#408344 bug408344: removing kdeedu package should not remove kde - Debian

This is a discussion on #408344 bug408344: removing kdeedu package should not remove kde - Debian ; Hello all, Because Etch have been released as stable, and I'm already using lenny, I think this is a good time to discuss about this bug. Please visit the URL below: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=408344 When I first install KDE, I use the ...

  1. #408344 bug408344: removing kdeedu package should not remove kde

    Hello all,

    Because Etch have been released as stable, and I'm already using lenny, I
    think this is a good time to discuss about this bug.

    Please visit the URL below:

    When I first install KDE, I use the command apt-get install kde, where the
    dependency requirement will automatically install all the required packages.

    Looking at KDE package information, kde depends on kde-amusements and
    kde-amusements depends on kdeedu

    Thus removing kdeedu will break kde-amusements. To satisfy the dependency,
    kde-amusements must be removed, but it will break kde. Removing kde will
    remove everything.

    I'm not sure how to resolve this issue, but having a forward dependency, but
    not backward might solve this issue.

    Ideas welcomed.

    Thanks.
    --
    Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

  2. Re: #408344 bug408344: removing kdeedu package should not remove kde

    On Wednesday 11 April 2007, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:
    > Please visit the URL below:

    > When I first install KDE, I use the command apt-get install kde, where
    > the dependency requirement will automatically install all the required
    > packages.
    >
    > Looking at KDE package information, kde depends on kde-amusements and
    > kde-amusements depends on kdeedu
    >
    > Thus removing kdeedu will break kde-amusements. To satisfy the
    > dependency, kde-amusements must be removed, but it will break kde.
    > Removing kde will remove everything.
    >
    > I'm not sure how to resolve this issue, but having a forward dependency,
    > but not backward might solve this issue.

    that's not a bug here's why:
    - the kde package is expected to pull in _all_ kde packages, so yes it
    should pull in kdeedu, sounds like what you want is the kde-core package
    - metapackages like kde or kdeedu contain nothing, they only specify
    dependencies
    -> removing _just_ the metapackage can be done without losing any software

    HOWEVER aptitude tries to be 'smart' when removing packages, trying to
    ensure no unneeded packages remain. By default aptitude will remove all
    packages installed because package A depends on them when you remove
    package A.

    -> the problem is in the 'smarts' of aptitude not being smart enough
    => the solution is making aptitude smart enought to handle metapackages
    which it currently isn't
    => short term you probably want to explicitly tell aptitude what it
    needs to do (from [1] that sune pointed you to in your bug):
    a shortcut in the visual interface would be to jump into the
    depends screen and hit 'm' on the Depends tree (maybe also on
    Recommends). Thus explicitly telling aptitude to leave the packages
    alone.

    Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

+ Reply to Thread