Virtual Desktops after Upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on Virtual Desktops after Upgrade - Debian ; I have searched and not found answers to my problems so need your help. 1. After a major update&upgrade I have lost the ability to have multiple virtual desktops. Using Control Center->Desktop->Multiple desktops goes back to one after exiting. I ...

  1. Virtual Desktops after Upgrade

    I have searched and not found answers to my problems so need your help.

    1. After a major update&upgrade I have lost the ability to have multiple
    virtual desktops. Using Control Center->Desktop->Multiple desktops goes back
    to one after exiting. I assume there is a setup parameter someplace that is
    stopping this. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

    2. At the same time I lost the ability to grab a Title Bar and move the
    application window. I have also lost the ability to resize the application
    window. Also help will be appreciated.

    My Gnome has multiple virtual desktops and moveable/changeable windows so it
    must be limited to KDE setup.

    Am Running SID.

    BJD

  2. Re: Virtual Desktops after Upgrade

    On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 16:58:57 -0500, Bruce DeGrasse wrote:
    > I have searched and not found answers to my problems so need your help.
    >
    > 1. After a major update&upgrade I have lost the ability to have multiple
    > virtual desktops. Using Control Center->Desktop->Multiple desktops goes back
    > to one after exiting. I assume there is a setup parameter someplace that is
    > stopping this. I would appreciate any help on this matter.
    >
    > 2. At the same time I lost the ability to grab a Title Bar and move the
    > application window. I have also lost the ability to resize the application
    > window. Also help will be appreciated.
    >
    > My Gnome has multiple virtual desktops and moveable/changeable windows so it
    > must be limited to KDE setup.
    >
    > Am Running SID.

    KDE on Sid is currently undergoing the transition from 3.5.2 to 3.5.3.
    Maybe you upgraded at a moment when your mirror offered a combination of
    new and old packages which leads to problems. Upgrading again today
    might be enough to solve the issue. If you want to compare packages,
    here are the 3.5.3 ones that I have currently installed:

    $ dpkg -l kde\* kwin | grep '^ii.*3\.5\.3'
    ii kdebase 3.5.3-1 base components from the official KDE releas
    ii kdebase-bin 3.5.3-1 core binaries for the KDE base module
    ii kdebase-data 3.5.3-1 shared data files for the KDE base module
    ii kdebase-kio-plugins 3.5.3-1 core I/O slaves for KDE
    ii kdegraphics 3.5.3-1 graphics apps from the official KDE release
    ii kdegraphics-kfile-plugins 3.5.3-1 KDE metainfo plugins for graphic files
    ii kdelibs 3.5.3-1 core libraries from the official KDE release
    ii kdelibs-data 3.5.3-1 core shared data for all KDE applications
    ii kdelibs4-dev 3.5.3-1 development files for the KDE core libraries
    ii kdelibs4c2a 3.5.3-1 core libraries and binaries for all KDE appl
    ii kdemultimedia 3.5.3-1 multimedia apps from the official KDE releas
    ii kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data 3.5.3-1 multimedia data for kappfinder
    ii kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins 3.5.3-1 au/avi/m3u/mp3/ogg/wav plugins for kfile
    ii kdemultimedia-kio-plugins 3.5.3-1 enables the browsing of audio CDs under Konq
    ii kdenetwork 3.5.3-1 network-related apps from the official KDE r
    ii kdenetwork-filesharing 3.5.3-1 network filesharing configuration module for
    ii kdenetwork-kfile-plugins 3.5.3-1 torrent metainfo plugin for KDE
    ii kdepasswd 3.5.3-1 password changer for KDE
    ii kdeprint 3.5.3-1 print system for KDE
    ii kdesktop 3.5.3-1 miscellaneous binaries and files for the KDE
    ii kwin 3.5.3-1 the KDE window manager

    The rest of my KDE packages are still at version 3.5.2. With this
    combination I do not observe the problems that you have.

    You might also want to check out ~/.xsession-errors or run kcontrol from
    a terminal window to see if there are any meaningful error messages when
    you try to activate multiple desktops.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  3. Re: Virtual Desktops after Upgrade

    Thanks FLorian updating to 3.5.3-1 did the job.

    BJD