problems printing with cups 1.2 - Debian

This is a discussion on problems printing with cups 1.2 - Debian ; I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2. Apparently I'm not alone. Someone recently posted about having a problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing. See also Debian bug 370403 and the ...

  1. problems printing with cups 1.2

    I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.
    Apparently I'm not alone. Someone recently posted about having a
    problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing. See also Debian
    bug 370403 and the upstream bugs it references. However, the Debian bug
    is closed, though the upstream issue seems unresolved.

    What to do?

    I pulled in kdeprint from unstable since there were some references to
    that fixing things; it didn't help for me. Upstream CUPS has apparently
    provided a temporary hack, but testing and unstable both have the same
    version of cupsys.
    --
    Ross Boylan wk: (415) 514-8146
    185 Berry St #5700 ross@biostat.ucsf.edu

  2. Re: problems printing with cups 1.2 [work-around]

    On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 15:14 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
    > I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.
    > Apparently I'm not alone. Someone recently posted about having a
    > problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing. See also Debian
    > bug 370403 and the upstream bugs it references. However, the Debian bug
    > is closed, though the upstream issue seems unresolved.
    >
    > What to do?

    I had some luck specifying "UNIX LPD Print System" for my printing.
    This seemed to retain the printers I had already defined in CUPS and let
    me print. Naturally, some of the paper handling options I have access
    to with CUPS disappeared.

    I've had no luck trying to get CUPS to listen on localhost as well as
    the unix domain sockets. My CUPS printer keeps showing as
    /var/run/cups/cups.sock:631

    Originally my cups ports were
    Port 631
    Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

    I tried adding
    Listen localhost
    after the first line.

  3. Re: problems printing with cups 1.2

    On Saturday 17 Juni 2006 00:14 Ross Boylan wrote:
    > I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.
    > Apparently I'm not alone. Someone recently posted about having a
    > problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing. See also
    > Debian bug 370403 and the upstream bugs it references. However, the
    > Debian bug is closed, though the upstream issue seems unresolved.

    > What to do?

    I had the same problem and solved it by installing (dpkg -i) the package
    from the debian home page (packages/testing).

    --
    Lutz

  4. Re: problems printing with cups 1.2 [work-around]

    On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 05:16:05PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
    > On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 15:14 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
    > > I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.
    > > Apparently I'm not alone. Someone recently posted about having a
    > > problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing. See also Debian
    > > bug 370403 and the upstream bugs it references. However, the Debian bug
    > > is closed, though the upstream issue seems unresolved.
    > >
    > > What to do?
    > >

    > I had some luck specifying "UNIX LPD Print System" for my printing.
    > This seemed to retain the printers I had already defined in CUPS and let
    > me print. Naturally, some of the paper handling options I have access
    > to with CUPS disappeared.
    >
    > I've had no luck trying to get CUPS to listen on localhost as well as
    > the unix domain sockets. My CUPS printer keeps showing as
    > /var/run/cups/cups.sock:631
    >
    > Originally my cups ports were
    > Port 631
    > Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

    I had a problem too with cups not listening to the unix domain sockets, but
    after adding:

    Listen :631

    to "/etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf" it worked again for me.

    Arnout

    > --

  5. Re: problems printing with cups 1.2

    On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:51:50AM +0200, Lutz Lennardt wrote:
    > On Saturday 17 Juni 2006 00:14 Ross Boylan wrote:
    > > I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.
    > > Apparently I'm not alone. Someone recently posted about having a
    > > problem with this in sid, but I'm seeing it in testing. See also
    > > Debian bug 370403 and the upstream bugs it references. However, the
    > > Debian bug is closed, though the upstream issue seems unresolved.

    > > What to do?

    > I had the same problem and solved it by installing (dpkg -i) the package
    > from the debian home page (packages/testing).

    Which package?

  6. Re: problems printing with cups 1.2

    Hi,

    Ross Boylan:
    > I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.

    If you can reproduce the problem with lp too and get a "Bad Request" error
    message then take a look at bug #374009.

  7. Re: problems printing with cups 1.2 [work-around]

    On 6/17/06, A.M.P. Boelens wrote:

    > On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 05:16:05PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 15:14 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
    > > > I can't get printing working from KDE since upgrading to cups 1.2.

    > > I had some luck specifying "UNIX LPD Print System" for my printing.
    > > This seemed to retain the printers I had already defined in CUPS and let
    > > me print. Naturally, some of the paper handling options I have access
    > > to with CUPS disappeared.

    In addition to modifying the 'Listen' line in cups.conf as described several
    times by now, you can check your ~/.kde/share/config/kdeprintrc and replace
    the line

    Host=/var/run/cups/cups.sock

    by

    Host=localhost

    After doing so, I could successfully switch back to "CUPS" in kprinter, and
    everything worked fine again.

    --
    Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
    Sven Krahn

  8. Re: problems printing with cups 1.2 [work-around]

    On Thursday 06 July 2006 17:32, Sven Krahn wrote:

    > In addition to modifying the 'Listen' line in cups.conf as described
    > several times by now, you can check your
    > ~/.kde/share/config/kdeprintrc and replace the line
    >
    > Host=/var/run/cups/cups.sock
    >
    > by
    >
    > Host=localhost

    This setting is also in:
    KControl->
    Peripherals->
    Printers->
    Print Manager->
    Configure Manager->
    CUPS Server

    No, I have no idea how I stumbled on that.

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| A proud member of the unhinged moonbat horde.