Get wirless working - Debian

This is a discussion on Get wirless working - Debian ; I love debian. I guess we all do here. Recently, thoguh, I had to switch to Kubuntu =only= because wireless on my laptop JUST WORKED. I have an HP zt3000 with one of those Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless cards built ...

  1. Get wirless working

    I love debian. I guess we all do here.

    Recently, thoguh, I had to switch to Kubuntu =only= because wireless on my laptop JUST
    WORKED.

    I have an HP zt3000 with one of those Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless cards built in.
    It has been horrible to try to get working despite any instructions found on the
    Internet. The instruction on the site for this (http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/) was
    tricky as it only focused on getting that one piece working and not networking as a
    whole.

    DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com/) has had ubuntu at the top of their list going back
    to 2005 - its ashame when I know that debian is really the heart and soul of dopey
    ubuntu.

    Im sure debian would shoot to the top of the list if a few more things (like wireless)
    "just worked" like it does with my Kbuntu.

    Couldn't someone work on this problem for debian - or talk to the ubuntu people to get a
    copy to be included in the next release and apt sources?

    Somethings I don't mind figuring out and there is a great sense of accomplishment; but
    getting wireless working is not one of them.

    ~david (and many other debian users I talk to)

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

  2. Re: Get wirless working

    On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 12:43 -0700, DavidDutch1964 wrote:
    > I love debian. I guess we all do here.
    >
    > Recently, thoguh, I had to switch to Kubuntu =only= because wireless on my laptop JUST
    > WORKED.
    >
    > I have an HP zt3000 with one of those Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless cards built in.
    > It has been horrible to try to get working despite any instructions found on the
    > Internet. The instruction on the site for this (http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/) was
    > tricky as it only focused on getting that one piece working and not networking as a
    > whole.
    >
    > DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com/) has had ubuntu at the top of their list going back
    > to 2005 - its ashame when I know that debian is really the heart and soul of dopey
    > ubuntu.
    >
    > Im sure debian would shoot to the top of the list if a few more things (like wireless)
    > "just worked" like it does with my Kbuntu.
    >
    > Couldn't someone work on this problem for debian - or talk to the ubuntu people to get a
    > copy to be included in the next release and apt sources?
    >
    > Somethings I don't mind figuring out and there is a great sense of accomplishment; but
    > getting wireless working is not one of them.
    >
    > ~david (and many other debian users I talk to)

    Noob 1st time poster: I too love Debian and use it as my main OS on my box. I also had Etch running on my IBM T43 and
    actually got the ipw2200 working till a kernel upgrade came through and then I lost wireless and being a noob I
    couldn't get it going again :-)
    I tried Linux Mint (Cassandra) and only one click got my wireless working.
    All the Beryl things work out of the box too. And the T43 doesn't have Nvidia.
    Regards
    Geoff

  3. Re: Get wirless working

    geoff wrote:

    > On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 12:43 -0700, DavidDutch1964 wrote:
    >> I love debian. I guess we all do here.
    >>
    >> Recently, thoguh, I had to switch to Kubuntu =only= because wireless on
    >> my laptop JUST WORKED.
    >>
    >> I have an HP zt3000 with one of those Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless
    >> cards built in. It has been horrible to try to get working despite any
    >> instructions found on the Internet. The instruction on the site for this
    >> (http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/) was tricky as it only focused on
    >> getting that one piece working and not networking as a whole.
    >>
    >> DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com/) has had ubuntu at the top of their
    >> list going back to 2005 - its ashame when I know that debian is really
    >> the heart and soul of dopey ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Im sure debian would shoot to the top of the list if a few more things
    >> (like wireless) "just worked" like it does with my Kbuntu.
    >>
    >> Couldn't someone work on this problem for debian - or talk to the ubuntu
    >> people to get a copy to be included in the next release and apt sources?
    >>
    >> Somethings I don't mind figuring out and there is a great sense of
    >> accomplishment; but getting wireless working is not one of them.
    >>
    >> ~david (and many other debian users I talk to)

    > Noob 1st time poster: I too love Debian and use it as my main OS on my
    > box. I also had Etch running on my IBM T43 and actually got the ipw2200
    > working till a kernel upgrade came through and then I lost wireless and
    > being a noob I couldn't get it going again :-) I tried Linux Mint
    > (Cassandra) and only one click got my wireless working. All the Beryl
    > things work out of the box too. And the T43 doesn't have Nvidia. Regards
    > Geoff

    Everything is true, but never forgetĀ*: Debian is ROCK-solid. Such cannot be
    said about Ubuntu...

    Regards,

    Didier
    --
    Gmane

  4. Re: Get wirless working

    Am Dienstag 15 Mai 2007 21:43 schrieb DavidDutch1964:
    > I love debian. I guess we all do here.
    >
    > Recently, thoguh, I had to switch to Kubuntu =only= because wireless on my
    > laptop JUST WORKED.
    >
    > I have an HP zt3000 with one of those Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless
    > cards built in. It has been horrible to try to get working despite any
    > instructions found on the Internet. The instruction on the site for this
    > (http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/) was tricky as it only focused on getting
    > that one piece working and not networking as a whole.
    >
    > DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com/) has had ubuntu at the top of their
    > list going back to 2005 - its ashame when I know that debian is really the
    > heart and soul of dopey ubuntu.
    >
    > Im sure debian would shoot to the top of the list if a few more things
    > (like wireless) "just worked" like it does with my Kbuntu.
    >
    > Couldn't someone work on this problem for debian - or talk to the ubuntu
    > people to get a copy to be included in the next release and apt sources?
    >
    > Somethings I don't mind figuring out and there is a great sense of
    > accomplishment; but getting wireless working is not one of them.

    What exactly was your problem with KDE?
    PEBKAC, I assume, because all needed packages already exist in Debian. Still,
    this has _nothing_ to do with KDE.

    HS