KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4! - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4! - Debian ; Hello, KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in unstable. If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet. ...

  1. KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    Hello,

    KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in unstable.
    If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another
    arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet.

    If you update while you're using your desktop enviroment and you notice
    some strange behaviour, please restart your desktop enviroment.

    At the same time we have been working in kde 3.5.7, we have started to work
    in packaging KDE 4, and we're aiming to publish packages for the next
    official development snapshot.

    If you want to know how to contribute, take a look at our website:
    http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/

    Ana

  2. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    Ana Guerrero kirjoitti ti 22. toukokuuta 2007 14:43:19:

    > Hello,
    >
    > KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in unstable.
    > If you're using i386 the update should go fine,

    Update went fine. Thanks for the work and congrats for the whole debian
    kde team for super fast release

    > At the same time we have been working in kde 3.5.7, we have started to work
    > in packaging KDE 4, and we're aiming to publish packages for the next
    > official development snapshot.

    Can't wait. Keep us posted if this happends.

    Petteri

    --
    ___. / \ .___
    "Y/|\ | 0 o / /|\Y"

  3. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    Ana Guerrero wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in unstable.
    > If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another
    > arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet.

    Thanks for your work. Debian users are blessed with a great KDE packaging
    team.

    Cheers,
    Charles

    --
    http://www.kde-france.org

  4. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    Am Dienstag 22 Mai 2007 14:43:19 schrieb Ana Guerrero:
    > Hello,
    >
    > KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in unstable.
    > If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another
    > arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet.

    Thank you for beeing that fast! Great work.

    I updated my amd64-system with no problems. So you matched my packageset

    I am looking forward to KDE4.

    Cheers,
    Wolfgang

  5. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    On Tuesday 22 May 2007, Wolfgang Mader wrote:
    > Am Dienstag 22 Mai 2007 14:43:19 schrieb Ana Guerrero:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in
    > > unstable. If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using
    > > another arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your
    > > arch yet.

    > Thank you for beeing that fast! Great work.
    >
    > I updated my amd64-system with no problems. So you matched my packageset
    >
    > I am looking forward to KDE4.

    No problems here either, amd64. The only package I'm waiting for is
    digikamimageplugins

    Jan
    --
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't
    recognize them.

  6. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

  7. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    El Martes, 22 de Mayo de 2007, Ana Guerrero escribió:
    > Hello,
    >
    > KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in unstable.
    > If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another
    > arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet.
    >
    > If you update while you're using your desktop enviroment and you notice
    > some strange behaviour, please restart your desktop enviroment.
    >
    > At the same time we have been working in kde 3.5.7, we have started to work
    > in packaging KDE 4, and we're aiming to publish packages for the next
    > official development snapshot.
    >
    > If you want to know how to contribute, take a look at our website:
    > http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/
    >
    > Ana

    Thanks for your great effort!. I think KDE packaging in Debian is one of the
    neatest and better done. Respecting unintrusively the conception of KDE.

    Unfortunately bad luck came close to me and this time I lost the bleeding
    edge of being one of the first Debian users trying the packages since I've
    had a problem with the Spanish mirror (rediris) :S

    Regards,

    --
    Raúl Sánchez Siles
    ----->Proud Debian user<-----

  8. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    Ana Guerrero wrote, on 2007-05-22 22:13:
    > Hello,
    >
    > KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in unstable.
    > If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another
    > arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet.
    >
    > If you update while you're using your desktop enviroment and you notice
    > some strange behaviour, please restart your desktop enviroment.
    >
    > At the same time we have been working in kde 3.5.7, we have started to work
    > in packaging KDE 4, and we're aiming to publish packages for the next
    > official development snapshot.
    >
    > If you want to know how to contribute, take a look at our website:
    > http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/
    >
    > Ana

    I had major problems with my upgrade.

    After rebooting having installed kde 3.5.7-1, I would get the graphical
    login screen, but once I logged in I was left with the blue background
    and nothing else. The mouse moved and I could use ctrl alt F1 .. F6 and
    ctrl alt backspace but I could not get the desktop loading.

