Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream - Debian ; On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 16:05:41 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote: [...] > > Florian Kulzer wrote: > > > Did you have a look already at mozilla-plugin-vlc? It worked reasonably > > > well for me when I was ...

  1. Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

    On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 16:05:41 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

    [...]

    > > Florian Kulzer wrote:
    > > > Did you have a look already at mozilla-plugin-vlc? It worked reasonably
    > > > well for me when I was still using mozilla.

    > > Yes, I have all the plugins installed but will check again to be sure.
    > > Guess what, aptitude said not installed. Went to install again and
    > > etch had 3 grave bugs and sid has a dependency on libsysfs1 for
    > > mozilla-plugin-vlc. Can't install libsysfs1 from sid unless it's in
    > > the new mirror honk which I can't get a gpg key to install using the
    > > instructions you gave me for marrilat a few days back. tried
    > > everything from just honk to the complete http;// address. Any
    > > suggestions?

    > I think you are mixing up Sarge/Etch/Sid:

    I did have etch in sources.list a few day back to install something-
    forget what it was now. Have since commented it out, everything sid
    except for security-stable/sarge.

    > Sarge (stable) has mozilla-plugin-vlc version 0.8.1.svn20050314-1sarge1
    > and libsysfs1 version 1.3.0-7.

    > Etch (testing) has libsysfs2 (2.0.0-6) and currently no version of
    > mozilla-plugin-vlc available.

    > Sid (unstable) has mozilla-plugin-vlc (0.8.5.debian-2) and libsysfs2
    > (2.0.0-7). I have this combination installed and I have not noticed any
    > problems with it. I also don't find any grave bugs listed for it. Maybe
    > you could post your /etc/apt/sources.list and the output of "apt-cache
    > policy mozilla-plugin-vlc" so that it is clear which version you are
    > trying to install.

    Sounds like you have found what my problem is. Sources.list and policy
    statement shown below:

    > As far as the "new mirror honk" is concerned: I have never heard of it.
    > If it is a normal Debian mirror then the normal Debian archive signing
    > key should be enough. If it provides additional packages then it also
    > should provide the signing key(s) for those. What is the URL of this
    > mirror?

    The honk url is in my sources.list(last line) and came from a reference in
    deb-users(june) in a post about the Marillat site going down and the new mirrors
    to replace it. Also, it appears that svn? is coming in with security stable.
    Whatever svn is. I now suspect that there is a problem using security stable
    with sid distro. Have done so since day one on all distros.

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Florian

    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ apt-cache policy mozilla-plugin-vlc
    mozilla-plugin-vlc:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 0.8.5.debian-2
    Version table:
    0.8.5.debian-2 0
    500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
    0.8.1.svn20050314-1sarge1 0
    500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$
    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    #deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/testing-updates/
    #deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    #deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    #deb http://security.debian.org etch/updates main contrib non-free
    #deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    #deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US etch/non-US main contrib non-free

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    #deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    #deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main
    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    #deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-fr$
    #deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main
    #deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main
    deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
    deb http://honk.sigxcpu.org/linux-ppc/debian/ mplayer/
    lchata@DELLXPST450:~$

  2. Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

    On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:11:44 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

    [...]

    > >> Yes, I have all the plugins installed but will check again to be sure.
    > >> Guess what, aptitude said not installed. Went to install again and
    > >> etch had 3 grave bugs and sid has a dependency on libsysfs1 for
    > >> mozilla-plugin-vlc.

    [...]

    > lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ apt-cache policy mozilla-plugin-vlc
    > mozilla-plugin-vlc:
    > Installed: (none)
    > Candidate: 0.8.5.debian-2
    > Version table:
    > 0.8.5.debian-2 0
    > 500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
    > 0.8.1.svn20050314-1sarge1 0
    > 500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages

    I think you can just install the version from unstable and give it a
    try. There are no serious bugs filed against it:

    $ querybts mozilla-plugin-vlc
    Querying Debian BTS for reports on mozilla-plugin-vlc...
    3 bug reports found:

    Outstanding bugs -- Important bugs; Unclassified (1 bug)
    1) #315979: mozilla-plugin-vlc: Crashes firefox when trying to open a page that uses this plugin

    Forwarded bugs -- Normal bugs (1 bug)
    2) #334649: mozilla-plugin-vlc: does not stream

    Resolved bugs -- Normal bugs (1 bug)
    3) #308723: mozilla-plugin-vlc should recommend mozilla-browser | mozilla-firefox

    The worst thing that can happen is that it does not work, which is not really
    different from your present situation. (Bug 1 does not seem to be reproducible
    for everyone and in any case you don't want to use the plugin with firefox.)

    > The honk url is in my sources.list(last line) and came from a reference in
    > deb-users(june) in a post about the Marillat site going down and the new
    > mirrors
    > to replace it. Also, it appears that svn? is coming in with security stable.
    > Whatever svn is. I now suspect that there is a problem using security stable
    > with sid distro. Have done so since day one on all distros.

    The stable security updates always get version numbers which are "older"
    than what is in testing/unstable, therefore apt(itude) will never just
    install them over the newer versions. Having this line in your
    sources.list should therefore not have any negative consequences for
    your system. In the present case you just can't install the old version
    because it relies on the libsysfs1 infrastructure which has been
    replaced by libsysfs2 on testing/unstable. There are rare cases of
    packages which are only available in stable but which are still usable
    on testing/unstable systems. For those packages you should probably to
    stay subscribed to the stable security updates.

    [...]

    > lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

    [ ... snip: all the commented-out lines ...]

    > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    > deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
    > deb-src http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
    > deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
    > deb http://honk.sigxcpu.org/linux-ppc/debian/ mplayer/

    That looks OK. I have the testing lines in addition to that; this allows
    me to quickly downgrade a Sid package with a bug.

    The honk.sigxcpu.org line is only necessary if you are on the PowerPC
    architecture ("old" Apple), otherwise www.debian-multimedia.org is
    enough. Your prompt suggests you have a Dell, so you should be fine
    without honk. In any case, the missing signing keys are here:

    http://honk.sigxcpu.org/misc/

    If a site does not publish their keys on a keyserver then you can use a
    Google query to find the keys on the site itself. Just search for:

    gnupg site:honk.sigxcpu.org

    --
    Regards,
    Florian