KDE and Hardware detection - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE and Hardware detection - Debian ; Hello, I am on debian etch, and sunday i migrate to Kde 3.51, before i was in Kde 3.42. My linux kernel is 2.6.12. In Kde 3.42 the Hardware detection were assumed by udev with udev rules , pmount and ...

  1. KDE and Hardware detection

    Hello,
    I am on debian etch, and sunday i migrate to Kde 3.51, before i was in Kde
    3.42.
    My linux kernel is 2.6.12.
    In Kde 3.42 the Hardware detection were assumed by udev with udev rules ,
    pmount and Hal and gnome-volume-manager with rules defined into
    gnome-volume-properties and all worked fine.
    If i put my USB Key and my picture Camera they are mounted on define file
    storage. (Rules udev+ fstab).
    I i put an DVD in my dvd reader it's open xine to read the DVD.
    First time when i upgrade to Kde 3.51 Hal and gnome-volume-manager where
    removed by the upgrade. In second time I reinstall gnome-volume-manager and
    Hal.
    Now if i put my USB Key a beautiful windows is open with choice : 1) open an
    new windows 2) nothing. If I answer 1, an empty new window is open and i
    can't see anything there is no information on my USB key, i must open an new
    windows with konkeror to go to the right file storage. If i choice 2 , i
    can't see nothing anywhere.
    Same event with my picture camera.
    When i put an DVD in the dvd reader, i don't succeed to program in the
    control center to launch xine to read the dvd.
    My question is is there any documentation or Howto on how to program the
    control center--> Peripherals>Storage Media to do what i want ?
    Second Question if it is too difficult for me, how to prevent the action of
    Kde on Hardware detection ?
    Sorry for my poor english.
    Thank you for any help.
    Philippe MERLIN
    ps : I have deinstalled gnome-volume-manager with no more success.
    When i program an event with the control center, i often have an error

  2. Re: KDE and Hardware detection

    > Now if i put my USB Key a beautiful windows is open with choice : 1) openan
    > new windows 2) nothing. If I answer 1, an empty new window is open and i
    > can't see anything there is no information on my USB key, i must open an new
    > windows with konkeror to go to the right file storage. If i choice 2 , i
    > can't see nothing anywhere.

    Hi, i had the same problem with KDE 3.5.1, and turned out to be a
    kernel problem. I upgraded from kernel 2.6.14 to 2.6.15 and everything
    works fine again.

    Cheers

  3. Re: KDE and Hardware detection

    On Tuesday 14 February 2006 08:23, Carlos Carrascal wrote:
    > > Now if i put my USB Key a beautiful windows is open with choice : 1) open
    > > an new windows 2) nothing. If I answer 1, an empty new window is open
    > > and i can't see anything there is no information on my USB key, i must
    > > open an new windows with konkeror to go to the right file storage. If i
    > > choice 2 , i can't see nothing anywhere.

    > Hi, i had the same problem with KDE 3.5.1, and turned out to be a
    > kernel problem. I upgraded from kernel 2.6.14 to 2.6.15 and everything
    > works fine again.

    I am already using 2.6.15 but have essentially the same problem as Philippe.

    regards

  4. Re: KDE and Hardware detection

    > I am already using 2.6.15 but have essentially the same problem as Philippe.

    those are my packages:
    ii udev 0.084-3
    ii pmount 0.9.7-2
    ii hal 0.5.6-2
    ii hal-device-manager 0.5.6-2
    ii libhal-storage1 0.5.6-2
    ii libhal1 0.5.6-2
    ii dbus 0.60-5
    ii libdbus-1-2 0.60-5
    ii libdbus-glib-1-2 0.60-5
    ii libdbus-qt-1-1c2 0.60-5
    ii python2.4-dbus 0.60-5

    hotplug is not needed anymore. also check for uninstalled packages
    without purge, and remove the old configuration files, like this:

    # dpkg -l | grep ^rc

    remove the package listed using:

    # dpkg --purge

    tell me later