Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files? - Debian

This is a discussion on Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files? - Debian ; I opened system:/media and I have there many harddisk partitions as Unmounted Hard Disk Volume... Most of them don't really exists and they are *not* in /etc/fstab. Pavel -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? ...

  1. Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files?

    I opened system:/media and I have there many harddisk partitions as Unmounted
    Hard Disk Volume... Most of them don't really exists and they are *not*
    in /etc/fstab.

    Pavel

  2. Re: Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files?

    2006/2/14, Pavel Šimerda :
    > I opened system:/media and I have there many harddisk partitions as Unmounted
    > Hard Disk Volume... Most of them don't really exists and they are *not*
    > in /etc/fstab.
    >
    > Pavel

    Maybe it's a silly answer... but did you tried to delete them?

  3. Re: Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files?

    Carlos Carrascal wrote:

    > 2006/2/14, Pavel ?imerda :
    >> I opened system:/media and I have there many harddisk partitions as
    >> Unmounted Hard Disk Volume... Most of them don't really exists and they
    >> are *not* in /etc/fstab.
    >>
    >> Pavel
    >>

    > Maybe it's a silly answer... but did you tried to delete them?

    Have _you_ tried to delete anything in media:/?

    I only have one of these spurious entries "media:/music" - there _is_ in
    fact an fstab entry for the partition, so I can't see why it differs from
    the entries for "media:/" and "media:/boot", which show as mounted
    partitions. If I try to delete the "media:/music" entry, it says "Could
    not delete file media:/sda1.". If I click on it, it says "Could not mount
    device. The reported error was:
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted
    on /home/derek/Desktop/Music
    mount failed"

    I can't figure out where the media entries come from - I have far more
    partitions than are shown (though the others are all LVM), but I can rename
    the entries in media: (the "music" one used to have another name).
    --
    derek

  4. Re: Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files?

    Tirsdag 14 februar 2006 14:22 skrev Derek Broughton:
    > I can't figure out where the media entries come from - I have far more
    > partitions than are shown (though the others are all LVM), but I can rename
    > the entries in media: (the "music" one used to have another name).

    System:/media just shows the root files in the Media:/ ioslave.

    They are a combination of entries from /etc/fstab and hal. My guess is that
    whatever the files are that you are seeing, they are being reported by hal.

    I know this is not really a sollution, but perhaps you can find out why hal is
    reporting these files.

    I found this on google:

    http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=DBUS

    Anders

    --
    - Debian GNU/Linux - KDE 3.5.1 - KMail 1.9.1 -

  5. Re: Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files?

    Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

    > Tirsdag 14 februar 2006 14:22 skrev Derek Broughton:
    >> I can't figure out where the media entries come from - I have far more
    >> partitions than are shown (though the others are all LVM), but I can
    >> rename the entries in media: (the "music" one used to have another name).

    > System:/media just shows the root files in the Media:/ ioslave.
    >
    > They are a combination of entries from /etc/fstab and hal. My guess is
    > that whatever the files are that you are seeing, they are being reported
    > by hal.
    >
    > I know this is not really a sollution, but perhaps you can find out why
    > hal is reporting these files.

    Actually, I doubt it's got _anything_ to do with fstab, but I could be
    wrong. All of these devices _are_ reported by hal (kde-hal-device-manager
    is useful), except that the partition now shown as "music" in media: is
    shown as "root" by hal - this is also correct, as I think that partition
    was once another Linux installation. What I can't figure out is why it's
    being treated differently from the other two partitions shown. They show
    as mounted, "music" does not, though attempting to mount it tells me it's
    already mounted.

    The whole hal/udev business was implemented with _way_ too little available
    documentation.
    --
    derek

  6. Re: Why system:/media contains many old non-existen files?

    On 2006-02-14 17:13, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
    > Tirsdag 14 februar 2006 14:22 skrev Derek Broughton:
    > > I can't figure out where the media entries come from - I have far more
    > > partitions than are shown (though the others are all LVM), but I can
    > > rename the entries in media: (the "music" one used to have another name).

    > System:/media just shows the root files in the Media:/ ioslave.
    >
    > They are a combination of entries from /etc/fstab and hal. My guess is that
    > whatever the files are that you are seeing, they are being reported by hal.
    >
    > I know this is not really a sollution, but perhaps you can find out why hal
    > is reporting these files.
    >
    > I found this on google:
    >
    > http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=DBUS
    >
    > Anders
    >

    > --
    > - Debian GNU/Linux - KDE 3.5.1 - KMail 1.9.1 -

    My fault, the partitions exist.

    I played with hal device manager.... very nice...

    The only bad thing is... that KDE knows there are partitions like /dev/hda2
    (label=gentoo-boot) but it cannot mount them.

    I can mount a usb stick, though.

    Pavel

+ Reply to Thread