kwallet not accessible after dbus restart - Debian

This is a discussion on kwallet not accessible after dbus restart - Debian ; Hi, can anyone else confirm this: * open kwalletmanager and look if the wallet is visible * close the window * run as root: /etc/init.d/dbus restart * open kwalletmanager and look if the wallet is visible Here, it is now ...

  1. kwallet not accessible after dbus restart

    Hi,

    can anyone else confirm this:
    * open kwalletmanager and look if the wallet is visible
    * close the window
    * run as root: /etc/init.d/dbus restart
    * open kwalletmanager and look if the wallet is visible

    Here, it is now gone and no app (e.g. kmail) can access it anymore :-(

    So: this breaks _any_(!) KDE session by just installing e.g. bluez-pin. GREAT!
    This is probably due to incorrectly depending on environment variables for a
    system service, wrong approach I'd say.

    But where shall I report this too? (What KDE application?)

    HS

  2. Re: kwallet not accessible after dbus restart

    On Monday 13 February 2006 19:47, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > can anyone else confirm this:
    > * open kwalletmanager and look if the wallet is visible
    > * close the window
    > * run as root: /etc/init.d/dbus restart
    > * open kwalletmanager and look if the wallet is visible
    >
    > Here, it is now gone and no app (e.g. kmail) can access it anymore :-(
    >
    > So: this breaks _any_(!) KDE session by just installing e.g. bluez-pin.
    > GREAT! This is probably due to incorrectly depending on environment
    > variables for a system service, wrong approach I'd say.
    >
    > But where shall I report this too? (What KDE application?)

    My guess: some kded modules has a connection to the systembus, very likely
    mediamanager or medianotifier, and the bus restart kills kded, thus taking
    any kded service down as well (the wallet is a kded module)

    Could be verified if for example cookies are off as well.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  3. Re: kwallet not accessible after dbus restart

    > dbus restart sometimes kills kded, and kded is one of the main daemon of
    > the kde session. You have to log out and in kde again, there is no
    > other mean.

    You can restart kded in a konsole without relogging (just start 'kded' in a
    shell). You may want to restart khotkeys too (this one does the mouse
    gesture and the global accel keys)
    --
    Sylvain Joyeux

  4. Re: kwallet not accessible after dbus restart

    Am Montag, 13. Februar 2006 20:16 schrieb Pierre Habouzit:
    > dbus restart sometimes kills kded, and kded is one of the main daemon of
    > the kde session.

    Shouldn't that call the crash handler and I should see its window coming up?

    HS

  5. Re: kwallet not accessible after dbus restart

    Hendrik Sattler wrote:

    > Am Montag, 13. Februar 2006 20:16 schrieb Pierre Habouzit:
    >> dbus restart sometimes kills kded, and kded is one of the main daemon of
    >> the kde session.

    > Shouldn't that call the crash handler and I should see its window coming
    > up?

    I had a similar sounding problem (w/ Ubuntu) when avahi was implemented, and
    aptitude didn't attempt to install all the required components
    (avahi-daemon and libavahi-something), but you're right - the kded failures
    kept spawning drkonqi windows interminably (I counted up to 160 once).
    --
    derek

  6. Re: kwallet not accessible after dbus restart

    Le Lun 13 Février 2006 20:48, Sylvain Joyeux a écrit :
    > > dbus restart sometimes kills kded, and kded is one of the main
    > > daemon of the kde session. You have to log out and in kde again,
    > > there is no other mean.

    > You can restart kded in a konsole without relogging (just start
    > 'kded' in a shell). You may want to restart khotkeys too (this one
    > does the mouse gesture and the global accel keys)

    it's sometimes not enough.

    you have mostly to restart all the KDE processes. Maybe it has changed
    in KDE 3.5, but in KDE 3.4, when I had kded problems, and I restart it
    manually, then kwallet, khotkeys, kmilo, and a couple other processes
    have to be restarted too, like you said.

    but it's not enough, because every konqueror, kmail, kio_slaves that
    uses kwallet have to be restarted too. And then, since I have my
    adressbook in a "groupware" imap storage, quitting kmail makes kopete
    fail. It's just hell.

    well, in two words like in 10, it sucks. It's easier to log out and in
    again, than to try to fix your session, and forgot one thing, that let
    you with a broken application, and no idea on how to fix it correctly.
    --
    ·O· Pierre Habouzit
    ··O madcoder@debian.org

+ Reply to Thread