Remote KDE desktop? - Debian

This is a discussion on Remote KDE desktop? - Debian ; I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my office. I have installed Debian ETCH KDE on a new computer in the server room next to my office. What do I need to do to bring up ...

  1. Remote KDE desktop?

    I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my office. I have installed Debian ETCH
    KDE on a new computer in the server room next to my office.

    What do I need to do to bring up the KDE from the server on the computer in my office?

    We are just starting to use Linux in our department and no one here knows much about it.

    --
    Stephen Frazier
    Information Technology Unit

  2. Re: Remote KDE desktop?

    Hi

    > I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my office. I
    > have installed Debian ETCH
    > KDE on a new computer in the server room next to my office.

    There is some options, but I think that the most easy and secury is log in
    the safe mode in our office, this is a simple X session. Them in the
    terminal you should open one ssh session with : ssh -X ip_from_you_server

    them you open kde with starkde

    Before do this things you have make sure that your server haves a ssh
    server working, to do that as root use in terminal: sshd

    With a 10M/s lan connection kde will run prety fast remotely.

    cheers

    Maicon Saul Faria,
    Universidade de São Paulo,
    São Paulo-Brasil.

    > What do I need to do to bring up the KDE from the server on the computer
    > in my office?
    >
    > We are just starting to use Linux in our department and no one here knows
    > much about it.
    >
    > --
    > Stephen Frazier
    > Information Technology Unit
    > Oklahoma Department of Corrections
    > 3400 Martin Luther King
    > Oklahoma City, Ok, 73111-4298
    > Tel.: (405) 425-2549
    > Fax: (405) 425-2554
    > Pager: (405) 690-1828
    > email: stevef%doc.state.ok.us

  3. Re: Remote KDE desktop?

    On Friday 09 March 2007 20:37 +0100, maicon@fisica.ufsc.br wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > > I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my office. I
    > > have installed Debian ETCH
    > > KDE on a new computer in the server room next to my office.

    > There is some options, but I think that the most easy and secury is log in
    > the safe mode in our office, this is a simple X session. Them in the
    > terminal you should open one ssh session with : ssh -X ip_from_you_server
    >
    > them you open kde with starkde

    This will be bad if the local X server is already running KDE, because
    startkde will again start panel, desktop, etc.

    It really depends on the usage scenario:

    - remote login: XDMCP has to be enabled on the "server" machine and the local
    X server needs to be started to query the server machine

    - remote desktop: when one also wants local login and just needs to work with
    the "server" machine's desktop now and then. IMHO best accomplished through
    NoMachine's NX technology (www.nomachine.com)

    Cheers,
    Kevin
    KDE user support, developer mentoring

  4. Re: Remote KDE desktop?

    On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 11:54:53AM -0600, Stephen Frazier wrote:

    > I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my office. I
    > have installed Debian ETCH KDE on a new computer in the server room
    > next to my office.

    > What do I need to do to bring up the KDE from the server on the
    > computer in my office?

    On the server, edit the file /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc - this controls the KDM
    display server. Look for the section headed [Xdmcp] and change the line
    which says Enable=false to Enable=true

    Then restart KDM on the server with:

    invoke-rc.d kdm restart

    Now on the desktop, at your KDM login screen, you can select "Remote
    Login". If your server and desktop are on the same IP network, you
    should see the server listed in the remote login screen. Otherwise you
    may have to enter the hostname or IP by hand.

    Dave
    --
    Dave Page
    Jabber: grimoire@jabber.earth.li

  5. Re: Remote KDE desktop?

  6. Re: Remote KDE desktop?

    Thank you, it almost works.

    When I do the "Remote Login" it has my server listed under Hostname.
    Under Status is says "Display not authorized to connect"
    When I try to select it, I go back to the logon screen.
    Is there something else I need to change?

    --
    Stephen Frazier
    Information Technology Unit
    Oklahoma Department of Corrections
    3400 Martin Luther King
    Oklahoma City, Ok, 73111-4298
    Tel.: (405) 425-2549
    Fax: (405) 425-2554
    Pager: (405) 690-1828
    email: stevef%doc.state.ok.us

  7. Re: Remote KDE desktop?

    There are many ways. I'm using my laptop to start programs and my
    desktop to display the applications since years.

    The most simple thing was already mentioned: ssh -X (name/IP of machine
    next room). This needs some ssh config issues to be solved:

    You need a file config in .ssh of both machines:
    Host *
    Compression yes
    ForwardX11 yes
    Protocol 2,1
    ForwardAgent yes

    once you did that, do:

    ssh -X (other host)

    e.g. kontact &>/dev/null &

    you can also use Konqueror to start programs. Use Help->Konqueror
    Introduction and chose the item "Applications" which will give you
    access to the menu on the remote machine.

    a very useful program in this scenario is "k"
    http://tothink.com/k/

    Note that if you use ssh to log in, all the X session including all the
    passwords you type are encrypted. Otherwise, one could snoop the X
    session in the network.

    Hope this works for you, for me it works great and I really use most X
    remote features ...

    Best,

    Rigo

    On Saturday 10 March 2007 06:41, Stephen Frazier wrote:
    > Thank you, it almost works.
    >
    > When I do the "Remote Login" it has my server listed under Hostname.
    > Under Status is says "Display not authorized to connect"
    > When I try to select it, I go back to the logon screen.
    > Is there something else I need to change?
    >
    > Dave Page wrote:
    > > On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 11:54:53AM -0600, Stephen Frazier wrote:
    > >> I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my
    > >> office. I have installed Debian ETCH KDE on a new computer in the
    > >> server room next to my office.
    > >>
    > >> What do I need to do to bring up the KDE from the server on the
    > >> computer in my office?

    > > On the server, edit the file /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc - this controls
    > > the KDM display server. Look for the section headed [Xdmcp] and
    > > change the line which says Enable=false to Enable=true
    > >
    > > Then restart KDM on the server with:
    > >
    > > invoke-rc.d kdm restart
    > >
    > > Now on the desktop, at your KDM login screen, you can select
    > > "Remote Login". If your server and desktop are on the same IP
    > > network, you should see the server listed in the remote login
    > > screen. Otherwise you may have to enter the hostname or IP by hand.
    > >
    > > Dave

    > --
    > Stephen Frazier
    > Information Technology Unit
    > Oklahoma Department of Corrections
    > 3400 Martin Luther King
    > Oklahoma City, Ok, 73111-4298
    > Tel.: (405) 425-2549
    > Fax: (405) 425-2554
    > Pager: (405) 690-1828
    > email: stevef%doc.state.ok.us

  8. Re: Remote KDE desktop?

    Hi,

    | I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my
    | office. I have installed Debian ETCH KDE on a new computer in the
    | server room next to my office.
    |
    | What do I need to do to bring up the KDE from the server on the
    | computer in my office?

    As many people suggested, the "ssh -X" route or the XDMCP are the
    simplest, I think. On the other hand, the "remote desktop" avenue
    is the most versatile. Run a VNC server on the server machine
    and allow remote access through the KDE control center. Then,
    you can control the whole KDE of the server from a remote machine,
    be it a Windows, Mac, Unix, or Linux. I once tested this. I was
    able to control the KDE desktop of my office machine from home.
    Unfortunately, it was so slow that I gave it up. But, if you use
    your machine in your next room, it would be fine, I suppose.
    I'm afraid I forgot the details of what I did at the time, though.
    I'm merely pointing out that it's possible.

    Cheers,
    Ryo