Remapping caps lock to non-ctrl - Debian

This is a discussion on Remapping caps lock to non-ctrl - Debian ; Hello list, a quite important and anoying question that bugs me for weeks if not months is how to set the caps lock to ... say windows-key (*duck* maybe "Super L"?). My keyboard just supplies ctrl, alt and alt-gr and ...

  1. Remapping caps lock to non-ctrl

    Hello list,
    a quite important and anoying question that bugs me for weeks if not months is
    how to set the caps lock to ... say windows-key (*duck* maybe "Super L"?).
    My keyboard just supplies ctrl, alt and alt-gr and I would like to map some
    special strokes to caps lock. Googling gives me non-KDE ways, that just don't
    work with it.
    I'll create a page on wiki.kde.org if somebody helps me, promise!

    Christoph Burgmer

  2. Re: Remapping caps lock to non-ctrl

    Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    > a quite important and anoying question that bugs me for weeks if not
    > months is how to set the caps lock to ... say windows-key (*duck* maybe
    > "Super L"?). My keyboard just supplies ctrl, alt and alt-gr and I would
    > like to map some special strokes to caps lock. Googling gives me non-KDE
    > ways, that just don't work with it.

    I don't have any holy KDE way (but try to look into Regional &
    Accessibility/Keyboard Layout/Xkb options), but you can certainly use
    reading this -- /usr/share/doc/xkb-data/README.config.gz

    So for example my Keyboard section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I have CapsLock
    redefined as Compose key):

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "cz,us"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:caps,ctrl:ctrl_aa,\
    lv3:ralt_switch,grp_led:scroll,grp:shifts_toggle"
    Option "XkbVariant" "qwerty,"

    EndSection

    Matěj

    http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
    23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

    A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of
    thinking.