konqueror really slow - Debian

This is a discussion on konqueror really slow - Debian ; Hi, on lots of pages (eg. freebsd.org), konqueror is really slow like hanging at 16 of 18 pictures for a long time (means: firefox get the _whole_ page during that time that konqueror waits). Anything that can be done about ...

  1. konqueror really slow

    Hi,

    on lots of pages (eg. freebsd.org), konqueror is really slow like hanging at
    16 of 18 pictures for a long time (means: firefox get the _whole_ page during
    that time that konqueror waits).

    Anything that can be done about it, like setting some timeout parameters to
    common sense values?
    Why is the page not shown during load? This would at least give a better
    visual feedback. This would allow clicking on the next link instead of
    waiting for some d*** picture...

    HS

  2. Re: konqueror really slow

    Hendrik Sattler schrieb:
    > on lots of pages (eg. freebsd.org), konqueror is really slow like hanging at
    > 16 of 18 pictures for a long time (means: firefox get the _whole_ page during
    > that time that konqueror waits).
    >
    > Anything that can be done about it, like setting some timeout parameters to
    > common sense values?

    Hi,

    I've been wondering about this for quite a while, but assumed myself to
    be the only one affected. I observe it on both sarge (kde 3.3.2) and on
    a notebook running edge (kde 3.5.3).

    I like Konqueror and would use it more often, if it performed better.
    Currently I'm even accessing my router's web-interface via mozilla,
    because with konqueror it takes atleast four times longer for pages to show.

    Cheers, Marc

  3. Re: konqueror really slow

    On Sunday 16 July 2006 2:47 pm, Marc Bantle wrote:

    > > Anything that can be done about it, like setting some timeout parameters
    > > to common sense values?

    > I've been wondering about this for quite a while, but assumed myself to
    > be the only one affected. I observe it on both sarge (kde 3.3.2) and on
    > a notebook running edge (kde 3.5.3).
    >
    > I like Konqueror and would use it more often, if it performed better.
    > Currently I'm even accessing my router's web-interface via mozilla,
    > because with konqueror it takes atleast four times longer for pages to
    > show.

    I hadn't thought to try Firefox. I wonder if it would make any difference?

    I've seen a slowdown now and again, but it seems to be network related
    somehow. My ISP's network was on the fritz yesterday, and it took an
    inordinate amount of time for pages from any of my local web interfaces (on
    this box, or any on my LAN) to come up.

    It feels kind of like the bad old days when there was some screwy problem with
    localhost not getting set up correctly, or something like that.

    If that ever happens again, I'll go try Firefox, and see if it makes a
    difference. This screwy localhost or whatever thing I'm thinking of, but
    can't quite remember, used to affect File->Open dialogs and such too, and was
    KDE wide, anytime KDE used KURL for something, which is frequently.

    I'm running 3.5.3 myself, and freebsd.org just came up in no time flat. I
    hadn't been there before, so it wasn't cached.

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  4. Re: konqueror really slow

    Marc Bantle wrote:
    > I like Konqueror and would use it more often, if it performed better.
    > Currently I'm even accessing my router's web-interface via mozilla,
    > because with konqueror it takes atleast four times longer for pages to
    > show.

    Just to be sure -- do you use wwwoffle (or something similar) with
    konqueror? with mozilla?

    Matěj

    http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
    23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

    There's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
    that allows you to install Windows.
    -- Matthew D. Fuller

  5. Re: konqueror really slow

    Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2006 22:36 schrieb Matej Cepl:
    > Marc Bantle wrote:
    > > I like Konqueror and would use it more often, if it performed better.
    > > Currently I'm even accessing my router's web-interface via mozilla,
    > > because with konqueror it takes atleast four times longer for pages to
    > > show.

    > Just to be sure -- do you use wwwoffle (or something similar) with
    > konqueror? with mozilla?

    No proxy of any kind on my side (maybe transparent proxying at the providers
    side, who knows).

    HS

  6. Re: konqueror really slow

    Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2006 22:04 schrieb D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre:
    > I hadn't thought to try Firefox. I wonder if it would make any difference?
    >
    > I've seen a slowdown now and again, but it seems to be network related
    > somehow. My ISP's network was on the fritz yesterday, and it took an
    > inordinate amount of time for pages from any of my local web interfaces (on
    > this box, or any on my LAN) to come up.

    It cannot be related to network slowdown or other network related problem
    because stopping the loading and restarting it does not get any more data
    than the previous try. Trying firefox immediately shows the page, strange,
    isn't it?
    I also had this on my routers page but that was name->ip lookup related.

