aRts crashes playing streams - Debian

This is a discussion on aRts crashes playing streams - Debian ; Hi there, strange problem here, I don't quite know where to look. ARts seems to play only audio files and crash on streamed audio. The basic sound system (ALSA) works: xmms can play the desired streams and audio files perfectly ...

  1. aRts crashes playing streams

    Hi there,

    strange problem here, I don't quite know where to look. ARts seems to play
    only audio files and crash on streamed audio.

    The basic sound system (ALSA) works: xmms can play the desired streams and
    audio files perfectly well. Artsd also seems to work as I can get system
    notifications and play audio files with noatun and amaroK.

    Strange things start when using libarts in xmms. I get "failed to open audio
    output: aRts Output 0.7.1". The console output is

    | Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
    | Message: waiting failed: 1
    | Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
    | Message: helper has not terminated
    | Message: Init failed: 1
    | Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
    | Message: helper has not terminated
    | xmms-mad-Message: failed to open audio output: aRts Output 0.7.1

    It gets even stranger trying to play streamed audio. A different dialog
    appears saying "Couldn't open audio" in the title and furter "Please check
    that soundcard is configured correctly ...".

    | Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
    | Message: waiting failed: 1
    | Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
    | Message: helper has not terminated
    | Message: Init failed: 1
    | Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
    | Message: helper has not terminated

    At both times I can get system notifications so artsd seems to work.

    As said above, noatun plays audio files. When I open a stream, I get the
    following output on the console and arts crashes with SIGSEGV.

    | MCOP StartupManager: adding a StartupClass after Dispatcher init will not
    | work.
    | (The previous message was repeated 1 times.)
    | unix_connect: can't connect to server
    | (unix:/tmp/ksocket-chris/localhost.localdomain-1b26-4460a256)
    | Launched ok, pid = 6989

    I can try to play it again, hear some cracks in the speakers (artsd seems to
    be restarting) and artsd crashes again -- this time noatun also quits with
    this message on the console.

    | *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xa7b2dd08 ***
    | KCrash: Application 'noatun' crashing...

    About the same results for amaroK. It plays audio files and I could just now
    play a stream for a few seconds! Trying again it eats up all CPU time, does
    not react on inputs and does not play anything, but I can get system
    notifications. I also once got it crashing artsd with a SIGSEGV like noatun.

    | QObject::connect: No such slot ArtsEngine::newStreamData(char*,int)
    | QObject::connect: (sender name: 'unnamed')
    | QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'unnamed')

    For the details: I tried the newest unstable versions of xmms and xmms-arts,
    noatun and amaroK on a current KDE install.

    ||/ Name Version Description
    ii amarok 1.3.9-1 versatile and easy to use audio player for K
    ii libarts1-akode 3.5.2-2+b2 akode plugin for aRts
    ii libarts1-audio 3.5.2-2+b2 audiofile plugin for aRts
    ii libarts1-mpegl 3.5.2-2+b2 mpeglib plugin for aRts, supporting mp3 and
    ii libarts1-xine 3.5.2-2+b2 aRts plugin enabling xine support
    ii libarts1c2a 1.5.2-1 aRts sound system core components
    ii libartsc0 1.5.2-1 aRts sound system C support library
    ii noatun 3.5.2-2+b2 media player for KDE
    ii xmms 1.2.10+cvs2006 Versatile X audio player
    ii xmms-arts 0.7.1-4 aRts Output plugin for xmms

    Anyone got any hints on anything that might be going wrong?

    TIA,
    Chris

  2. Re: aRts crashes playing streams

    Christoph Sticksel skrev:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > strange problem here, I don't quite know where to look. ARts seems to play
    > only audio files and crash on streamed audio.

    Your problem is not particularly strange.

    The thing is..

    arts is basically crap. Don't use it.

    (for anything but system sounds) :-)

    Anders