Error starting second X session after Xorg upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on Error starting second X session after Xorg upgrade - Debian ; Until I upgraded Xorg a couple of weeks ago, I was able to use the command startx -e /opt/kde3.5/bin/startkde -- :1 to start up a second KDE X session while KDE was running on the first X display. Since the ...

  1. Error starting second X session after Xorg upgrade

    Until I upgraded Xorg a couple of weeks ago, I was able to use the command

    startx -e /opt/kde3.5/bin/startkde -- :1

    to start up a second KDE X session while KDE was running on the first X
    display. Since the upgrade, X starts up but immediately fails with the error

    xterm: bad command line option "xterm"

    followed by an xterm usage message.

    I presume the xterm in question is the one which is always displayed as the
    console when I run a second KDE session, but I can't work out where it is
    invoked. I'm running a home-compiled KDE 3.5.3. Any pointers to where xterm
    is run from and where the error is occurring would be very welcome.

    (I've tried and failed previously to set up kdmrc to allow a normal KDM login
    on the second X display - that would be an acceptable alternative to getting
    startx to work.)

    --
    David Jarvie.

  2. Re: Error starting second X session after Xorg upgrade

    On Monday 24 July 2006 3:49 pm, David Jarvie wrote:

    > (I've tried and failed previously to set up kdmrc to allow a normal KDM
    > login on the second X display - that would be an acceptable alternative to
    > getting startx to work.)

    I don't know about the first question, but the second one is easier. It
    doesn't have anything to do with kdmrc, but with /etc/...

    Huh?

    That's strange. I was going to refer you to the lines in /etc/inittab, but I
    no longer see any. I've turned up a whole rat's nest of problems myself just
    now. I have a terminal that normally runs three X sessions on three ttys,
    and it hasn't been turned on since school let out for the summer. It's
    broken, with no trace in its server's config for how I ever had it set up in
    the first place.

    I wonder how that happened?

    Well, anyway, whether it's a question of filling in some entirely missing
    information from /etc/inittab, or now something completely different, I'm
    sure the idea is still the same. You wind up with KDM running on each tty,
    and each KDM can run whatever kind of session you want. To run your new KDE
    from source thing, you'd have to set up a new session for KDM to know how to
    run it.

    Sorry I have to be so vague. I had that working, but have inadvertently
    broken it, and don't have time to sift through the carnage at the moment.

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  3. Re: Error starting second X session after Xorg upgrade

    On Tuesday 25 July 2006 2:34 pm, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre wrote:

    > It's broken, with no trace in its server's config for how I ever had it set
    > up in the first place.
    >
    > I wonder how that happened?

    Because I'm an idiot. I was looking at the server, not the terminal. The
    inittab in question is on the terminal, stupid. (Which is probably only
    broken because I've reverted to a stock kdmrc on the server, which leaves out
    the necessary options to make it play nice with the terminal.)

    6:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :0 vt6 -query my.server
    7:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :1 vt7 -query my.server
    8:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :2 vt8 -query my.server

    You can leave off the -query bit.

    Of course this realization does nothing to explain why there is no longer an
    entry for tty7 in either of the more recently upgraded boxes' inittabs. Was
    it never there to start with? Maybe. I'm stretched pretty thin lately.

    I would expect the above to work if you stick it in your /etc/inittab. Adding
    a new session to KDM to load KDE out of /opt is another matter i haven't
    really considered.

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  4. Re: Error starting second X session after Xorg upgrade

    On Tuesday 25 July 2006 21:04, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre wrote:
    > On Tuesday 25 July 2006 2:34 pm, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre wrote:
    > > It's broken, with no trace in its server's config for how I ever had it
    > > set up in the first place.
    > >
    > > I wonder how that happened?

    > Because I'm an idiot. I was looking at the server, not the terminal. The
    > inittab in question is on the terminal, stupid. (Which is probably only
    > broken because I've reverted to a stock kdmrc on the server, which leaves
    > out the necessary options to make it play nice with the terminal.)
    >
    > 6:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :0 vt6 -query my.server
    > 7:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :1 vt7 -query my.server
    > 8:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :2 vt8 -query my.server
    >
    > You can leave off the -query bit.
    >
    > Of course this realization does nothing to explain why there is no longer
    > an entry for tty7 in either of the more recently upgraded boxes' inittabs.
    > Was it never there to start with? Maybe. I'm stretched pretty thin
    > lately.
    >
    > I would expect the above to work if you stick it in your /etc/inittab.
    > Adding a new session to KDM to load KDE out of /opt is another matter i
    > haven't really considered.

    I tried adding the following lines to /etc/inittab:

    7:45:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :0 vt7
    8:45:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X :1 vt8

    but they just activate X sessions (i.e. nothing is visible except the moire
    pattern shown when X starts up) on VT7 and VT8 - kdm is not activated.

    I tried again to modify kdmrc to make it work on VT7 and VT8, and managed to
    get the login screen to appear on both, but on VT8, .xsession-errors shows
    that when I try to log in, it attempts to run the KDE session on display :0
    rather than the expected :1. Any ideas on how to fix this?

    --
    David Jarvie