > my problem is that ma scanner (Mustek BearPaw TA 2448 Pro) is not shown as
    > device e.g. /dev/usb/scanner0 or /dev/usbscanner0.
    > I already had it working once. However, now not even the device appeas
    > in /dev anymore.
    > How can I get it back?

    Don't use a scanner, so this is a guess: is it in /media after connecting?

    --
    sk8r-365
    People don't die; only bodies do.

  3. Re: where is the scanner device?

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Horton heard a Who named Dr. Harry Knitter saying:
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> my problem is that ma scanner (Mustek BearPaw TA 2448 Pro) is not shown
    >> as device e.g. /dev/usb/scanner0 or /dev/usbscanner0.
    >> I already had it working once. However, now not even the device appeas
    >> in /dev anymore.
    >> How can I get it back?

    > Don't use a scanner, so this is a guess: is it in /media after connecting?

    No it isn?t.
    The scanner can be listed in lsusb. However no scanner device is present.

  4. Re: where is the scanner device?

    Horton heard a Who named Dr. Harry Knitter saying:
    > sk8r-365 wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't use a scanner, so this is a guess: is it in /media after connecting?
    >>

    > No it isn?t.
    > The scanner can be listed in lsusb. However no scanner device is present.

    You're using SANE or some front-end? Is the scanner supported by SANE? What
    distribution did it work with? You're using Debian Etch? Is there an udev rule
    written for it currently? If there's a group for user sane (scanner), are you a
    member? Can "root" use the scanner?

    --
    sk8r-365
    People don't die; only bodies do.

  5. Re: where is the scanner device?

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Horton heard a Who named Dr. Harry Knitter saying:
    >> sk8r-365 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Don't use a scanner, so this is a guess: is it in /media after
    >>> connecting?
    >>>

    >> No it isn?t.
    >> The scanner can be listed in lsusb. However no scanner device is present.

    > You're using SANE or some front-end? Is the scanner supported by SANE?
    > What distribution did it work with? You're using Debian Etch? Is there an
    > udev rule written for it currently? If there's a group for user sane
    > (scanner), are you a member? Can "root" use the scanner?

    The scanner is supported by sane. However, the backend cannot be loaded
    because there is no /dev/usbscanner0 or /dev/usb/scanner0

    Harry

  6. Re: where is the scanner device?

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:06:07 +0200, Dr. Harry Knitter wrote:

    > my problem is that ma scanner (Mustek BearPaw TA 2448 Pro) is not shown as
    > device e.g. /dev/usb/scanner0 or /dev/usbscanner0.
    > I already had it working once. However, now not even the device appeas
    > in /dev anymore.
    > How can I get it back?

    Are you using Etch?

    Did you upgrade any of the software/system? Add any cards?

    Unplug the scanner and plug it back in.

    As root type

    tail -n 14 /var/log/messages

    That should tell you where/if it is being seen by the system.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread