address bar placement in konqueror - Debian

This is a discussion on address bar placement in konqueror - Debian ; Hi List, I always wondered how I could place the address bar in the same row as the toolbar buttons. I started to believe it's impossible with konqueror (drag and drop wouldn't work), but suddenly it began placing the bar ...

  1. address bar placement in konqueror

    Hi List,

    I always wondered how I could place the address bar in the same row as the
    toolbar buttons. I started to believe it's impossible with konqueror (drag
    and drop wouldn't work), but suddenly it began placing the bar up there when
    I viewed pictures instead of html-pages.
    Now I saw this screenshot [1] which actually solves what I am trying. Any
    hints how to achieve that?

    Christoph

    [1]
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...onqueror-1.png

  2. Re: address bar placement in konqueror

    On Sunday 25 March 2007 13:05:51 Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    > I always wondered how I could place the address bar in the same row as the
    > toolbar buttons. I started to believe it's impossible with konqueror (drag
    > and drop wouldn't work), but suddenly it began placing the bar up there
    > when I viewed pictures instead of html-pages.
    > Now I saw this screenshot [1] which actually solves what I am trying. Any
    > hints how to achieve that?

    There's (at least) a couple ways to accomplish that.

    One way is to shorten your main toolbar (remove icons from it) so that the
    location toolbar doesn't "wrap" onto the next line. This is possibly why
    your location bar moves when viewing images, since (depending on your
    embedded image viewer) the picture view may use less icons in the main
    toolbar than the regular HTML view.

    The other (more reliable) way to achieve this is to directly add the location
    bar itself to the main toolbar. To do this, you'll need to go to
    the "Configure Toolbars" dialog and remove the "Location Bar" entry from the
    Location Toolbar. Then, you can select the Main Toolbar and add
    the "Location Bar" entry there. (Konqueror won't show the location bar in
    the main toolbar if it's included in both places.)

    As for the screenshot at Wikimedia Commons, that's Kubuntu's implementation of
    Konqueror. As I recall, Kubuntu uses that configuration of Konqueror as
    default, though I don't know how exactly they've achieved it.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Jeffrey M. Smith
    Jabber: jeffsmith@jabber.org

    Debian Hint #15: The documentation for a package can normally be found
    under /usr/share/doc/. In particular, the README.Debian file often
    has useful information about Debian-specific quirks or tips.

  3. Re: address bar placement in konqueror

    Am Sonntag, 25. März 2007 schrieb Jeffrey M. Smith:
    > On Sunday 25 March 2007 13:05:51 Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    > > I always wondered how I could place the address bar in the same row as
    > > the toolbar buttons. I started to believe it's impossible with konqueror
    > > (drag and drop wouldn't work), but suddenly it began placing the bar up
    > > there when I viewed pictures instead of html-pages.
    > > Now I saw this screenshot [1] which actually solves what I am trying. Any
    > > hints how to achieve that?

    [snip]

    > The other (more reliable) way to achieve this is to directly add the
    > location bar itself to the main toolbar. To do this, you'll need to go to
    > the "Configure Toolbars" dialog and remove the "Location Bar" entry from
    > the Location Toolbar. Then, you can select the Main Toolbar and add
    > the "Location Bar" entry there. (Konqueror won't show the location bar in
    > the main toolbar if it's included in both places.)

    [snip]

    Thanks, that did the job. It really feels good now and that's pretty much more
    space on a 15''. Your trick worked and Inow wonder how the average user
    should find out about removing the address field from the address toolbar so
    that it would display in the main toolbar. I wouldn't have though of that.

    Now I'm left with removing the blue kget arrow (it keeps coming back ).

    Christoph

  4. Re: address bar placement in konqueror

    Christoph Burgmer wrote:

    > Am Sonntag, 25. März 2007 schrieb Jeffrey M. Smith:
    >> On Sunday 25 March 2007 13:05:51 Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    >> > I always wondered how I could place the address bar in the same row as
    >> > the toolbar buttons. I started to believe it's impossible with konqueror
    >> > (drag and drop wouldn't work), but suddenly it began placing the bar up
    >> > there when I viewed pictures instead of html-pages.
    >> > Now I saw this screenshot [1] which actually solves what I am trying. Any
    >> > hints how to achieve that?

    > [snip]
    >
    >> The other (more reliable) way to achieve this is to directly add the
    >> location bar itself to the main toolbar. To do this, you'll need to go to
    >> the "Configure Toolbars" dialog and remove the "Location Bar" entry from
    >> the Location Toolbar. Then, you can select the Main Toolbar and add
    >> the "Location Bar" entry there. (Konqueror won't show the location bar in
    >> the main toolbar if it's included in both places.)

    > [snip]
    >
    > Thanks, that did the job. It really feels good now and that's pretty much more
    > space on a 15''. Your trick worked and Inow wonder how the average user
    > should find out about removing the address field from the address toolbar so
    > that it would display in the main toolbar. I wouldn't have though of that.
    >
    > Now I'm left with removing the blue kget arrow (it keeps coming back ).
    >
    > Christoph

    I don't think adding the addressbar into the Main Toolbar always works. Atleast,
    never worked for me.
    This bug has been filed in KDE since 2001 and is not fixed.

    The workaround is that when you get to see the addressbar going to the 2nd row
    and not coming back:
    a) Right click inside the Address Bar.
    b) Do a "Clear History"
    c) Restart Konqueror.