Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream - Debian ; On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:39:54 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote: [...] > > Strange, Moz Help About Plugins list all the installed plugin and their > > file names > > which I located and copied to my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ ...

  1. Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

    On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:39:54 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

    [...]

    > > Strange, Moz Help About Plugins list all the installed plugin and their
    > > file names
    > > which I located and copied to my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ dir. The one for
    > > VLC multimedia plugin, libvlcplugin.so, is not in the dir nor can it be
    > > found using locate. Although I installed and reinstalled the
    > > mozilla-plugin-vlc can't find its *.so file. Something else I should be
    > > doing?

    > Let's check some things and compare:

    > $ dpkg -l mozilla-plugin-vlc
    > | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
    > |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    > ||/ Name Version Description
    > +++-====================-====================-================================================== ======
    > ii mozilla-plugin-vlc 0.8.5.debian-2 multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC

    Same hee.

    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ dpkg -l mozilla-plugin-vlc
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-==================-==================-================================================== ==
    ii mozilla-plugin-vlc 0.8.5.debian-2 multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC
    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$

    > $ dpkg -L mozilla-plugin-vlc | grep '\.so$'
    > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    > /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libvlcplugin.so

    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ dpkg -L mozilla-plugin-vlc | grep '\.so$'
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$

    > $ file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped

    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$

    > I never copied anything into my ~/.mozilla/plugins/ directory. If I type
    > "aboutlugins" into mozilla's location bar, I get:

    I just do "help->about plugins" and get a few screen fulls of plugins listed
    including the one you show. Also, Google VLC multimedia plugin 1.0. I get the
    same info using the address/search bar. Could send you( or the list) a snapshot
    of my list, if its helpful. Another note, I have 2 none .deb realplayers and one
    helix player installed and thinking they may be conflicting with deb packages, but
    can't find how to uninstall them. They are all .bin files. Or did I say this already?

    > VLC multimedia plugin
    > File name: libvlcplugin.so
    > version 0.8.5 Janus

    > with about 20 supported audio and video MIME types listed.

    > Maybe you have a configuration problem in your ~/.mozilla directory.
    > The easiest way to check this is to create a new test user, log in as
    > that user and start mozilla.

    OK. I'll try that and have done it once before.

    > > -I have no reference to a codecs file anywhere in $HOME. Looked for one
    > > with locate but
    > > couldn't find anything. Should there be one? Did find /usr/lib/win32
    > > with list of codecs and
    > > long links.
    > > -just reinstalled w32codecs after doing a policy check and found a newer
    > >version candidate.

    > I think that the files in /usr/lib/win32 should be enough. (I use them
    > with the Xine media player.)

    > > Haven't done an upgrade or dist-upgrade for a while( week or two)
    > > because of critical/grave
    > > bugs in kde and other wanted software. Should I?

    > I did a full upgrade yesterday and did not notice any problems except
    > for a minor annoyance with the KDE wallet manager (it has to be killed
    > and restarted after you log in to work properly). I recommend using
    > apt-listbugs, but you have to keep in mind that it often lists bugs
    > which are fixed already ("") in the new version that you are about
    > to install.

    Ok. I'll do a full upgrade or should I do a dist-upgrade(?).

    > > -Just completed a reboot and restart of kde. Tried out Yahoo News media
    > > player again with
    > > same results. The Yayoo player pops up, all the uris load followed by
    > > done. The fast forward
    > > and rewind buttons are active(blue) and the pause button is greyed out.
    > > The player screen is
    > > a greyed out blank screen. Clicking the active buttons loads all the
    > > uris and finishes with done
    > > but nothing plays.

    > OK, I had a look there and I can't play the videos either. It seems to
    > be based on flash, so maybe you need the flashplayer plugin version 8
    > which is not yet available for Linux as far as I know. If you want to
    > test your flash plugin, go to www.youtube.com; you should be able to
    > play the videos on that site.

    I guess that means I've been beating my head against the wall trying to
    fix mplayer and the problem was flash player. Strange though, the first
    time I tried to run the vidoes a couple of months back, the error was
    this video requires "application/x-mplayer2" which I added to kde file
    associations and the message went away. That led me to believe it was an
    mplayer or mplayerplug-in issue. I visited the youtube site and was able
    to play all the vidoes I selected, some of which were very interesting, Ha. Ha.
    Yahoo or the news sites must have changed there video formats because I know I
    was able to play all the news videos in the past with mplayerplug-in as the
    start up said so. Curious, how did you determine that the videos on Yahoo
    required flash player?
    And thanks for your help. At least, now I know what the problem is and just have
    to wait for a flashplayer upgrade to show up. BTW, the last time I checked Yahoo's
    player requirements it didn't mention anything about flashplayer, just windows media
    player, but that was some time ago.

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Florian

    Thanks again, for your help. I guess this is solved except for the application/octet stream
    message I keep getting.

    Leonard Chatagnier

  2. Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

    On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:12:21 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
    > Florian Kulzer wrote:

    [...]

    > >I did a full upgrade yesterday and did not notice any problems except
    > >for a minor annoyance with the KDE wallet manager (it has to be killed
    > >and restarted after you log in to work properly). I recommend using
    > >apt-listbugs, but you have to keep in mind that it often lists bugs
    > >which are fixed already ("") in the new version that you are about
    > >to install.

    > Ok. I'll do a full upgrade or should I do a dist-upgrade(?).

    You can start with a normal upgrade. This will perform all upgrades
    which do not require additional installations or package removals. Then
    you will see how many packages have been kept back. For these you can do
    a dist-upgrade or you can install them one by one. If you are in doubt
    you can use the "-s" option to see what will happen without changing
    anything.

    [...]

    > >OK, I had a look there and I can't play the videos either. It seems to
    > >be based on flash, so maybe you need the flashplayer plugin version 8
    > >which is not yet available for Linux as far as I know. If you want to
    > >test your flash plugin, go to www.youtube.com; you should be able to
    > >play the videos on that site.

    > I guess that means I've been beating my head against the wall trying to
    > fix mplayer and the problem was flash player. Strange though, the first
    > time I tried to run the vidoes a couple of months back, the error was
    > this video requires "application/x-mplayer2" which I added to kde file
    > associations and the message went away. That led me to believe it was an
    > mplayer or mplayerplug-in issue. I visited the youtube site and was able
    > to play all the vidoes I selected, some of which were very interesting, Ha.
    > Ha.
    > Yahoo or the news sites must have changed there video formats because I
    > know I was able to play all the news videos in the past with mplayerplug-in
    > as the start up said so. Curious, how did you determine that the videos on
    > Yahoo
    > required flash player?

    I have a flash-blocking plugin installed because I hate all the
    flickering flash advertisements. On every page with embedded flash I
    just see a placeholder icon which I can click if I want the flash
    animation to run. On the Yahoo page I had to activate two different
    flash objects before I could even see the control buttons. Another way
    to check is right-click, "View Page Info > Media" which lists all
    images, embedded movies etc.

    One more thing: I do not know for sure if the Yahoo pages need mplayer
    in addition to the flash plugin or not.

    > Thanks again, for your help. I guess this is solved except for the
    > application/octet stream message I keep getting.

    I think this can be fixed by removing the file

    ~/.kde/share/mimelnk/application/octet-stream.desktop

    (You can move it somewhere else so that you can restore it if the
    situation is worse without the file.)

    --
    Regards,
    Florian