kpdf prints in wrong printer format - Debian

This is a discussion on kpdf prints in wrong printer format - Debian ; l.s. I am out of options and pretty curious (you could say annoyed) by now by a bug/wrong setting on my system. Maybe one of you can help me. What happens; I have Debian testing installation with KDE as standard ...

  1. kpdf prints in wrong printer format

    l.s.

    I am out of options and pretty curious (you could say annoyed) by now
    by a bug/wrong setting on my system. Maybe one of you can help me.
    What happens; I have Debian testing installation with KDE as standard
    desktop system. I am using cups for my hp laserjet 4050 network
    printer. Whenever I print a pdf from KPDF in a4 my printer complains
    that it receives a letter. All settings (cups, kprinter,
    /etc/papersize) are set to a4. I tried several pdf's, randomly from
    internet, and made with latex (a4paper option in documentclass). All
    arrive at the printer as letter.
    Printing pdf's with kghostview, or other documents from other programs
    (e.g. openoffice), works fine.
    Anyone an idea? Or can anyone confim that this is a bug?

    Thanks for your help,

    Martijn

  2. Re: kpdf prints in wrong printer format

    On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 15:17:47 +0200, Martijn de Nerd wrote:
    > l.s.
    >
    > I am out of options and pretty curious (you could say annoyed) by now
    > by a bug/wrong setting on my system. Maybe one of you can help me.
    > What happens; I have Debian testing installation with KDE as standard
    > desktop system. I am using cups for my hp laserjet 4050 network
    > printer. Whenever I print a pdf from KPDF in a4 my printer complains
    > that it receives a letter. All settings (cups, kprinter,
    > /etc/papersize) are set to a4. I tried several pdf's, randomly from
    > internet, and made with latex (a4paper option in documentclass). All
    > arrive at the printer as letter.
    > Printing pdf's with kghostview, or other documents from other programs
    > (e.g. openoffice), works fine.
    > Anyone an idea? Or can anyone confim that this is a bug?

    Additional things you can check (I include my output for comparison):

    $ awk '/KPrinter/,/^$/' ~/.kde/share/config/kpdfrc
    [KPrinter Settings]
    ApplicationOptions=
    DialogReduced=true
    DocDirectory=$HOME
    PrintCommand=
    Printer=hp2200-8

    $ echo $LC_PAPER
    de_DE

    If that does not turn up anything you can try the brute force approach
    and search for all files which contain the word "letter" in your user's
    ..kde directory:

    $ grep -ril letter .kde

    If you create a new user and test kpdf as that user you will know if it
    is a system-wide configuration problem or not.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  3. Re: kpdf prints in wrong printer format

    slow reply, but i think i solved the problem, the standard hp driver
    in cups seems to be causing it, now i am using the hpijs driver, and
    the problem is gone...