Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE - Debian

This is a discussion on Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE - Debian ; Hi, I'm using testing, upgraded regularly but still on KDE 3.3.2 because of dependency issues. As of yesterday, the KDE startup screen hangs, accompanied by a small box in the upper right corner saying (IIRC): "Could not launch kdeinit. Check ...

  1. Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE

    Hi,

    I'm using testing, upgraded regularly but still on KDE 3.3.2 because of
    dependency issues. As of yesterday, the KDE startup screen hangs, accompanied
    by a small box in the upper right corner saying (IIRC): "Could not launch
    kdeinit. Check your installation".

    Pressing OK on this box allows KDE to start normally except for the absence of
    the klaptop power monitor (and maybe other things I haven't found yet).

    An instance of kdeinit is actually running, owned by my normal user.

    Should there be another instance for root?

    Where should I look for the cause of this minor annoyance?

    Thanks,

    John

  2. Re: Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE

    I do not know if this email will reach the list, because I'm not
    subscribed, but anyway, I just would like to tell that I've got the same
    problem with kdeinit, and so does my girlfriend too.

    Just wanted to confirm the problem.

    Regards:

    Bdk

    Jorge García (aka Bardok)
    email: bardok AT telefonica DOT net
    shadow AT bardok DOT net
    "I do not feel obliged to believe
    that the same God who has endowed us
    with sadness, reason and intellect
    has intended us to forgo their use"
    - Galielo Galilei -
    Haggard - The Observer

  3. Re: Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE

    John O'Hagan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using testing, upgraded regularly but still on KDE 3.3.2 because of
    > dependency issues. As of yesterday, the KDE startup screen hangs, accompanied
    > by a small box in the upper right corner saying (IIRC): "Could not launch
    > kdeinit. Check your installation".
    >
    > Pressing OK on this box allows KDE to start normally except for the absence of
    > the klaptop power monitor (and maybe other things I haven't found yet).
    >
    > An instance of kdeinit is actually running, owned by my normal user.
    >
    > Should there be another instance for root?
    >
    > Where should I look for the cause of this minor annoyance?

    Check out this thread on debian-user:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg02096.html
    You may be experiencing the same problem. (And maybe the same solution
    will work for you...)

    Regards,
    Florian

  4. Re: Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE

    Am Montag, 20. Februar 2006 08:09 schrieb John O'Hagan:
    > I'm using testing, upgraded regularly but still on KDE 3.3.2 because of
    > dependency issues. As of yesterday, the KDE startup screen hangs,
    > accompanied by a small box in the upper right corner saying (IIRC): "Could
    > not launch kdeinit. Check your installation".
    >
    > Pressing OK on this box allows KDE to start normally except for the absence
    > of the klaptop power monitor (and maybe other things I haven't found yet).
    >
    > An instance of kdeinit is actually running, owned by my normal user.
    >
    > Should there be another instance for root?
    >
    > Where should I look for the cause of this minor annoyance?

    Either you downgrade libxft2 or you upgrade libfreetype6 to the version in
    unstable (despite the many grave bugs).

    HS

  5. Re: Kdeinit fails to start; hangs KDE

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:16 pm, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Am Montag, 20. Februar 2006 08:09 schrieb John O'Hagan:
    > > I'm using testing, upgraded regularly but still on KDE 3.3.2 because of
    > > dependency issues. As of yesterday, the KDE startup screen hangs,
    > > accompanied by a small box in the upper right corner saying (IIRC):
    > > "Could not launch kdeinit. Check your installation".

    > Either you downgrade libxft2 or you upgrade libfreetype6 to the version in
    > unstable (despite the many grave bugs).
    >
    > HS

    Thank you Florian and Hendrik,

    I now understand the issue; I think I will live with it for a while and see if
    it is solved by the Debian team as I am reluctant to mix distributions;
    otherwise I will take your advice.

    Thanks again

    John