    I wonder if this is related to pipelining. If it is, why isn't it implemented
    in konqueror? Can't be that hard to do and if it makes the thing much faster,
    it would make it worth the effort.

    Bad thing that firefox is not my favourite choice. I would never use it as
    main browser as the firefox developers do not seem to have any idea of good
    work flow (or it just does not fit my idea of it). And it's just ugly (ups,
    must be GTK-related).

    HS

  7. Re: konqueror really slow

    On Sunday 16 July 2006 22:52, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    [Firefox]
    > And it's just ugly (ups, must be GTK-related).

    One of these themes for Firefox may help
    http://www.polinux.upv.es/mozilla/temas.php?idioma=en

    That said, I use Firefox only rarely and in my experience, Konqueror
    (3.5.3) is snappier.

    Michael

    --
    Michael Schuerig
    mailto:michael@schuerig.de

  8. Re: konqueror really slow

    Michael Schuerig wrote:
    >> And it's just ugly (ups, must be GTK-related).

    > One of these themes for Firefox may help
    > http://www.polinux.upv.es/mozilla/temas.php?idioma=en

    I went just other way around -- first I installed gtk2-engines-gtk-qt (it is
    really cool thing), but then I tried full size Gnome 2.14 (I have some
    GNUStep programs which did not work under KDE, but they were OK under
    Gnome) I had to admit that Clearlooks engine is really cool. Kind of
    similar idea what Plastik is (to get away from user's attention as much as
    possible), but maybe even better. I have then found out that Craig Drummond
    created look-a-like Klearlook, so I packaged it for Debian and it is now in
    the main repository (package kde-style-klearlook). So Firefox fits well
    into my KDE environment, except that it looks like Gnome ;-) -- and it
    looks really cool.

    Matěj

    http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
    23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

    When you come to the fork in the road, take it
    -- L.P. Berra

  9. Re: konqueror really slow

    On Sunday 16 July 2006 5:53 pm, Matej Cepl wrote:

    > possible), but maybe even better. I have then found out that Craig Drummond

    Craig Drummond is awesome.

    Thanks to Michael Schuerig for posting the links to Firefox themes. That's a
    little better. I don't like Firefox either, because its Windows roots show
    all too plainly, but I keep it around for the odd site that makes Konqueror
    barf.

    I wonder if the GNOME people are the same way we are about trying to get the
    apps they're forced to use to look more like the stuff they like.

    I guess that's a stupid question, considering the number of times people have
    requested that we port Rosegarden to GTK2.

    Sure. Right after they port the GIMP to KDE/QT.

    It couldn't be that difficult, could it?

    *cough*

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  10. Re: konqueror really slow

    Am Montag, 17. Juli 2006 00:18 schrieb D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre:
    > On Sunday 16 July 2006 5:53 pm, Matej Cepl wrote:
    > > possible), but maybe even better. I have then found out that Craig
    > > Drummond

    > Craig Drummond is awesome.
    >
    > Thanks to Michael Schuerig for posting the links to Firefox themes. That's
    > a little better. I don't like Firefox either, because its Windows roots
    > show all too plainly, but I keep it around for the odd site that makes
    > Konqueror barf.
    >
    > I wonder if the GNOME people are the same way we are about trying to get
    > the apps they're forced to use to look more like the stuff they like.
    >
    > I guess that's a stupid question, considering the number of times people
    > have requested that we port Rosegarden to GTK2.
    >
    > Sure. Right after they port the GIMP to KDE/QT.
    >
    > It couldn't be that difficult, could it?

    Actually not if you have a clean seperation between the different parts
    (model-view-controller comes to mind).
    And lets not forget that GTK is the Gimp ToolKit.

    But then there are thing like QString and other non-GUI stuff in both QT and
    GTK that make all of that somewhat impossible.

    HS

  11. Re: konqueror really slow

    On Sunday 16 July 2006 7:02 pm, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

    > Actually not if you have a clean seperation between the different parts
    > (model-view-controller comes to mind).
    > And lets not forget that GTK is the Gimp ToolKit.

    Oh, I know it's the GIMP toolkit. That's what's so deliciously ironic about
    the suggestion of porting the GIMP to QT.

    As for the rest, I'd better shut up before someone screams at me for being
    off-topic.

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  12. Re: konqueror really slow

    Am Sonntag 16 Juli 2006 18:47 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
    > Hi,
    >
    > on lots of pages (eg. freebsd.org), konqueror is really slow like hanging
    > at 16 of 18 pictures for a long time (means: firefox get the _whole_ page
    > during that time that konqueror waits).
    >
    > Anything that can be done about it, like setting some timeout parameters to
    > common sense values?

