Forming a new linux Distrbution - Debian

This is a discussion on Forming a new linux Distrbution - Debian ; Hello friends , We are college students . we are planning to build new linux distribution.We don't have any idea how to start and how to proceed.Soplease give detailed steps to build a new one from scratch (LFS). Thank u..... ...

  1. Forming a new linux Distrbution

    Hello friends ,

    We are college students . we are
    planning to build new linux
    distribution.We don't have any idea how to start and how to
    proceed.Soplease give detailed
    steps to build a new one from scratch (LFS).

    Thank
    u.....

    By Nithi........

  2. Re: Forming a new linux Distrbution

    On Sunday 14 October 2007 20:05:40 nithi saro wrote:
    > Hello friends ,
    >
    > We are college students . we
    > are planning to build new linux
    > distribution.We don't have any idea how to start and how to
    > proceed.Soplease give detailed
    > steps to build a new one from scratch (LFS).

    Rolling your own distribution from *scratch* might sound fun, but it's
    almost guaranteed to be a bad idea if you are college students and don't
    have any idea how to start. =)

    Instead, what you might want to do is make a custom Debain-based
    distribution, which gives you the advantage of not starting from *scratch*
    but getting to strip things down, select exact packages, make your own
    installers, rebrand things, whatever.

    A bigger plus is that it's not terribly difficult. See
    for a good starting point.

    --
    Wesley J. Landaker
    OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2

  3. Re: Forming a new linux Distrbution

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, nithi saro wrote:

    > planning to build new linux
    > distribution.We don't have any idea how to start and how to
    > proceed.Soplease give detailed
    > steps to build a new one from scratch (LFS).

    The first thing what would be really interesting is what your are
    missing in an existing distribution (for instance Debian) so hardly
    that you want to do the grunt work that more than 1000 people are
    currently doing for you voluntarily. Just name three valid reasons
    to start a distribution from scratch.

    Kind regards

    Andreas.

    --
    http://fam-tille.de

  4. Re: Forming a new linux Distrbution

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:46:40 +0200 (CEST)
    Andreas Tille wrote:

    > Just name three valid reasons
    > to start a distribution from scratch.

    1. It is the home exercise in "Operating Systems" until next week.
    2. Why do you want to have all the fun?
    3. For any other reason, see 1.)

    Dirk.

  5. Re: Forming a new linux Distrbution

  6. Re: Forming a new linux Distrbution

    > > 1. It is the home exercise in "Operating Systems" until next week.

    Homework should be left up to the student, and not answered here...

    --
    Shannon Eric Peevey
    speeves@erikin.com

  7. Re: Forming a new linux Distrbution

    Hi!

    * Dirk Neumann [071015 21:11]:

    > > Just name three valid reasons
    > > to start a distribution from scratch.

    > 1. It is the home exercise in "Operating Systems" until next week.

    Uhm... Your exercise is to build a complety new Linux Distribution by
    next week? Wow... that's pretty tough, considering, that took the
    Debian Project several years of development to create the tools and
    infrastructure to come up with a stable release.

    Maybe it would be worth to consider, how you define meaned with "build
    [a] new linux distribution", and probably ask your lecturer what he
    expects you to do.

    After that, take either a look at the simple-cdd package or at
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ , what ever fits your purpuse best.

    > 2. Why do you want to have all the fun?

    Because we earned to have the fun to create a Linux Distribution, when
    we got all the pain to create a Linux Distribution

    Yours sincerely,
    Alexander

    --
    http://learn.to/quote/

  8. Re: Forming a new linux Distrbution

    Hi Alexander,
    * Alexander Schmehl [2007-10-16 19:08]:
    > * Dirk Neumann [071015 21:11]:
    >
    > > > Just name three valid reasons
    > > > to start a distribution from scratch.

    > > 1. It is the home exercise in "Operating Systems" until next week.

    > Uhm... Your exercise is to build a complety new Linux Distribution by
    > next week?

    Huh? The one who said this was not the one asking the
    original question.
    Kind regards
    Nico

    --