KDE on AMD64 - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE on AMD64 - Debian ; Hello everyone! I would like to install a 64bit version for AMD of testing/etch debian with X/KDE. On most mirror servers, I have tried yet, there was README with an entry like amd64 is now available on ftp.debian.org ======================================== Please ...

  1. KDE on AMD64

    Hello everyone!

    I would like to install a 64bit version for AMD of testing/etch debian with
    X/KDE.
    On most mirror servers, I have tried yet, there was README with an entry like

    amd64 is now available on ftp.debian.org

    Please use your nearest ftp.debian.org mirror now for the etch or unstable
    version of the amd64 port of Debian. The sarge version continues to be
    available
    from amd64.debian.net and its mirrors until sarge is archived.

    This one I found on
    ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/dists/etch
    which IS my nearest ftp.debian.org mirror.

    My actual etch amd64 installation is from
    http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aache.../Linux/debian/
    but there is no X/KDE included.

    Does anyone know, where the complete amd64 etch/testing versions are hosted
    actually?

    Regards
    Matthias

  2. Re: KDE on AMD64

    Le Mer 31 Mai 2006 08:19, Matthias Faulstich a écrit :
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > I would like to install a 64bit version for AMD of testing/etch
    > debian with X/KDE.
    > On most mirror servers, I have tried yet, there was README with an
    > entry like
    >
    > amd64 is now available on ftp.debian.org
    >
    > Please use your nearest ftp.debian.org mirror now for the etch or
    > unstable version of the amd64 port of Debian. The sarge version
    > continues to be available
    > from amd64.debian.net and its mirrors until sarge is archived.
    >
    > This one I found on
    > ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/dists/etch
    > which IS my nearest ftp.debian.org mirror.
    >
    > My actual etch amd64 installation is from
    > http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aache.../Linux/debian/
    > but there is no X/KDE included.
    >
    > Does anyone know, where the complete amd64 etch/testing versions are
    > hosted actually?

    amd64 is in debian for real. you can use normal debian mirrors.
    --
    ·O· Pierre Habouzit
    ··O madcoder@debian.org

  3. Re: KDE on AMD64

    El miércoles, 31 de mayo de 2006 09:20, Pierre Habouzit escribió:
    > Le Mer 31 Mai 2006 08:19, Matthias Faulstich a écrit :
    > > Hello everyone!
    > >
    > > I would like to install a 64bit version for AMD of testing/etch
    > > debian with X/KDE.
    > > On most mirror servers, I have tried yet, there was README with an
    > > entry like
    > >
    > > amd64 is now available on ftp.debian.org
    > >
    > > Please use your nearest ftp.debian.org mirror now for the etch or
    > > unstable version of the amd64 port of Debian. The sarge version
    > > continues to be available
    > > from amd64.debian.net and its mirrors until sarge is archived.
    > >
    > > This one I found on
    > > ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/dists/etch
    > > which IS my nearest ftp.debian.org mirror.
    > >
    > > My actual etch amd64 installation is from
    > > http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aache.../Linux/debian/
    > > but there is no X/KDE included.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know, where the complete amd64 etch/testing versions are
    > > hosted actually?

    > amd64 is in debian for real. you can use normal debian mirrors.

    No, you are wrong, Pierre. Refrain from speaking so fast. If he wants to
    install KDE on amd64 *on etch* he will have to wait.

    Since some weeks, packages from the amd64 autobuilders are injected into
    unstable, but you have no guarantee that they do the transition to testing
    instantly.

    Currently X.Org packages in unstable are holding back the transition of
    several things to testing/etch, KDE 3.5.3 among others. Matthias, if you are
    not in a hurry, you can wait some days to see if we are able to sort things
    up and kick X.Org into sid. If you are, you will have to install KDE from
    AMD64 mirrors, currently 3.5.2 (not so much difference). You will have X.Org
    6.9, by the way (6.9.0.dfsg.1-6 for those who love exactness).

    I hope that it was useful.

    Best regards,

    Ender.
    --
    You idiots, you've captured their stunt doubles.
    -- Dark Helmet (Spaceballs).

  4. Re: KDE on AMD64

    Le Mer 31 Mai 2006 11:50, David MartÃ*nez Moreno a écrit :
    > El miércoles, 31 de mayo de 2006 09:20, Pierre Habouzit escribió:
    > > Le Mer 31 Mai 2006 08:19, Matthias Faulstich a écrit :

    > > > Does anyone know, where the complete amd64 etch/testing versions
    > > > are hosted actually?

    > > amd64 is in debian for real. you can use normal debian mirrors.

    > No, you are wrong, Pierre. Refrain from speaking so fast. If he
    > wants to install KDE on amd64 *on etch* he will have to wait.

    oh right, I missed the 'etch' thing. though, I can't stress enough
    that testing isn't a good distro to live with as a user. prefer stable
    + backports or unstable, but etch raises a lot of problems that can
    cripple your life.

    to mention a few:
    * when there is big transitions (and that happens all the time)
    packages that are old enough, but can't go in testing because of a
    few uninstallable packages, you have a system that is monthes late,
    with possible RC and other grave bugs in it, waiting for some loosy
    package to be updated. that's what bites you here, wrt X.org.

