Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole? - Debian

  1. Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    Does anyone know of there is a decent KDE equivalent of xconsole?
    Preferably something that would minimize into the systray.

    TIA,
    FJP

  2. Re: Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    On Thursday 26 April 2007 01:51, Frans Pop wrote:
    > Does anyone know of there is a decent KDE equivalent of xconsole?
    > Preferably something that would minimize into the systray.
    >
    > TIA,
    > FJP

    I use konsol for this purpose. If you installed the kde desktop system it
    should be listed as an x-shell in your debian menu. It can also be run as
    superuser from the menu in system > more applications> Terminal Program
    Super User Mode
    You can put most application either in the system tray or the taskbar where
    ever you like by right clicking on the taskbar and following the instructions
    in the pop up.
    Best wishes
    --
    John W. Foster

  3. Re: Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    On Thursday 26 April 2007 16:59, John W. Foster wrote:
    > I use konsol for this purpose. If you installed the kde desktop system

    I suspect you mean "konsole"? That is probably the program I use most :-)
    However, I'm not looking for a terminal emulator, but for something that
    will display console messages, just like xconsole does.

    But thanks for your reply.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  4. Re: Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    Frans Pop wrote:

    > However, I'm not looking for a terminal emulator, but for something that
    > will display console messages, just like xconsole does.

    I am afraid that there is nothing (at least in debian). Maybe karamba to
    display it on desktop.

    konsole and xconsole is running here too.

    thank you
    Markus

    --
    http://www.markus-raab.org | Keine Schneeflocke in der Lawine wird sich
    -o) | je verantwortlich fühlen. -- Stanislaw

  5. Re: Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    Markus Raab wrote:

    > Frans Pop wrote:
    >
    >> However, I'm not looking for a terminal emulator, but for something that
    >> will display console messages, just like xconsole does.

    > I am afraid that there is nothing (at least in debian). Maybe karamba to
    > display it on desktop.

    Actually, by coincidence I was playing with Etch kdm earlier today and
    noticed in one of the READMEs in /usr/share/doc/kdm that there's a
    command-line switch that makes kdm offer some kind of xconsole window -
    this feature having been added by request of SuSE if I remember rightly.

    I'm on, uh, a different OS at the moment so I can't give any better detail.

    Cheers,
    Nick Boyce

  6. Re: Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 10:44:22PM +0000, Nick Boyce wrote:

    > Actually, by coincidence I was playing with Etch kdm earlier today and
    > noticed in one of the READMEs in /usr/share/doc/kdm that there's a
    > command-line switch that makes kdm offer some kind of xconsole window -
    > this feature having been added by request of SuSE if I remember rightly.

    It's not a command-line switch; /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup contains a
    commented-out xconsole line:

    #xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail
    -file /dev/xconsole &

    You can uncomment this to include an xconsole in your kdm. I find it
    useful for checking what Network Manager has logged about my network
    status before attempting remote logins.

    Dave
    --
    Dave Page
    Jabber: grimoire@jabber.earth.li

  7. Re: Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    On Saturday 28 April 2007 00:44, Nick Boyce wrote:
    > Actually, by coincidence I was playing with Etch kdm earlier today and
    > noticed in one of the READMEs in /usr/share/doc/kdm that there's a
    > command-line switch that makes kdm offer some kind of xconsole window
    > - this feature having been added by request of SuSE if I remember
    > rightly.

    Yes, I'm aware of that, but that is only displayed while logging in and
    still uses xconsole.

    It seems this is just an app that nobody has bothered to write yet. It
    would be nice to have though, especially if it would have some filtering
    options so you could suppress certain messages.

  8. Re: Is there a KDE equivalent of xconsole?

    Frans Pop wrote:

    > Does anyone know of there is a decent KDE equivalent of xconsole?
    > Preferably something that would minimize into the systray.

    Frans,

    I'm not sure how much your requirement is. But if you can live with having
    the text display on the desktop, root-tail can help you.

    Otherwise, konsole + `tail -f foo` should suffice.

    Ritesh
    --
    If possible, Please CC me when replying. I'm not subscribed to the list.