    I finally returned to the desktop by some difficult to reproduce method
    of copying the /var/run/xauth/* file to ~/.Xauthority attempting to
    login via VT7 and then in a console session setting DISPLAY to ":0.0"
    and running startkde.

    I'm at a real loss on how to go about finding the actual problem and
    fixing things properly. Any suggestions?

    (I'm copying this into Debian bug #425526, where I reported this).

    Arthur.

  9. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 06:39:29PM +0200, Jan De Luyck wrote:
    > On Tuesday 22 May 2007, Wolfgang Mader wrote:
    > > Am Dienstag 22 Mai 2007 14:43:19 schrieb Ana Guerrero:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in
    > > > unstable. If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using
    > > > another arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your
    > > > arch yet.

    > > Thank you for beeing that fast! Great work.
    > >
    > > I updated my amd64-system with no problems. So you matched my packageset
    > >
    > > I am looking forward to KDE4.
    > >

    > No problems here either, amd64. The only package I'm waiting for is
    > digikamimageplugins

    I think digikamimageplugins is integrated into digikam 0.9.2, so it is no longer
    needed.

    --
    All the best,
    Christer S.

  10. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    Arthur Marsh wrote, on 2007-05-23 14:14:
    > Ana Guerrero wrote, on 2007-05-22 22:13:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in
    >> unstable.
    >> If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another
    >> arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet.
    >>
    >> If you update while you're using your desktop enviroment and you
    >> notice some strange behaviour, please restart your desktop enviroment.
    >> At the same time we have been working in kde 3.5.7, we have started to
    >> work in packaging KDE 4, and we're aiming to publish packages for the
    >> next
    >> official development snapshot.
    >>
    >> If you want to know how to contribute, take a look at our website:
    >> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/
    >>
    >> Ana
    >>

    > I had major problems with my upgrade.
    >
    > After rebooting having installed kde 3.5.7-1, I would get the graphical
    > login screen, but once I logged in I was left with the blue background
    > and nothing else. The mouse moved and I could use ctrl alt F1 .. F6 and
    > ctrl alt backspace but I could not get the desktop loading.
    >
    > I finally returned to the desktop by some difficult to reproduce method
    > of copying the /var/run/xauth/* file to ~/.Xauthority attempting to
    > login via VT7 and then in a console session setting DISPLAY to ":0.0"
    > and running startkde.
    >
    > I'm at a real loss on how to go about finding the actual problem and
    > fixing things properly. Any suggestions?
    >
    > (I'm copying this into Debian bug #425526, where I reported this).

    I'm still no better off after purging kdm, re-installing kdm and
    dependent kde packages at Etch level (normally I run Sid), reinstalling
    hal, dbus, pam and their associated libraries. I've also tried changing
    between 2.6.20, 2.6.21 and 2.6.22 kernels to no avail.

    Doing a graphical login results in one or two processes of the form:

    /bin/sh /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession /usr/bin/startkde

    but nothing else under my username until I login via a console session,
    set DISPLAY=":0.0", then run

    nohup startkde &

    which brings up a kde desktop session which sooner or later crashes.

    Please visit bugs.debian.org and enter 425526 for the details.

    I am eager for any more suggestions to try.

  11. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    On Wednesday 23 May 2007 19:36, Arthur Marsh wrote:
    > Arthur Marsh wrote, on 2007-05-23 14:14:
    > > Ana Guerrero wrote, on 2007-05-22 22:13:
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> KDE 3.5.7 is being released today and it is already available in
    > >> unstable.
    > >> If you're using i386 the update should go fine, if you're using another
    > >> arch, like amd64, some packages will not be available for your arch yet.
    > >>
    > >> If you update while you're using your desktop enviroment and you
    > >> notice some strange behaviour, please restart your desktop enviroment.
    > >> At the same time we have been working in kde 3.5.7, we have started to
    > >> work in packaging KDE 4, and we're aiming to publish packages for the
    > >> next
    > >> official development snapshot.
    > >>
    > >> If you want to know how to contribute, take a look at our website:
    > >> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/
    > >>
    > >> Ana

