Re: Battery charging problem with connected ethernet - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Battery charging problem with connected ethernet - Debian ; On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:06:38 +0100 Stuart Prescott wrote: [snip] > I never did discover exactly what was going on here, but here are some things > that might help you that I did find in the course of ...

  1. Re: Battery charging problem with connected ethernet

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:06:38 +0100
    Stuart Prescott wrote:

    [snip]

    > I never did discover exactly what was going on here, but here are some things
    > that might help you that I did find in the course of investigating this
    > problem and a number of other laptop power supply-related problems we have
    > been having with instrumentation in our labs.
    >
    > * the power supply in question was a non-genuine one. [0]
    >
    > * laptop power supplies are pretty ugly in the electronic sense. They produce
    > amazing amounts of electrical noise in the 50-100kHz range that ends up
    > coming out in all sorts of places where it shouldn't. Non-genuine power
    > supplies are worse than genuine power supplies at this at this too. [1]

    By 'non-genuine', do you mean 'not branded by the laptop manufacturer'
    or a no-name brand? I was considering something like this Belkin unit
    [0] for my Acer, but your warning is making me nervous!

    [0] http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...297559&loc=101

    > cheers
    > Stuart
    >

    > [0] it was purchased from ebay... I should have known better... non-genuine
    > power supplies seem to cause many more problems than the save in cost.
    >
    > [1] Looking at 4 genuine power supplies and 5 non-genuine ones that we had
    > available to us, we found significantly more noise coming from the
    > non-genuine power supplies to the point where a couple of non-genuine power
    > supplies for thinkpads just cannot be used any where near our instruments --
    > don't even plug them into the same wall socket!
    >
    > --
    > Stuart Prescott www.nanoNANOnano.net

    Celejar

  2. Re: Battery charging problem with connected ethernet

    Hi Celejar,

    > > * laptop power supplies are pretty ugly in the electronic sense. They
    > > produce amazing amounts of electrical noise in the 50-100kHz range that
    > > ends up coming out in all sorts of places where it shouldn't. Non-genuine
    > > power supplies are worse than genuine power supplies at this at this too.
    > > [1]

    > By 'non-genuine', do you mean 'not branded by the laptop manufacturer'
    > or a no-name brand? I was considering something like this Belkin unit
    > [0] for my Acer, but your warning is making me nervous!
    >
    > [0] http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...297559&loc=101

    By non-genuine, I meant a real "no-name" brand. They have the same physical
    appearance and the unit made by the laptop manufacturer and probably even
    have the manufacturer's logo on them (legally or not).

    I can't comment on the Belkin unit you mention, but I would *hope* that a
    brand name like Belkin would be more careful than the cheap imitations.

    best of luck with it!

    cheers
    Stuart

    --