Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message - Debian

This is a discussion on Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message - Debian ; Hi. Each time I start KDE I get a message, "You are not permitted to connect to the powersave daemon via DBUS. Please check your DBUS configuration and installation." This happened with both the AMD64 and i386 installs. I have ...

  1. Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    Hi.

    Each time I start KDE I get a message,

    "You are not permitted to connect to the powersave daemon via DBUS.
    Please check your DBUS configuration and installation."

    This happened with both the AMD64 and i386 installs. I have made no
    changes to the HAL, DBUS or any other subsystem.

    Google searches are turning up a lot of translations of the phrase,
    but no help. Can someone suggest a avenue of investigation?

    Curt-

  2. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    On Thursday 17 May 2007, Curt Howland wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Each time I start KDE I get a message,
    >
    > "You are not permitted to connect to the powersave daemon via DBUS.
    > Please check your DBUS configuration and installation."
    >
    > This happened with both the AMD64 and i386 installs. I have made no
    > changes to the HAL, DBUS or any other subsystem.
    >
    > Google searches are turning up a lot of translations of the phrase,
    > but no help. Can someone suggest a avenue of investigation?

    Check if your user is member of the group "powerdev"

    Or more generally:
    Daemons with D-Bus interfaces on the D-Bus system bus can restrict who can
    call which of those functions.
    To tell the D-Bus daemon about this restrictions, they install a policy file
    in /etc/dbus-1/system.d

    In the example of powersave daemon, there is a file
    /etc/dbus-1/system.d/powersave.conf

    At the end it details what "desktop users" are allowed to do and it specifies
    that those users have to be in the group "powerdev"

    Cheers,
    Kevin

    KDE user support, developer mentoring

  3. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

  4. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    On Thursday 17 May 2007 20:35, Curt Howland Howland-at-priss.com |debian_kde|
    wrote:
    > Will it require a reboot maybe?

    No. The following will do.
    # /etc/init.d/powersaved restart

  5. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

  6. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    Hi,

    2007 m. May 18 d., Friday, Curt Howland ra:
    >Along with "chmod 777 /dev/dsp" which I always have to do by
    > hand with every install.

    Why? Just add the user(s) to the audio group. Installer does this by default.

    --
    Modestas Vainius

  7. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

  8. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    Hi,

    2007 m. May 18 d., Friday, Curt Howland rašė:
    > Just like the single user on the machine not being added to the
    > powerdev group automatically. If it had, we wouldn't be having this
    > discussion.

    Installer did this since sarge (for audio, video, cdrom, floppy, plugdev,
    dialout, dip and similar), iirc. By the way, this is done only for the user
    you create during installation. If you create a new user manually, you also
    have to add to the groups manually. Do you select the desktop task in
    tasksel?

    I'm not really sure about 'powerdev' group, it's pretty new. But I believe
    Etch installer should definitely add the user to this group when you
    choose 'laptop' task.

    > What user, new to Linux, is even going to know the addgroup command
    > exists? Or after 12 years of using Debian, someone like myself who
    > finds it more efficient to just change the permissions on the device
    > that seems to be broken?

    Making permissions 777 you sacrifice security for "ease of use" and
    convinience. It's your choice.

    > But thank you for the suggestion. I will go through and list all the
    > groups (by the only way I know how, cat /etc/group) and add the one
    > user to every group that isn't obviously wrong. Who knows what
    > problems this might cause?

    It will make your user more powerful. E.g. if you add your user to the
    group 'disk', you (or other process running with the rights of your user)
    potentially can do much harm without a warning, e.g.:

    $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/

    Other than weakened security, there should be no consiquences adding a userto
    a system group. Unless the group is very specialized.

    --
    Modestas Vainius

  9. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    On Friday 18 May 2007, Modestas Vainius was heard to say:
    > 2007 m. May 18 d., Friday, Curt Howland rašė:
    > > Just like the single user on the machine not being added to the
    > > powerdev group automatically. If it had, we wouldn't be having
    > > this discussion.

    > Installer did this since sarge (for audio, video, cdrom, floppy,
    > plugdev, dialout, dip and similar), iirc. By the way, this is done
    > only for the user you create during installation. If you create a
    > new user manually, you also have to add to the groups manually.

    I understand. All the problems I have run into have been for the user
    created during installation.

    > Do
    > you select the desktop task in tasksel?

    No, I do not use tasksel.

    > I'm not really sure about 'powerdev' group, it's pretty new. But I
    > believe Etch installer should definitely add the user to this group
    > when you choose 'laptop' task.

    At the end of the install, it does present me with the tasksel
    options, I unselect desktop (because I do not want GNOME) and leave
    laptop and standard. These problems still occurred.

    > > What user, new to Linux, is even going to know the addgroup
    > > command exists? Or after 12 years of using Debian, someone like
    > > myself who finds it more efficient to just change the permissions
    > > on the device that seems to be broken?

    > Making permissions 777 you sacrifice security for "ease of use" and
    > convinience. It's your choice.

    Since "addgroup" was unknown until yesterday, I didn't sacrifice
    anything for convenience. I fixed a problem that otherwise would make
    the machine _UNUSABLE_.

    So sure, "it's my choice", but that or go back to Windows? Yeah, some
    choice.

    You might also notice that, with my rhetorical question about problems
    that it might cause, I am fully aware that adding a user to every
    group sacrifices security.