    * when RC bugs are found, they often are also in etch, and the removal
    of the RC-buggy package can take time, and won't remove it from your
    system anyway. so it's not safer than ustable + apt-listbugs, it
    suffers from the same problems. With the delays beeing worse because
    of the previous item + propagation time to testing.

    * security-wise, testing is a nightmare, even with testing-security.
    the reason is again because of point (1): some security fixes in
    unstable come from the upload of a new upstream release, that may
    involve complex dependencies into unstable, and that isn't doable in
    testing-security (e.g. imagine a package that new upstream *requires*
    an X.org 7.0, then such a 'security fix' is stuck until X.org goes
    in).

    See a recent post of Joey Hess about linux-2.6, I quote:

    » I count something like 24 security holes[1] in the version in
    » testing that would be fixed if we could get a release in from
    » unstable.
    »
    » […]
    »
    » [1] Probably really more.

    the only thing that using testing prevents, is to have his system
    completely broken because of a bad package. This happens sometimes, and
    never last more than a day (if the breakage is really nasty). unstable
    needs obviously some more skills to use (but not that much, I use it on
    a daily basis since quite a long time, without major problems), but
    using testing creates dormant problems, and that's worse. at least,
    when unstable breaks, it's obvious.

    thats IMHO the rationale behind the removal of the unofficial amd64
    mirrors.

    according to DDPO there is backports of kde 3.5.0, and I think
    backports.org handles amd64. If not, then I suggest you to cherry pick
    things from unstable, or wait for testing to see it begin to migrate
    for real. Solution (1) will bring you a KDE with known bugs in it
    (3.5.3 has quite a lot of bugs fixed), (2) will be painfull as it will
    pull X.org, rather use unstable for real, (3) will last a undetermined
    amount of time.
    --
    ·O· Pierre Habouzit
    ··O madcoder@debian.org

  5. Re: KDE on AMD64

  6. Re: KDE on AMD64

    Am Mittwoch, 31. Mai 2006 16:02 schrieb Curt Howland :

    > On Wednesday 31 May 2006 06:07, Pierre Habouzit was heard to say:
    > > oh right, I missed the 'etch' thing. though, I can't stress
    > > enough that testing isn't a good distro to live with as a user.
    > > prefer stable + backports or unstable, but etch raises a lot of
    > > problems that can cripple your life.

    > In early 1995 when I first installed Debian (the "community developed"
    > did it for me), I tried Testing because I thought it sounded good.
    > Sure enough, stuff was broken and I got confused.
    >
    > The advice I was given then is just as valid today: Start with Stable,
    > go to Unstable once comfortable with tweaking the system once in a
    > while.
    >
    > Letting a stone-cold newbie know about /usr/share/doc/* is also a very
    > good idea.

    Thanks all for reply!

    On my 32bit Systems I am using sid since a couple of years with best
    experiences.
    OK, It migth be, that for one or 2 weeks something doesn't work, but that's OK
    for me. Since the transition of X11R7 started, I downgraded to testing
    because of the known problems.
    But I was confused to read "everywhere" (google), that testing on AMD64 should
    already work and to find, that no mirror provides the packages.

    Thanks to all again. I think, the 32bit version works fine for now and I wait,
    until amd64 for testing is available.

    Kind Regards
    Matthias

  7. Re: KDE on AMD64

    Le Mercredi 31 Mai 2006 11:50, David Martínez Moreno a écrit*:
    > El miércoles, 31 de mayo de 2006 09:20, Pierre Habouzit escribió:
    > > Le Mer 31 Mai 2006 08:19, Matthias Faulstich a écrit :
    > > > Hello everyone!
    > > >
    > > > I would like to install a 64bit version for AMD of testing/etch
    > > > debian with X/KDE.
    > > > On most mirror servers, I have tried yet, there was README with an
    > > > entry like
    > > >
    > > > amd64 is now available on ftp.debian.org
    > > > ========================================
    > > >
    > > > Please use your nearest ftp.debian.org mirror now for the etch or
    > > > unstable version of the amd64 port of Debian. The sarge version
    > > > continues to be available
    > > > from amd64.debian.net and its mirrors until sarge is archived.
    > > >
    > > > This one I found on
    > > > ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/dists/etch
    > > > which IS my nearest ftp.debian.org mirror.
    > > >
    > > > My actual etch amd64 installation is from
    > > > http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aache.../Linux/debian/
    > > > but there is no X/KDE included.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know, where the complete amd64 etch/testing versions are
    > > > hosted actually?

    > > amd64 is in debian for real. you can use normal debian mirrors.

    Hi
    > No, you are wrong, Pierre. Refrain from speaking so fast. If he wants to
    > install KDE on amd64 *on etch* he will have to wait.

    Just to tell you that I'm under kde 3.5.2 version, from packages
    ex :
    $ apt-cache policy kdebase
    kdebase:
    Installé*: 4:3.5.2-2
    Candidat*: 4:3.5.2-2
    Table de version*:
    *** 4:3.5.2-2 0
    900 ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    4:3.3.2-1sarge1 0
    700 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    You can see official repository .debian.org, in testing==etch...
    Now, what I could say... I maybe haven't understood something while I'm not
    english... :P :$

    Best regards !

    --
    "il n'y a qu'un moyen d'abolir la guerre entre les peuples, c'est d'abolir la
    guerre économique entre les individus, le désordre de la société actuelle"

+ Reply to Thread