This is a discussion on Loading Of URLs To /var/tmp - Debian ; Hi, Does anyone know of any way to kill the loading of clicked on KMail links to /var/tmp/kdecache-user..........., instead of directly to Konqueror? Konqueror can't seem to handle half the web sites that are passed that way. For that matter, ...

    Does anyone know of any way to kill the loading of clicked on
    KMail links to /var/tmp/kdecache-user..........., instead of
    directly to Konqueror? Konqueror can't seem to handle half the
    web sites that are passed that way. For that matter, can
    anyone explain the rational for doing it that way in the first
    place, or point to some documentation on this subject? Google
    hasn't helped.

    Thanks,
    NP

  2. Re: Loading Of URLs To /var/tmp

    On Thursday 24 May 2007, Null Pointer wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of any way to kill the loading of clicked on
    > KMail links to /var/tmp/kdecache-user..........., instead of
    > directly to Konqueror? Konqueror can't seem to handle half the
    > web sites that are passed that way. For that matter, can
    > anyone explain the rational for doing it that way in the first
    > place, or point to some documentation on this subject? Google
    > hasn't helped.

    This usually mean that the file type association has been changed.

    Check control center -> KDE componentens and file type associations for the
    text/html type.

    The associated program should be "Konqueror", on top of the list and the
    command (Edit button) should be "kfmclient openURL %u text/html"

    The %u tells KDE that the program can URLs itself, otherwise it plays save and
    assumes it can only do local files and downloads them (to the temp directory)
    before passing it to the program.

    Cheers,
    Kevin
    KDE user support, developer mentoring

  3. Re: Loading Of URLs To /var/tmp

    On Thursday 24 May 2007 15:05, Kevin Krammer wrote:

    > This usually mean that the file type association has been
    > changed.
    >
    > Check control center -> KDE componentens and file type
    > associations for the text/html type.
    >
    > The associated program should be "Konqueror", on top of the
    > list and the command (Edit button) should be "kfmclient
    > openURL %u text/html"
    >
    > The %u tells KDE that the program can URLs itself, otherwise
    > it plays save and assumes it can only do local files and
    > downloads them (to the temp directory) before passing it to
    > the program.

    Thanks Kevin, but it still does the same thing. The associated
    program was Opera, but it was launching Konq, which was number
    two. I have no idea why. I moved Konq to the top and made sure
    the command was as you said. It still loads to /var/tmp and
    still launches Konq with the same results.

    It seems to be an interesting problem. :-(

    BTW, I should already have mentioned I am running 3.5.7.

    Thanks again.

  4. Re: Loading Of URLs To /var/tmp

    On Thursday 24 May 2007, Null Pointer wrote:
    > On Thursday 24 May 2007 15:05, Kevin Krammer wrote:
    > > This usually mean that the file type association has been
    > > changed.
    > >
    > > Check control center -> KDE componentens and file type
    > > associations for the text/html type.
    > >
    > > The associated program should be "Konqueror", on top of the
    > > list and the command (Edit button) should be "kfmclient
    > > openURL %u text/html"
    > >
    > > The %u tells KDE that the program can URLs itself, otherwise
    > > it plays save and assumes it can only do local files and
    > > downloads them (to the temp directory) before passing it to
    > > the program.

    > Thanks Kevin, but it still does the same thing. The associated
    > program was Opera, but it was launching Konq, which was number
    > two. I have no idea why. I moved Konq to the top and made sure
    > the command was as you said. It still loads to /var/tmp and
    > still launches Konq with the same results.

    Opera would work as well (just make sure it has a %u or %U in the command)

    > It seems to be an interesting problem. :-(

    Hmm.

    Check
    control center -> KDE components -> component chooser
    if you have an override for web browser

    Cheers,
    Kevin
    KDE user support, developer mentoring

  5. Re: Loading Of URLs To /var/tmp [Fixed]

    On Thursday 24 May 2007 18:11, Kevin Krammer wrote:
    > On Thursday 24 May 2007, Null Pointer wrote:
    > > On Thursday 24 May 2007 15:05, Kevin Krammer wrote:
    > > > This usually mean that the file type association has
    > > > been changed.
    > > >
    > > > Check control center -> KDE componentens and file type
    > > > associations for the text/html type.
    > > >
    > > > The associated program should be "Konqueror", on top of
    > > > the list and the command (Edit button) should be
    > > > "kfmclient openURL %u text/html"
    > > >
    > > > The %u tells KDE that the program can URLs itself,
    > > > otherwise it plays save and assumes it can only do local
    > > > files and downloads them (to the temp directory) before
    > > > passing it to the program.

    > > Thanks Kevin, but it still does the same thing. The
    > > associated program was Opera, but it was launching Konq,
    > > which was number two. I have no idea why. I moved Konq to
    > > the top and made sure the command was as you said. It
    > > still loads to /var/tmp and still launches Konq with the
    > > same results.

    > Opera would work as well (just make sure it has a %u or %U
    > in the command)
    >
    > > It seems to be an interesting problem. :-(

    > Hmm.
    >
    > Check
    > control center -> KDE components -> component chooser
    > if you have an override for web browser

    OK, progress. :-)

    Under Web Browser in the Component Chooser, the "in the
    following browser:" radio button was checked and the variable
    field had "kde-kfmclient." I checked the "in an application
    based on the contents of the URL" button instead, and
    everything seems to be working fine now.

    I don't remember ever changing anything in this area, although
    I can't say with 100% certainty that I didn't. In any case,
    thanks a lot for the help, Kevin, and thanks to all who work
    on KDE for the great software.

    NP