    - --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  10. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    Curt Howland wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Each time I start KDE I get a message,
    >
    > "You are not permitted to connect to the powersave daemon via DBUS.
    > Please check your DBUS configuration and installation."
    >
    > This happened with both the AMD64 and i386 installs. I have made no
    > changes to the HAL, DBUS or any other subsystem.
    >
    > Google searches are turning up a lot of translations of the phrase,
    > but no help. Can someone suggest a avenue of investigation?

    Hi Curt,

    it's always a good idea, after installing a package, to read
    /usr/share/doc/$package/README.Debian, if existent.

    If you do that for powersaved, this whole issue is explained there in
    detail.

    And as already outlined earlier, for new installations, the default user
    is automatically added to groups like powerdev (power management),
    netdev (network-manager) and plugdev (mounting of removable devices).

    On a upgrade this is unfortunately not possible to do in an automated
    fashion, as we can't know, which user is the default one.
    So the only option is to document the necessary steps, which is usually
    done in a README.Debian file.

    Cheers,
    Michael (maintainer of powersave+kpowersave)

    universe are pointed away from Earth?

  11. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    On Friday 18 May 2007 it was so written:
    > it's always a good idea, after installing a package, to read
    > /usr/share/doc/$package/README.Debian, if existent.

    Hahaha, if I did that I'd be reading them to the exclusion of all
    else! :^) Debian has a _lot_ of packages, and I usually run Sid.

    > If you do that for powersaved, this whole issue is explained there
    > in detail.

    Ah, but if I had done that, I would have been looking at the page for
    DBUS. Oh well, water under the bridge. Lots of thanks to the people
    who said "powersave group". Now I'll know to look at groups as
    a "usual suspect" early in diagnostics.

    > And as already outlined earlier, for new installations, the default
    > user is automatically added to groups like powerdev (power
    > management), netdev (network-manager) and plugdev (mounting of
    > removable devices).

    Ah, but only if one uses tasksel. For every other procedure, it seems,
    it's an "upgrade", which as you point out....

    > On a upgrade this is unfortunately not possible to do in an
    > automated fashion, as we can't know, which user is the default one.

    If tasksel had "KDE desktop" during the initial setup, I wouldn't have
    a 1000+ package "upgrade" to hammer out in dselect afterwords.

    But such is life. If it were easy, any MCSE could do it.

    "Check group before permissions". Got it. And a big Thank You.

    > Cheers,
    > Michael (maintainer of powersave+kpowersave)

    Curt-
    (just a user.)

    - --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  12. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    Hi,

    2007 m. May 19 d., Saturday, Curt Howland ra:
    > If tasksel had "KDE desktop" during the initial setup, I wouldn't have
    > a 1000+ package "upgrade" to hammer out in dselect afterwords.

    Are you aware that official Debian Etch KDE installation CD[1] is available?
    You can painlessly use tasksel with it. Or if you're installing from DVD1,
    just type[2] at installer DVD boot prompt. In both cases you will end up with
    a nice KDE desktop.

    1.
    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...6-kde-CD-1.iso

    2. install tasks=kde-desktop, standard

    --
    Modestas Vainius

  13. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

  14. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

  15. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

    Hi,

    2007 m. May 19 d., Saturday, Curt Howland rašė:
    > By Cromm, who needs other distributions, when there are so many
    > variations just within Debian?

    GNOME and KDE are so big, that they don't fit on one CD together.

  16. Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

  17. Noobie question - Editing KDE Menu under Debian

    G'day,

    I recently moved from Fedora to Debian. Now, of course, I have a
    completely new KDE menu structure to deal with.

    I'd like to re-organise it _extensively_ so that it reflects my needs,
    rather than the assumptions of the distro designers. I've looked over
    the documentation for the menu standard (structure of the XML files etc)
    and realised that, with all the merging of menus that's going on it's
    going to be a large task (either I set aside a block of several hours on
    a single day to work through the whole thing, or take it on
    progressively in small, manageable chunks).

    Ideally, I'd like to get to the position where each of my multiple
    desktops has its own menu - say one for office apps, one for system
    admin and occasionally programming, one for graphics and one (maybe) for
    the fun stuff. Is this even remotely possible and if so how?

    Cheers,

    Paul

  18. Re: Noobie question - Editing KDE Menu under Debian

    Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
    > One way you can customize the KDE menu to your liking (per-user) is by using
    > kmenuedit. I don't know if you can do a different menu per-desktop or not;
    > that's something I've never heard of anyone doing before.
    >
    > Of course, you could always request that feature upstream, or add it
    > yourself. =)

    I have been thinking about going the "add it myself" route - but that
    introduces a whole slew of other issues

    Maybe I'll just have to wrap my head around the menu XML format -
    kmenuedit is fine for per user edits - the "fun" starts when you want to
    edit a merged system menu (such as the Debian menu) and it isn't one of
    yours.

    I've played around with the kiosk editor a bit - all I've managed to do
    is confuse myself.

    Now, what's this "request it upstream" business? I reckon I could make a
    pretty good case for the request, based on improved useability!

    Cheers

    Paul

  19. Re: Noobie question - Editing KDE Menu under Debian

    On Saturday 19 May 2007 18:46:35 Paul Bamford wrote:
    > Ideally, I'd like to get to the position where each of my multiple
    > desktops has its own menu - say one for office apps, one for system
    > admin and occasionally programming, one for graphics and one (maybe) for
    > the fun stuff. Is this even remotely possible and if so how?

    One way you can customize the KDE menu to your liking (per-user) is by using
    kmenuedit. I don't know if you can do a different menu per-desktop or not;
    that's something I've never heard of anyone doing before.

    Of course, you could always request that feature upstream, or add it
    yourself. =)

    --
    Wesley J. Landaker
    OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2

+ Reply to Thread