How to create keyboard shortcuts in KDE? - Debian

This is a discussion on How to create keyboard shortcuts in KDE? - Debian ; Hello, could you tell me how to create keyboard shortcuts in KDE and whether they work or not? I wanted to create some shortcuts for inserting commonly used text. I went to control center, regional settings and accessibility, keyboard actions/shortcuts ...

  1. How to create keyboard shortcuts in KDE?

    Hello,
    could you tell me how to create keyboard shortcuts in KDE and whether they
    work or not?
    I wanted to create some shortcuts for inserting commonly used text.
    I went to control center, regional settings and accessibility, keyboard
    actions/shortcuts (rough translation, I use localized version).
    I added new action, set its type as keyboard shortcut -> keyboard input, then
    defined shortcut as alt-b (alt-ctrl-b for the second try), then in last tab I
    entered my text, which I wanted to be sent to an application. I tried to
    choose all three choices in send input to radio button group. And eventually
    (after clicking all the apply buttons) nothing has been sent to any of tried
    applications (konsole, kate, kbabel).
    Have I done anything wrong? Or is this common KDE bug?
    I would appreciate any opinions.
    By the way, when I defined action as shortcut -> command/url, it surprisingly
    worked :\

    Best regards,
    Robert

  2. Re: How to create keyboard shortcuts in KDE?

    Robert Gomułka wrote:
    > could you tell me how to create keyboard shortcuts in KDE and whether
    > they work or not?

    They do.

    > I wanted to create some shortcuts for inserting commonly used text.
    > I went to control center, regional settings and accessibility, keyboard
    > actions/shortcuts (rough translation, I use localized version).
    > I added new action, set its type as keyboard shortcut -> keyboard
    > input, then defined shortcut as alt-b (alt-ctrl-b for the second try),
    > then in last tab I entered my text, which I wanted to be sent to an
    > application.

    How did you do that? It's not just plain text, it's a key sequence you
    have to enter there. For example to send string "Hello" into application
    you have to put string "Shift+H:E:L:L:O" into this textbox.

    --
    Hasso Tepper
    KDE Estonian Team

+ Reply to Thread