"No kernel modules found" on today amd64 - Debian

This is a discussion on "No kernel modules found" on today amd64 - Debian ; Hi, I have a MacBookPro, last version (June 2007). During installation from CD debian-testing-amd64-businesscard.iso, vesion oct7-0905UTC (today last version), md5sum d054222ff8db483c9f273015dda3d7b0: 1. I receive the following error: "Load installer components from CD: No kernel modules were found. This probably is ...

  1. "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

    Hi,

    I have a MacBookPro, last version (June 2007). During installation from
    CD debian-testing-amd64-businesscard.iso, vesion oct7-0905UTC (today
    last version), md5sum d054222ff8db483c9f273015dda3d7b0:

    1. I receive the following error:

    "Load installer components from CD:
    No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch..."

    However, if I press yes, I choose no other component, the installation
    continue.

    2. I have had deselected floppy during "modules to load" step, and now,
    during network hardware detection, it prints that the floppy kernel
    module was detected as matching my hardware, but I have no floppy in my
    laptop! Maybe there is another module which needs it?

    3. The installer afterwards prints "Ethernet card not found on the
    system", but I have an Ethernet card in my laptop... And the
    installation stops by showing "... The failing step is: Detect network
    hardware".

    I can give more information very fast (today). I am very interested to
    install debian on this machine )

    Best regards,
    --
    Eugen Dedu

  2. Re: "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

    Quoting Eugen Dedu (Eugen.Dedu@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr):
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a MacBookPro, last version (June 2007). During installation from CD
    > debian-testing-amd64-businesscard.iso, vesion oct7-0905UTC (today last
    > version), md5sum d054222ff8db483c9f273015dda3d7b0:
    >
    > 1. I receive the following error:
    >
    > "Load installer components from CD:
    > No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch..."

    Can you try with today's *netboot* image (not *netinst*)?

    http://people.debian.org/~aba/d-i/im...tboot/mini.iso

  3. Re: "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

    Quoting Eugen Dedu (Eugen.Dedu@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr):

    > With the ISO from the link above, the network detection is ok.
    >
    > However, it asks me about floppy module, but I have no floppy... I
    > unselect the floppy module, I say no to PCMCIA services, and the DCCP (with
    > Ethernet) works. I am doing the installation and keep you informed.
    >
    > Sorry, what's the difference between netboot and netinst? Is there a Web
    > page explaining that? At http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/
    > netboot is absent... I think it would be useful to explain at
    > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ in one sentence each of the
    > types of boot.

    netboot is a very minimal image which leads you up to the network
    settings, then downloads all remaining components from a network
    mirror.

    netinst is a CD image that allows installing a Debian *base* system
    *without* the network. We all agree this is a kinda confusing name..:-)

  4. Re: "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

    Christian Perrier wrote:
    > Quoting Eugen Dedu (Eugen.Dedu@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr):
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a MacBookPro, last version (June 2007). During installation from CD
    >> debian-testing-amd64-businesscard.iso, vesion oct7-0905UTC (today last
    >> version), md5sum d054222ff8db483c9f273015dda3d7b0:
    >>
    >> 1. I receive the following error:
    >>
    >> "Load installer components from CD:
    >> No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch..."

    > Can you try with today's *netboot* image (not *netinst*)?
    >

    > http://people.debian.org/~aba/d-i/im...tboot/mini.iso

    With the ISO from the link above, the network detection is ok.

    However, it asks me about floppy module, but I have no floppy... I
    unselect the floppy module, I say no to PCMCIA services, and the DCCP
    (with Ethernet) works. I am doing the installation and keep you informed.

    Sorry, what's the difference between netboot and netinst? Is there a
    Web page explaining that? At
    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/ netboot is absent... I
    think it would be useful to explain at
    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ in one sentence each of
    the types of boot.

