Broken print preview - Debian

This is a discussion on Broken print preview - Debian ; Since some recent update or configuration change on my part, the KDE print preview is broken on my system. The preview window shows up, but it only contains the "Print" and "Cancel" buttons at 2/3 window height (horizontal position is ...

  1. Broken print preview

    Since some recent update or configuration change on my part, the KDE
    print preview is broken on my system. The preview window shows up, but
    it only contains the "Print" and "Cancel" buttons at 2/3 window height
    (horizontal position is correct).

    Any ideas how to diagnose the problem or which config files I may need
    to examine/delete?

    Michael

    --
    Michael Schuerig
    mailto:michael@schuerig.de

  2. Re: Broken print preview

    A Dimarts 25 Juliol 2006 13:26, Michael Schuerig va escriure:
    > Since some recent update or configuration change on my part, the KDE
    > print preview is broken on my system. The preview window shows up, but
    > it only contains the "Print" and "Cancel" buttons at 2/3 window height
    > (horizontal position is correct).

    It also happens to me, I think it's related to the KDE 3.5.3 upgrade.

    -
    Josep

  3. Re: Broken print preview

    On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 19:46:32 +0200, Josep Febrer wrote:
    > A Dimarts 25 Juliol 2006 13:26, Michael Schuerig va escriure:
    > > Since some recent update or configuration change on my part, the KDE
    > > print preview is broken on my system. The preview window shows up, but
    > > it only contains the "Print" and "Cancel" buttons at 2/3 window height
    > > (horizontal position is correct).

    > It also happens to me, I think it's related to the KDE 3.5.3 upgrade.

    Are you on Etch or Sid? I just checked with kpdf and print preview worked
    as expected. I am on Sid, using the following packages:

    $ apt-cache depends kdeprint | awk '/Depends/{print $2}' | dpkg -l $(cat) kdeprint kghostview
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-====================-====================-================================================== ======
    ii enscript 1.6.4-9 Converts ASCII text to Postscript, HTML, RTF or Pretty-P
    ii kdelibs4c2a 3.5.3-1 core libraries and binaries for all KDE applications
    ii kdeprint 3.5.3-2 print system for KDE
    ii kghostview 3.5.3-1 PostScript viewer for KDE
    ii libc6 2.3.6-15 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
    ii libgcc1 4.1.1-9 GCC support library
    ii libqt3-mt 3.3.6-3 Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime version), Version 3
    ii libstdc++6 4.1.1-9 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    ii poster 19990428-8 Create large posters out of PostScript pages
    ii psutils 1.17-23 A collection of PostScript document handling utilities

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  4. Re: Broken print preview

    On Tuesday 25 July 2006 21:42, Florian Kulzer wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 19:46:32 +0200, Josep Febrer wrote:
    > > A Dimarts 25 Juliol 2006 13:26, Michael Schuerig va escriure:
    > > > Since some recent update or configuration change on my part, the
    > > > KDE print preview is broken on my system. The preview window
    > > > shows up, but it only contains the "Print" and "Cancel" buttons
    > > > at 2/3 window height (horizontal position is correct).

    > > It also happens to me, I think it's related to the KDE 3.5.3
    > > upgrade.

    > Are you on Etch or Sid? I just checked with kpdf and print preview
    > worked as expected. I am on Sid, using the following packages:

    [snipped]

    I have exactly the same packages installed and, as I wrote, the problem
    occurs on my system. So it's probably caused by some broken
    configuration.

    Michael

    --
    Michael Schuerig
    mailto:michael@schuerig.de
    http://www.schuerig.de/michael/

  5. Re: Broken print preview

    On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 22:35:56 +0200, Michael Schuerig wrote:
    > On Tuesday 25 July 2006 21:42, Florian Kulzer wrote:
    > > On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 19:46:32 +0200, Josep Febrer wrote:
    > > > A Dimarts 25 Juliol 2006 13:26, Michael Schuerig va escriure:
    > > >
    > > > It also happens to me, I think it's related to the KDE 3.5.3
    > > > upgrade.

    > > Are you on Etch or Sid? I just checked with kpdf and print preview
    > > worked as expected. I am on Sid, using the following packages:

    > [snipped]
    >
    > I have exactly the same packages installed and, as I wrote, the problem
    > occurs on my system. So it's probably caused by some broken
    > configuration.

    Did you already try to create a new user? If that user can see the print
    preview you'll know for sure that there is a problem in your personal
    configuration files. Then you can always use the brute-force approach to
    investigate it further, i.e. run a diff of the .kde directories in the
    two $HOMEs.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian