Re: Re: gtk apps lost antialiasing settings after upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Re: gtk apps lost antialiasing settings after upgrade - Debian ; Hi all. This morning i did an upgrade, (not a dist-upgrade), etch 3.5.3 and now i find myself having the same problem. The missing fonts in Firefox is really annoying, having to run the mouse over or highlight the missing ...

  1. Re: Re: gtk apps lost antialiasing settings after upgrade

    Hi all.

    This morning i did an upgrade, (not a dist-upgrade), etch 3.5.3 and now
    i find myself having the same problem. The missing fonts in Firefox is
    really annoying, having to run the mouse over or highlight the missing
    text to be able to read it.

    The fix that Marko suggested, i already have in my $Home/.qt/qtrc file,
    so i don't know what may be causing the missing text, this time.

    >Alan Ezust wrote:
    >
    > I am using debian unstable (kanotix) and I just did a dist-upgrade.
    > Now all my gtk apps (like firefox) have crappy font settings

    again. >It's as if
    > the gtk2-engines-gtk-qt is no longer working properly.
    >
    >With firefox, it's more than just the fonts though - the layout of
    >text is all strange, and lots of the text is invisible unless I run my
    >mouse over it.
    >

    > Any suggestions on how to bring things back to normal?

    Hi!

    Replacing

    enableXft=false
    useXft=false

    with

    enableXft=true
    useXft=true

    in file $HOME/.qt/qtrc helped me.

    ======================
    Marko

    Any possible fix would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Vic Koci.

  2. Re: gtk apps lost antialiasing settings after upgrade

    On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 14:26:01 +1000, Vic Koci wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > This morning i did an upgrade, (not a dist-upgrade), etch 3.5.3 and now
    > i find myself having the same problem. The missing fonts in Firefox is
    > really annoying, having to run the mouse over or highlight the missing
    > text to be able to read it.

    There is a known bug in libcairo2 (both Etch and Sid):

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00992.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg01023.html

    It seems that the problem manifests itself only for non-anti-aliased
    fonts. I have "use anti-aliased fonts" and "hinting style full" in my
    KDE Control Center font settings, and I can use firefox without
    problems. (libcairo2 version 1.2.0-3, firefox 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.4-2, kde
    3.5.3-1 on Sid)

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  3. Re: gtk apps lost antialiasing settings after upgrade

    Hi all,

    Looks like the "use anti-aliased fonts" in the Control Center worked for
    me. :-)

    Florian Kulzer wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 14:26:01 +1000, Vic Koci wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all.
    >>
    >>This morning i did an upgrade, (not a dist-upgrade), etch 3.5.3 and now
    >>i find myself having the same problem. The missing fonts in Firefox is
    >>really annoying, having to run the mouse over or highlight the missing
    >>text to be able to read it.

    > There is a known bug in libcairo2 (both Etch and Sid):
    >
    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00992.html
    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg01023.html
    >
    > It seems that the problem manifests itself only for non-anti-aliased
    > fonts. I have "use anti-aliased fonts" and "hinting style full" in my
    > KDE Control Center font settings, and I can use firefox without
    > problems. (libcairo2 version 1.2.0-3, firefox 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.4-2, kde
    > 3.5.3-1 on Sid)

    Thanks for the tip Florian.

    Cheers all & thanks,
    Vic Koci.