    Thank you,
    --
    Eugen Dedu

  5. Re: "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

    Christian Perrier wrote:
    > Quoting Eugen Dedu (Eugen.Dedu@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr):
    >
    >> With the ISO from the link above, the network detection is ok.
    >>
    >> However, it asks me about floppy module, but I have no floppy... I
    >> unselect the floppy module, I say no to PCMCIA services, and the DCCP (with
    >> Ethernet) works. I am doing the installation and keep you informed.
    >>
    >> Sorry, what's the difference between netboot and netinst? Is there a Web
    >> page explaining that? At http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/
    >> netboot is absent... I think it would be useful to explain at
    >> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ in one sentence each of the
    >> types of boot.

    > netboot is a very minimal image which leads you up to the network
    > settings, then downloads all remaining components from a network
    > mirror.
    >
    > netinst is a CD image that allows installing a Debian *base* system
    > *without* the network. We all agree this is a kinda confusing name..:-)

    And businesscard? Can this info be put on
    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer? It takes only 2-3 lines,
    but avoid all confusion (I imagine that many people put this
    question)... I can write myself these sentences if you wish.

    Now, pursuing the installation:

    - In modules to load, live-installer (Install the base system) seems
    bizarre. In fact, I AM installing the base system, so why proposing
    this as module? I imagine live-installer means another thing, I propose
    to explain better what is it.

    - In modules to load, I have selected: eject-udeb, irda, cdrom-checker.
    After configure the clock, it goes back to "Detect and mount CD-ROM"
    instead of choosing the next item in the menu. Upon ENTER, it says that
    "The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for
    installation..." So I go myself after "Configure the clock", i.e. to
    "Detect disks". After that, it goes back again to "Detect and
    mount CD-ROM" and I manually change again to the item after "Detect disks".

    - The laptop has 2GB of memory, so it creates 4GB swap. This is a
    kernel question, but is it really necessary to have 4GB of swap? 2GB of
    memory is already sufficient to execute 2 linux systems in
    parallel ) My previous laptop had 512MB of RAM, and 512MB RAM + 1GB
    swap it is still less than 2GB of memory of current laptop.

    Greetings,
    --
    Eugen Dedu

  6. Re: "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

    Quoting Eugen Dedu (Eugen.Dedu@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr):

    > And businesscard? Can this info be put on
    > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer? It takes only 2-3 lines, but
    > avoid all confusion (I imagine that many people put this question)... I
    > can write myself these sentences if you wish.

    Well, the devel/d-i page assumes that ppl know what are the various
    images. After all, these are *development* pages.

    If I'm correct, businesscard/netinst are documented on
    cdimage.debian.org so I would not see any need to redocument this in
    the D-I pages. Maybe put a link...

    After our messages, I also biefly looked in the D-I manual
    (http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual) for a reference...but didn't
    find one..... As I looked *briefly*, that doesn't really mean anything..

    > Now, pursuing the installation:
    >
    > - In modules to load, live-installer (Install the base system) seems
    > bizarre. In fact, I AM installing the base system, so why proposing this
    > as module? I imagine live-installer means another thing, I propose to
    > explain better what is it.

    The "modules to load" part is meant for *special* installs. This is
    why it is not shown but in expert mode (did you use "expert" to
    boot). So, in short, you shouldn't pick a D-I module to load, *except
    if you have some specific needs*.

    > - In modules to load, I have selected: eject-udeb, irda, cdrom-checker.
    > After configure the clock, it goes back to "Detect and mount CD-ROM"
    > instead of choosing the next item in the menu. Upon ENTER, it says that
    > "The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation..."
    > So I go myself after "Configure the clock", i.e. to "Detect disks". After
    > that, it goes back again to "Detect and
    > mount CD-ROM" and I manually change again to the item after "Detect disks".

    That's expected.

    > - The laptop has 2GB of memory, so it creates 4GB swap. This is a
    > kernel question, but is it really necessary to have 4GB of swap? 2GB of
    > memory is already sufficient to execute 2 linux systems in
    > parallel ) My previous laptop had 512MB of RAM, and 512MB RAM + 1GB swap
    > it is still less than 2GB of memory of current laptop.

    This has been discussed in the past and I thought we reverted this
    "swap==double of physical memory" setting. Dunno in what conditions
    this was changed...or not.

    --

+ Reply to Thread