No audio support - Debian

This is a discussion on No audio support - Debian ; Hello, I have a problem with the audio output of KDE 3.5.3 (the KDE version currently used by Debian Etch Testing): There is absolutely no sound output. After the first launch of KDE I got a pop-up with the error ...

  1. No audio support

    Hello,

    I have a problem with the audio output of KDE 3.5.3 (the KDE version
    currently used by Debian Etch Testing): There is absolutely no sound output.

    After the first launch of KDE I got a pop-up with the error message:

    "Sound server information message:
    Error while initializing sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

    I started "kcontrol / Sound / Sound System / Hardware" and activated the
    ALSA sound system. I installed the remaining alsa packages and ran
    alsaconf. Then I used alsamixer and unmuted all channels (both actions
    as root). I also used alsamixer as normal user and of cause kmix - no
    effect.

    Due to Bug report #362282 I replaced libasound2 with version 1.0.11-7 -
    no effect.

    After this I used the module-assistent to build the ALSA module drivers,
    installed them and run alsaconf and alsamixer again - no effect.

    I have two remarks concerning this issue:
    1. The ALSA sound system works with Debian Sarge.
    2. I tested two other distributions (Kubuntu 6.06 and SusSE 10.1) in the
    last weeks: I had no sound on both distributions. On Ubuntu 6.06
    (using GNOME) audio is available (but I have no idea about the used
    sound system).

    Here is a dump of the loaded sound modules:
    saturn:~$ lsmod | grep snd
    snd_intel8x0m 15372 0
    snd_intel8x0 29436 3
    snd_ac97_codec 82784 2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
    snd_ac97_bus 2048 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm_oss 43520 0
    snd_mixer_oss 15584 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 74408 5
    snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss
    snd_timer 20292 2 snd_pcm
    snd 46080 11
    snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 8672 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 9800 3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

    Here is a hardware overview:
    saturn:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O
    Controller (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP
    Controller (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
    (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
    (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
    (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2
    EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 81)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface
    Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE
    Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
    SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
    (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
    AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf
    [FireGL 9000] (rev 01)
    02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
    Controller (rev 80)
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 20)
    02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
    Network Connection (rev 05)
    02:04.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller
    (rev 01)

    I am looking forward for some help.

    Greeting,
    Markus

  2. Re: No audio support

    On Monday 24 July 2006 6:19 pm, Markus Petermann wrote:

    > "Sound server information message:
    > Error while initializing sound driver:
    > device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)

    Your ALSA bits look OK, and you have a standard chipset that's common a dirt,
    so there are not likely any surprises there.

    I don't use the KDE sound system, haven't in years, so I have no idea what the
    above quoted dialog is trying to open. Usually it's /dev/dsp. If it's
    telling you there is "no such device," it could be literally true that
    there's no device to open. This kind of error can mean nothing more
    than "I'm trying to open this special character device file called /dev/dsp,
    and it's not there."

    So make sure you have a /dev/dsp, or whatever the KDE sound system is trying
    to open. If it isn't /dev/dsp, it's probably /dev/snd/pcm-blah or something
    arcane like that. Make sure it actually exists. If it doesn't, it could be
    a problem with whatever you have managing /dev for you. I've never really
    paid a lot of attention to how things work now, but I think /dev comes up
    empty, and it gets populated at boot time by some magical thing called "udev"
    that has apparently supplanted devfs and hotplug.

    I've been running into a lot of users who can't run Rosegarden because they
    don't have a /dev/snd/seq, which is why I'm having this line of thought. If
    I'm totally full of crap, forgive me. I thought I'd throw this out, since
    nobody answered you yet. I don't know squat about the KDE sound system, but
    I've been involved with Linux for music making for years. It's a lot easier
    now than it used to be, believe it or not. We still have some way to go
    before it can become a truly pleasant user experience though, I fear.

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  3. Re: No audio support

    Hi All.

    I had a similar problem and couldn't find a fix, until i looked into
    AUMIX and found that the volume, speaker and line1 were turned down to 0

    So i just turned them up to about 75%, saved the settings then rebooted
    and presto i had sound.

    Markus Petermann wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a problem with the audio output of KDE 3.5.3 (the KDE version
    > currently used by Debian Etch Testing): There is absolutely no sound output.
    >
    > After the first launch of KDE I got a pop-up with the error message:
    >
    > "Sound server information message:
    > Error while initializing sound driver:
    > device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
    > The sound server will continue, using the null output device."
    >
    > I started "kcontrol / Sound / Sound System / Hardware" and activated the
    > ALSA sound system. I installed the remaining alsa packages and ran
    > alsaconf. Then I used alsamixer and unmuted all channels (both actions
    > as root). I also used alsamixer as normal user and of cause kmix - no
    > effect.
    >
    > Due to Bug report #362282 I replaced libasound2 with version 1.0.11-7 -
    > no effect.
    >
    > After this I used the module-assistent to build the ALSA module drivers,
    > installed them and run alsaconf and alsamixer again - no effect.
    >
    > I have two remarks concerning this issue:
    > 1. The ALSA sound system works with Debian Sarge.
    > 2. I tested two other distributions (Kubuntu 6.06 and SusSE 10.1) in the
    > last weeks: I had no sound on both distributions. On Ubuntu 6.06
    > (using GNOME) audio is available (but I have no idea about the used
    > sound system).
    >

    > Here is a dump of the loaded sound modules:
    > saturn:~$ lsmod | grep snd
    > snd_intel8x0m 15372 0
    > snd_intel8x0 29436 3
    > snd_ac97_codec 82784 2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
    > snd_ac97_bus 2048 1 snd_ac97_codec
    > snd_pcm_oss 43520 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 15584 1 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_pcm 74408 5
    > snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss
    > snd_timer 20292 2 snd_pcm
    > snd 46080 11
    > snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    > soundcore 8672 1 snd
    > snd_page_alloc 9800 3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    >

    > I am looking forward for some help.
    >
    > Greeting,
    > Markus

    lsmod | grep snd looks similar to mine, so have a look at AUMIX, it may
    help you?

    Hope i could be helpful.

    Cheers and take care,
    Vic.