Misssing association for PDF? - Debian

This is a discussion on Misssing association for PDF? - Debian ; Hi, I have a problem with associating PDF for anything useful -- whether I do it through Control Panel or Properties of the file, KDE doesn't like it remembers the association and either claims that kdeinit couldn't launch filename.pdf or ...

  1. Misssing association for PDF?

    Hi,

    I have a problem with associating PDF for anything useful -- whether I do it
    through Control Panel or Properties of the file, KDE doesn't like it
    remembers the association and either claims that kdeinit couldn't launch
    filename.pdf or (in better cases) I get the dialog box asking me which
    application should be used for opening PDF file (and no, when I
    check "Remember to open with this application" box, it doesn't remember
    anything).

    I tried it with testing user and there everything worked smoothly, so I
    guess there must be something wrong with my ~/.kde. However, even when I
    removed from ~/.kde/share everything except apps, config, and wallpapers
    folders (while KDE was switched off, of course), it didn't help and the
    error was same (this time in "Which application to use?" form).

    I am doing research and most of my data are from Internet and many of them
    in PDF, so this is really unpleasant.

    Have anybody met anything so weird? Is it known bug, or is there known
    workaround?

    Thanks,

    Matěj

    http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
    23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

    ...every Man has a Property in his own Person. This no Body has
    any Right to but himself. The Labour of his Body, and the Work of
    his Hands, we may say, are properly his. .... The great and chief
    end therefore, of Mens uniting into Commonwealths, and putting
    themselves under Government, is the Preservation of their
    Property.
    -- John Locke, "A Treatise Concerning Civil Government"

  2. Re: Misssing association for PDF?

    El viernes, 21 de julio de 2006 09:41, Matej Cepl escribió:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem with associating PDF for anything useful -- whether I do
    > it through Control Panel or Properties of the file, KDE doesn't like it
    > remembers the association and either claims that kdeinit couldn't launch
    > filename.pdf or (in better cases) I get the dialog box asking me which
    > application should be used for opening PDF file (and no, when I
    > check "Remember to open with this application" box, it doesn't remember
    > anything).
    >
    > I tried it with testing user and there everything worked smoothly, so I
    > guess there must be something wrong with my ~/.kde. However, even when I
    > removed from ~/.kde/share everything except apps, config, and wallpapers
    > folders (while KDE was switched off, of course), it didn't help and the
    > error was same (this time in "Which application to use?" form).
    >
    > I am doing research and most of my data are from Internet and many of them
    > in PDF, so this is really unpleasant.
    >
    > Have anybody met anything so weird? Is it known bug, or is there known
    > workaround?

    Hello, Matej. Could you please state a known path to reproduce your problem?
    I launch konqueror, then I click on a PDF, and I see an embedded KPDF inside
    konqueror showing the content. I use unstable.

    Best regards,

    Ender.
    --
    Look at my fingers: four stones, four crates! Zero stones? ZERO CRATES!
    -- Zorg (The Fifth Element).

+ Reply to Thread