Intend to hijack gpsd - Debian

This is a discussion on Intend to hijack gpsd - Debian ; Hi, gpsd[1] is an important dependency for several GIS related packages and currently in a very bad shape, it has one (almost 3 years old) RC bug, which resulted in a removal from testing some days ago, there're also 20 ...

  1. Intend to hijack gpsd

    Hi,

    gpsd[1] is an important dependency for several GIS related packages and
    currently in a very bad shape, it has one (almost 3 years old) RC bug,
    which resulted in a removal from testing some days ago, there're also 20
    other open bugs, many of them including patches.
    There is also a new upstream version available.
    The maintainer was pinged by the main sponsor (pere) and me without any
    reaction, also the last upload (in February) containing i18n patches
    only happened after a ping by mail and an offer to sponsor the upload
    (done by bubulle). Gpsd is also the only package maintained by him.

    Thus I intend to hijack gpsd, it would be maintained by me within the
    debian-gis team, which would also open a way for the currently listed
    maintainer to work on the package if he decides to be active again.
    Please let me know if anybody has objections against this. Otherwise I'd
    prepare a new version within the next 1-2 weeks.

    Thanks,

    Bernd

    [1]: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?l...il@subnetz.org

    --
    Bernd Zeimetz

  2. Re: Intend to hijack gpsd

    Hi,

    > The maintainer was pinged by the main sponsor (pere) and me without any
    > reaction, also the last upload (in February) containing i18n patches
    > only happened after a ping by mail and an offer to sponsor the upload
    > (done by bubulle).

    I pinged current maintainer around june too, without any reply.
    so far, I use my own local package using gpsd 2.34.

    cheers,

    Fathi

  3. Re: Intend to hijack gpsd

    On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 11:34 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
    > Thus I intend to hijack gpsd, it would be maintained by me within the
    > debian-gis team, which would also open a way for the currently listed
    > maintainer to work on the package if he decides to be active again.
    > Please let me know if anybody has objections against this. Otherwise I'd
    > prepare a new version within the next 1-2 weeks.

    Hi Bernd,

    just for the record, since after the fact: I am quite happy with you
    taking over gpsd. I have been bogged down with real life and work more
    and more within the last year. I always hoped to find some time to
    devote to gpsd "some time soon". Alas, I have to accept that this was
    wishful thinking.

    Good luck and much fun with the package!

    Cheers, Til

  4. Re: Intend to hijack gpsd

    Hi Tilman,

    > just for the record, since after the fact: I am quite happy with you
    > taking over gpsd. I have been bogged down with real life and work more
    > and more within the last year. I always hoped to find some time to
    > devote to gpsd "some time soon". Alas, I have to accept that this was
    > wishful thinking.
    >
    > Good luck and much fun with the package!

    Thanks for that, and thanks for taking care of the package so far!

    Hope I didn't bother you too much with all the mails the BTS must have
    send to you during the last days.

    Cheers,

    Bernd
    --