no sound after routine upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on no sound after routine upgrade - Debian ; HI, I'm running sid with the 2.6.16 kernel and kde 3.5.2 on an HP laptop with an AC'97 sound card. Sound had been working perfectly, but this morning I did an aptitude update and upgrade and since then have lost ...

  1. no sound after routine upgrade

    HI,

    I'm running sid with the 2.6.16 kernel and kde 3.5.2 on an HP laptop with an
    AC'97 sound card. Sound had been working perfectly, but this morning I did an
    aptitude update and upgrade and since then have lost all sound. I've run
    alsaconf, and get no error messages. But when I try to use kde's control
    center to start the sound system, I keep getting sigserv messages that the
    soundserver has crashed.

    I'd appreciate any advice.

    Thanks,

    Tim

  2. Re: no sound after routine upgrade

    it looks like the latest libasound2 broke arts. Just downgrade to the
    version in testing.
    --
    Sylvain Joyeux

  3. Re: no sound after routine upgrade

    A Dissabte 27 Maig 2006 23:16, Tim Folger va escriure:
    > HI,
    >
    > I'm running sid with the 2.6.16 kernel and kde 3.5.2 on an HP laptop with
    > an AC'97 sound card. Sound had been working perfectly, but this morning I
    > did an aptitude update and upgrade and since then have lost all sound. I've
    > run alsaconf, and get no error messages. But when I try to use kde's
    > control center to start the sound system, I keep getting sigserv messages
    > that the soundserver has crashed.

    I've got the same problem with same kernel and KDE but with a Sony VAIO and
    HDA-Intel sound card. It has worked perfectly until last upgrade.

    I doesn't have any error message.

    I keep getting hundreds of messages of error and I can't do anything.

    > I'd appreciate any advice.

    Me too

    Bye!
    --
    Jordi Pina - Pinucset
    JID: pinucset@gmail.com

  4. Re: no sound after routine upgrade

    Dnia sobota, 27 maja 2006 23:16, Tim Folger napisa³:
    > HI,
    >
    > I'm running sid with the 2.6.16 kernel and kde 3.5.2 on an HP laptop with
    > an AC'97 sound card. Sound had been working perfectly, but this morning I
    > did an aptitude update and upgrade and since then have lost all sound. I've
    > run alsaconf, and get no error messages. But when I try to use kde's
    > control center to start the sound system, I keep getting sigserv messages
    > that the soundserver has crashed.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any advice.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tim

    Several bugreports on libasound2.
    Please revert to previous (-4) version until new one will be prepared.

    Regards,
    Robert

    --------------------
    W polskim Internecie s± setki milionów stron. My przekazujemy Tobie tylko najlepsze z nich!
    http://katalog.panoramainternetu.pl/

  5. Re: no sound after routine upgrade

    Le Samedi 27 Mai 2006 23:16, Tim Folger a écrit*:
    > HI,
    >
    > I'm running sid with the 2.6.16 kernel and kde 3.5.2 on an HP laptop with
    > an AC'97 sound card. Sound had been working perfectly, but this morning I
    > did an aptitude update and upgrade and since then have lost all sound. I've
    > run alsaconf, and get no error messages. But when I try to use kde's
    > control center to start the sound system, I keep getting sigserv messages
    > that the soundserver has crashed.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any advice.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tim

    Hi,

    I think you will need to downgrade libasound2, as the latest update is quite
    buggy.

    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...pkg=libasound2

    Greg

  6. Re: no sound after routine upgrade

    On Saturday 27 May 2006 15:47, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
    > it looks like the latest libasound2 broke arts. Just downgrade to the
    > version in testing.
    > --
    > Sylvain Joyeux

    Thanks, Sylvain. That solved the problem for me.

    Tim