    What nameservers are listed in your resolve.conf. If you are behind a router
    and you listed its ip as nameserver (e.g. 192.168.1.1) and this router
    redirects you to a real nameserver KDE programms have a problem. Try to set
    your resolv.conf to point to the real nameserver of your provider. If your
    resolv.conf is generated automatically and you want to be shure that your
    prevered nameservers are on first place have a look at the programm
    resolvconf.

    Hope this helps, Konqueror is a great tool.
    Cheers W. Mader

  13. Re: konqueror really slow

    Matej Cepl schrieb:

    >Marc Bantle wrote:
    >

    >>I like Konqueror and would use it more often, if it performed better.
    >>Currently I'm even accessing my router's web-interface via mozilla,
    >>because with konqueror it takes atleast four times longer for pages to
    >>show.
    >>

    >Just to be sure -- do you use wwwoffle (or something similar) with
    >konqueror? with mozilla?

    I use both Browsers plainly, without proxy, external cache, offline
    reader. In general I have the browser-internal cache turned off for
    both Browsers. Actually it doesn't really matter whether cache ist
    turned on for konqueror or not.

    I just reloaded the overview page (it has a refresh-button) of my
    routers web-interface to compare konqueror against mozilla (1.7.8).
    While mozilla is done loading the page within 1s, Konqueror takes 20s.

    Same thing with http://www.kde.org : mozilla=2s (until the progress bar
    has disappeared), konqueror=34s.

    But thanks for the hints: It seems to be a matter of DNS lookup. If I
    use the ip-adresse instead, konqueror will show the page within one or
    two seconds (both the router page and www.kde.org).

    Any ideas where to look next?

    Cheers, Marc

  14. Re: konqueror really slow

    Wolfgang Mader schrieb:

    >Am Sonntag 16 Juli 2006 18:47 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>on lots of pages (eg. freebsd.org), konqueror is really slow like hanging
    >>at 16 of 18 pictures for a long time (means: firefox get the _whole_ page
    >>during that time that konqueror waits).
    >>
    >>Anything that can be done about it, like setting some timeout parameters to
    >>common sense values?
    >>

    >What nameservers are listed in your resolve.conf. If you are behind a router
    >and you listed its ip as nameserver (e.g. 192.168.1.1) and this router
    >redirects you to a real nameserver KDE programms have a problem. Try to set
    >your resolv.conf to point to the real nameserver of your provider. If your
    >resolv.conf is generated automatically and you want to be shure that your
    >prevered nameservers are on first place have a look at the programm
    >resolvconf.
    >
    >Hope this helps, Konqueror is a great tool.
    >Cheers W. Mader

    Thats it! Thanks a lot!
    After adding the secondary nameserver of my provider (1und1:
    212.227.123.29) in addition to the router's adress, konqueror performs
    as nicely as mozilla.

    Why is that? Are there activities going on to get rid of this kde
    drawback? I can imagine, I'm not not the only one who has been working
    around this issue for months.

    Cheers, Marc

  15. Re: konqueror really slow

    On Mon 17. July 2006 18:03, you wrote:
    > But thanks for the hints: It seems to be a matter of DNS
    > lookup. If I use the ip-adresse instead, konqueror will show
    > the page within one or two seconds (both the router page and
    > www.kde.org).
    >
    > Any ideas where to look next?

    This may be very helpful
    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/inde...quette#offlist
    otherwise, I have no idea -- IMHO mozilla should use DNS server
    exactly in the same manner as konqueror. Do you have any local
    DNS server (dnsmasq, bind, or something)?

    Best,

    Matj

    http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
    23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

    Science is meaningless because it gives no answer to our
    question, the only question important to us: ``What shall we do
    and how shall we live?''
    -- Lev Nikolaevich Tolstoy

  16. Re: konqueror really slow

    On Sunday 16 July 2006 18:47, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > on lots of pages (eg. freebsd.org), konqueror is really slow like
    > hanging at 16 of 18 pictures for a long time (means: firefox get the
    > _whole_ page during that time that konqueror waits).
    >
    > Anything that can be done about it, like setting some timeout
    > parameters to common sense values?
    > Why is the page not shown during load? This would at least give a
    > better visual feedback. This would allow clicking on the next link
    > instead of waiting for some d*** picture...

    KDE supports ipv6 but many DNS Servers are broken and Konqueror has to
    wait until it gets a timeout. Try to disable ipv6

    Cheers,
    Andr

+ Reply to Thread