    > > I had major problems with my upgrade.
    > >
    > > After rebooting having installed kde 3.5.7-1, I would get the graphical
    > > login screen, but once I logged in I was left with the blue background
    > > and nothing else. The mouse moved and I could use ctrl alt F1 .. F6 and
    > > ctrl alt backspace but I could not get the desktop loading.
    > >
    > > I finally returned to the desktop by some difficult to reproduce method
    > > of copying the /var/run/xauth/* file to ~/.Xauthority attempting to
    > > login via VT7 and then in a console session setting DISPLAY to ":0.0"
    > > and running startkde.
    > >
    > > I'm at a real loss on how to go about finding the actual problem and
    > > fixing things properly. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > (I'm copying this into Debian bug #425526, where I reported this).

    > I'm still no better off after purging kdm, re-installing kdm and
    > dependent kde packages at Etch level (normally I run Sid), reinstalling
    > hal, dbus, pam and their associated libraries. I've also tried changing
    > between 2.6.20, 2.6.21 and 2.6.22 kernels to no avail.
    >
    > Doing a graphical login results in one or two processes of the form:
    >

    > /bin/sh /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession /usr/bin/startkde
    >
    > but nothing else under my username until I login via a console session,
    > set DISPLAY=":0.0", then run
    >
    > nohup startkde &
    >
    > which brings up a kde desktop session which sooner or later crashes.
    >
    > Please visit bugs.debian.org and enter 425526 for the details.
    >
    > I am eager for any more suggestions to try.

    How about try moving your .kde/ to .kde.orig and try logging in again. If
    that works, then some configuration files in your .kde are not happy with the
    upgrade. Or you can try creating another user and logging in via that user
    and seeing if things work. Then it is a matter of tracking down the
    offending settings in your original .kde/

    John

  12. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    John Schmidt wrote, on 2007-05-24 11:18:
    > On Wednesday 23 May 2007 19:36, Arthur Marsh wrote:

    >> Please visit bugs.debian.org and enter 425526 for the details.
    >>
    >> I am eager for any more suggestions to try.

    > How about try moving your .kde/ to .kde.orig and try logging in again. If
    > that works, then some configuration files in your .kde are not happy with the
    > upgrade. Or you can try creating another user and logging in via that user
    > and seeing if things work. Then it is a matter of tracking down the
    > offending settings in your original .kde/
    >
    > John

    Hi, I tried that early on and just tried it again in the last hour and
    there was no difference to the problem.

    I now have a kdm debug log (with changed passwords (- on
    bugs.debian.org under bug 425526 showing what happens when I log in.

    Arthur.

  13. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    On Thursday 24 May 2007, Arthur Marsh wrote:
    > John Schmidt wrote, on 2007-05-24 11:18:
    > > On Wednesday 23 May 2007 19:36, Arthur Marsh wrote:
    > >> Please visit bugs.debian.org and enter 425526 for the details.
    > >>
    > >> I am eager for any more suggestions to try.

    > > How about try moving your .kde/ to .kde.orig and try logging in again.
    > > If that works, then some configuration files in your .kde are not happy
    > > with the upgrade. Or you can try creating another user and logging in
    > > via that user and seeing if things work. Then it is a matter of tracking
    > > down the offending settings in your original .kde/
    > >
    > > John

    > Hi, I tried that early on and just tried it again in the last hour and
    > there was no difference to the problem.

    Try moving ~/.qt or check if there are any lock files in there (starting with
    a dot, so they are hidden) and remove them.

    I remember a weird case where Qt was hanging on one of its own lock files.

    Cheers,
    Kevin
    KDE user support, developer mentoring

  14. Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    Kevin Krammer wrote, on 2007-05-24 19:46:
    > On Thursday 24 May 2007, Arthur Marsh wrote:
    >> John Schmidt wrote, on 2007-05-24 11:18:

    >>> How about try moving your .kde/ to .kde.orig and try logging in again.
    >>> If that works, then some configuration files in your .kde are not happy
    >>> with the upgrade. Or you can try creating another user and logging in
    >>> via that user and seeing if things work. Then it is a matter of tracking
    >>> down the offending settings in your original .kde/
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> Hi, I tried that early on and just tried it again in the last hour and
    >> there was no difference to the problem.

