Proper way to configure input devices - Debian

This is a discussion on Proper way to configure input devices - Debian ; Hello, since I've purchased a new keyboard + mouse (wireless, from BenQ) I ask myself which is the right way to set up input devices for X.org 7 and KDE (3.5.4, Debian sid). I'm using a laptop computer with a ...

  1. Proper way to configure input devices

    Hello,

    since I've purchased a new keyboard + mouse (wireless, from BenQ) I ask myself
    which is the right way to set up input devices for X.org 7 and KDE (3.5.4,
    Debian sid).

    I'm using a laptop computer with a synaptics touchpad. Sometimes I've just the
    built-in keyboard and touchpad, and sometimes I connect my external devices,
    so I need a setup which works for all cases.

    My current X.org setup looks like this (just the relevant parts):

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "USB Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    InputDevice "USB Mouse"
    EndSection

    As you can see, I'm obviously still using the old X-style (and driver) for the
    USB mouse. Some howtos say that the new driver in X.org would be evdev, which
    I couldn't get to work. For evdev, you have to configure the device directly,
    like /dev/input/event2 - but what happens if I plug in another mouse - which
    propably will have /dev/input/event3? Is there something like /dev/input/mice
    for use with evdev? Anyway, is evdev the recommended way now?

    Another problem is the speed of the mouse: the new one has a resolution of
    800dpi, which obviously makes the mouse faster. Even little movements result
    in a jumping, fast moving pointer on the screen. This makes selecting of e.g.
    small icons on my desktop quite hard, as it got more difficult to controll
    the movement of the mouse. I tried to set the acceleration-setting for the
    mouse pointer in the KDE control centre, but this doesn't show any effect
    (even after restarting KDE). I read a suggestion to configure the mouse via
    xset (e.g. xset m 5 10), but this doesn't show any effect either. Does anyone
    know why the mouse-settings don't show any effect? What am I missing? It
    would be great to apply settings for individual mice as I use differend
    models of mice at different places (as I'm moving around with my laptop
    computer from site to site).

    Hope I did explain my issues regarding input devices on my laptop computer
    clearly. Thanks for any advice in advance!

    Kind regards,

    Christian

    PS: I'm crossposting this to the debian-kde list as I'm unable to configure
    the mouse via KDE.

  2. Re: Proper way to configure input devices

    On 8/1/06, Christian Schuerer wrote:

    Another problem is the speed of the mouse: the new one has a resolution of
    > 800dpi, which obviously makes the mouse faster. Even little movements
    > result
    > in a jumping, fast moving pointer on the screen. This makes selecting of
    > e.g.
    > small icons on my desktop quite hard, as it got more difficult to controll
    > the movement of the mouse. I tried to set the acceleration-setting for the
    > mouse pointer in the KDE control centre, but this doesn't show any effect
    > (even after restarting KDE). I read a suggestion to configure the mouse
    > via
    > xset (e.g. xset m 5 10), but this doesn't show any effect either. Does
    > anyone
    > know why the mouse-settings don't show any effect? What am I missing? It

    This is my solution to reduce the mouse speed. It works fine for me,
    however, I am pretty sure there are smarter solutions:
    Besides the settings in KDE control center, the mouse speed can be
    influenced by xset, however, I found that when launching KDE all prior
    settings are overwritten by the KDE settings. It is therefore necessary to
    create a startup script ~/.kde/Autostart/startup which is executed after KDE
    is launched.

    #!/bin/bash
    # ~/.kde/Autostart/startup
    xset m 1/8 1

    Make this file executable. Check the manpage for *xset* and play with the
    parameters until you have found the proper setting.
    --
    Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
    Sven Krahn

  3. Re: Proper way to configure input devices

    On Tuesday 01 August 2006 09:11, Sven Krahn wrote:
    > On 8/1/06, Christian Schuerer wrote:
    > > xset (e.g. xset m 5 10), but this doesn't show any effect either. Does
    > > anyone
    > > know why the mouse-settings don't show any effect? What am I missing? It

    > This is my solution to reduce the mouse speed. It works fine for me,
    > however, I am pretty sure there are smarter solutions:
    > Besides the settings in KDE control center, the mouse speed can be
    > influenced by xset, however, I found that when launching KDE all prior
    > settings are overwritten by the KDE settings. It is therefore necessary to
    > create a startup script ~/.kde/Autostart/startup which is executed after
    > KDE is launched.
    >
    > #!/bin/bash
    > # ~/.kde/Autostart/startup
    > xset m 1/8 1
    >
    > Make this file executable. Check the manpage for *xset* and play with the
    > parameters until you have found the proper setting.

    Thanks for the hint - I wasn't aware that it's possible to choose fraction
    numbers, because in the KDE control centre you can only take values starting
    from 1.

    Kind regards,

    Christian