Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream - Debian ; On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:11:44 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote: [...] > >> > Florian Kulzer wrote: > >> > > snip > >> > snip > > snip > I think you can just install the version from ...

  1. Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

    On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:11:44 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

    [...]

    > > snip

    > I think you can just install the version from unstable and give it a
    > try. There are no serious bugs filed against it:

    Well florian, I thought you had the soln, but didn't work for me.

    > The worst thing that can happen is that it does not work, which is not really
    > different from your present situation. (Bug 1 does not seem to be reproducible
    > for everyone and in any case you don't want to use the plugin with firefox.)

    Strange, Moz Help About Plugins list all the installed plugin and their file names
    which I located and copied to my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ dir. The one for
    VLC multimedia plugin, libvlcplugin.so, is not in the dir nor can it be found using
    locate. Although I installed and reinstalled the mozilla-plugin-vlc can't find its
    *.so file. Something else I should be doing? Still get the application/octet stream
    not found error when kde starts or when I open control center. Some of the hings I've
    done trying to play embeded media files are:

    -copied all the mplayerplug-in-*.so files I could find with "locate" to
    $home/.mozilla/plugins
    -copied various files mentioned in related man pages to $HOME/.mplayer/
    dir including
    config input.conf mplayerplug-in.conf registry and
    default.sub(recommended by a deb user)
    There are now a lot of zero size files in it since the vlc install.
    -I have no reference to a codecs file anywhere in $HOME. Looked for one
    with locate but
    couldn't find anything. Should there be one? Did find /usr/lib/win32
    with list of codecs and
    long links.
    -just reinstalled w32codecs after doing a policy check and found a newer
    version candidate.
    Haven't done an upgrade or dist-upgrade for a while( week or two)
    because of critical/grave
    bugs in kde and other wanted software. Should I?
    -Just completed a reboot and restart of kde. Tried out Yahoo News media
    player again with
    same results. The Yayoo player pops up, all the uris load followed by
    done. The fast forward
    and rewind buttons are active(blue) and the pause button is greyed out.
    The player screen is
    a greyed out blank screen. Clicking the active buttons loads all the
    uris and finishes with done
    but nothing plays.

    This embedded media player thing has got me buffaloed, baffled and
    bewildered. Have spent a
    lot of time trying to get it to work. Hope the above info gives you
    some ideas to try. And hope
    you can stay with me til its fixed. Thanks for your help.

    [...]
    > lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

    [ ... snip: all the commented-out lines ...]
    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

    > The honk.sigxcpu.org line is only necessary if you are on the PowerPC
    > architecture ("old" Apple), otherwise www.debian-multimedia.org is
    > enough. Your prompt suggests you have a Dell, so you should be fine
    > without honk. In any case, the missing signing keys are here:

    I didn.t know about "ppp". Thanks. I removed from sources.list

    -- Regards,
    Florian

    Thanks,
    Leonard Chatagnier

  2. Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

    On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:39:54 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

    [...]

    > Strange, Moz Help About Plugins list all the installed plugin and their
    > file names
    > which I located and copied to my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ dir. The one for
    > VLC multimedia plugin, libvlcplugin.so, is not in the dir nor can it be
    > found using locate. Although I installed and reinstalled the
    > mozilla-plugin-vlc can't find its *.so file. Something else I should be
    > doing?

    Let's check some things and compare:

    $ dpkg -l mozilla-plugin-vlc
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-====================-====================-================================================== ======
    ii mozilla-plugin-vlc 0.8.5.debian-2 multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC

    $ dpkg -L mozilla-plugin-vlc | grep '\.so$'
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libvlcplugin.so

    $ file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped

    I never copied anything into my ~/.mozilla/plugins/ directory. If I type
    "aboutlugins" into mozilla's location bar, I get:

    VLC multimedia plugin
    File name: libvlcplugin.so
    version 0.8.5 Janus

    with about 20 supported audio and video MIME types listed.

    Maybe you have a configuration problem in your ~/.mozilla directory.
    The easiest way to check this is to create a new test user, log in as
    that user and start mozilla.

    > -I have no reference to a codecs file anywhere in $HOME. Looked for one
    > with locate but
    > couldn't find anything. Should there be one? Did find /usr/lib/win32
    > with list of codecs and
    > long links.
    > -just reinstalled w32codecs after doing a policy check and found a newer
    > version candidate.

    I think that the files in /usr/lib/win32 should be enough. (I use them
    with the Xine media player.)

    > Haven't done an upgrade or dist-upgrade for a while( week or two)
    > because of critical/grave
    > bugs in kde and other wanted software. Should I?

    I did a full upgrade yesterday and did not notice any problems except
    for a minor annoyance with the KDE wallet manager (it has to be killed
    and restarted after you log in to work properly). I recommend using
    apt-listbugs, but you have to keep in mind that it often lists bugs
    which are fixed already ("") in the new version that you are about
    to install.

    > -Just completed a reboot and restart of kde. Tried out Yahoo News media
    > player again with
    > same results. The Yayoo player pops up, all the uris load followed by
    > done. The fast forward
    > and rewind buttons are active(blue) and the pause button is greyed out.
    > The player screen is
    > a greyed out blank screen. Clicking the active buttons loads all the
    > uris and finishes with done
    > but nothing plays.

    OK, I had a look there and I can't play the videos either. It seems to
    be based on flash, so maybe you need the flashplayer plugin version 8
    which is not yet available for Linux as far as I know. If you want to
    test your flash plugin, go to www.youtube.com; you should be able to
    play the videos on that site.

    --
    Regards,