    > Try moving ~/.qt or check if there are any lock files in there (starting with
    > a dot, so they are hidden) and remove them.
    >
    > I remember a weird case where Qt was hanging on one of its own lock files.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Kevin

    Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't change things.

    date
    Fri May 25 01:08:42 CST 2007
    amarsh04@victoria:~$ ls -alt .qt
    total 56
    drwxr-xr-x 2 amarsh04 amarsh04 4096 2007-05-25 01:05 .
    -rw-r--r-- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 1039 2007-05-25 01:05 qtrc
    drwxr-xr-x 131 amarsh04 amarsh04 28672 2007-05-25 01:05 ..
    -rw------- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 0 2007-05-25 00:58 .kstylerc.lock
    -rw------- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 0 2007-05-25 00:58
    ..qt_plugins_3.3rc.lock
    -rw------- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 0 2007-05-25 00:51 .qtrc.lock
    -rw-r--r-- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 2209 2007-05-21 15:44 qt_plugins_3.3rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 2699 2007-05-20 12:15 qjackctlrc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 70 2007-05-07 17:41 unixodbcrc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 113 2006-01-18 19:22 kstylerc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 amarsh04 amarsh04 315 2004-07-07 02:23 qt_plugins_3.2rc

    After manually starting kde 3.5.7 by

    DISPLAY=":0.0";export display
    nohup startkde &

    at 1:05 I have the following processes running:

    ps -ef|grep kd|more
    root 25 2 0 May24 ? 00:00:07 [kblockd/0]
    root 3164 2 0 May24 ? 00:00:00 [cifsoplockd]
    root 12736 1 0 01:03 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/kdm -config
    /var/run/kd
    m/kdmrc
    amarsh04 12783 12750 42 01:03 ? 00:03:21 /bin/sh
    /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession /
    usr/bin/startkde
    amarsh04 17173 15127 0 01:05 tty2 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/startkde
    root 17251 1 0 01:05 tty2 00:00:00 start_kdeinit
    --new-startup +kcm
    init_startup
    amarsh04 17264 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 kdeinit Running...

    amarsh04 17271 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 dcopserver [kdeinit] --nosid

    amarsh04 17275 17264 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 klauncher [kdeinit]
    --new-startu
    amarsh04 17291 1 2 01:05 ? 00:00:08 kded [kdeinit] --new-startup

    amarsh04 17394 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 ksmserver [kdeinit]

    amarsh04 17399 17264 0 01:05 ? 00:00:02 kwin [kdeinit] -session
    10e1de6d
    6f000111822617300000325660000_1180020494_24829
    amarsh04 17431 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:01 kdesktop [kdeinit]

    amarsh04 17453 1 3 01:05 ? 00:00:12 kicker [kdeinit]

    amarsh04 17591 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 kaccess [kdeinit]

    amarsh04 17595 17264 1 01:05 ? 00:00:04 konsole [kdeinit]
    -session 10e5d
    bccd5000117239308500000045910008_1180020490_546375 -name Qt-subapplication
    amarsh04 17615 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:02 kmix [kdeinit] -session
    10e5dbcc
    d5000117677498100000049050027_1180020490_438613
    amarsh04 17631 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 knotify [kdeinit]

    amarsh04 17639 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 klipper [kdeinit]

    Regards,

    Arthur.

  15. FIXED: /etc/X11/Xsession was incorrectly a symbolic link to /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession Re: KDE 3.5.7 in unstable and yes, we're working in KDE 4!

    After all the problems I had, I found that /etc/X11/Xsession was somehow
    a symbolic link to /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession, and reinstalling x11-common
    fixed things. I have no idea how this came about, as the link was dated
    some time in 2005, and I have been running kde most of the time.

    Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

    Arthur.