making fonts available for KDE - Debian

This is a discussion on making fonts available for KDE - Debian ; I installed about all the available fonts with synaptic. No specific configuration. I can find them with xfontsel. But I can't manage KDE to use them. Konqueror for instance. One of them (the fonts) is 'Adobe symbol', and I can't ...

  1. making fonts available for KDE

    I installed about all the available fonts with synaptic.
    No specific configuration.
    I can find them with xfontsel.
    But I can't manage KDE to use them.
    Konqueror for instance.
    One of them (the fonts) is 'Adobe symbol',
    and I can't (don't know how to), make Konqueror use it,
    find it in it's list.

    Christophe

  2. Re: making fonts available for KDE

    On Wednesday 10 May 2006 6:27 am, Baron Christophe wrote:

    > But I can't manage KDE to use them.

    Something is probably broken with Debian's automated font management stuff,
    but I'm sure I'm too stupid to fix it.

    When this happens to me, I use KDE's font installer to find and install them
    manually. That's probably not a "real solution," but it gets me there today,
    without making my head hurt trying to read grossly out-dated font
    documentation.

    It's in the Control Center. System Administration -> Font Installer

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  3. Re: making fonts available for KDE

    On Wed, 10 May 2006, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre wrote:

    > On Wednesday 10 May 2006 6:27 am, Baron Christophe wrote:
    >
    > > But I can't manage KDE to use them.

    > Something is probably broken with Debian's automated font management stuff,
    > but I'm sure I'm too stupid to fix it.
    >
    > When this happens to me, I use KDE's font installer to find and install them
    > manually. That's probably not a "real solution," but it gets me there today,
    > without making my head hurt trying to read grossly out-dated font
    > documentation.
    >
    > It's in the Control Center. System Administration -> Font Installer

    I think I've noticed that, too, but had been more occupied with
    just getting decent printouts. I'm running sarge (upgraded from woody),
    and there is no doubt in my mind that there are probably a bunch of fonts
    on my system that I haven't reached.

    Are you using CUPS? I managed to get my printer(s) working by
    using the KDE print wizard. Do you use different fonts for display versus
    printing? Did you install the package containg Microsoft fonts?
    (msttcorefonts (1.2) [contrib]) I installed this package in the belief
    that I would have a better display on my monitr.

    I like KDE and look forward to using it on my other box running
    etch.

  4. Re: making fonts available for KDE

    El Miércoles, 10 de Mayo de 2006 17:03, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre escribió:
    > > But I can't manage KDE to use them.

    > Something is probably broken with Debian's automated font management stuff,
    > but I'm sure I'm too stupid to fix it.

    Can you provide an example of a package that installs fonts and that doesn't
    work for you? I've never had any problem with them, and even better, I can
    install other fonts easily just copying them to ~/.fonts (or installing with
    the control center, which also copies the files there).

    --
    Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
    http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net

+ Reply to Thread