KDE and Hardware detection - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE and Hardware detection - Debian ; Hi, I recently tried KDE on Suse 9.3, and happily noticed that when plugging a USB stick, it is automatically mounted somewhere within /media and a Konqueror instance pops up, showing the content of the stick. It seems to make ...

  1. KDE and Hardware detection

    Hi,

    I recently tried KDE on Suse 9.3, and happily noticed that when plugging
    a USB stick, it is automatically mounted somewhere within /media and
    a Konqueror instance pops up, showing the content of the stick.
    It seems to make use of HAL, but I also noticed something called "Suseplugger".

    Is it possible to get the same behaviour on Debian unstable (KDE 3.5),
    and how? (I have hal installed).

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Jérôme Marant

  2. Re: KDE and Hardware detection

    Jérôme Marant wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently tried KDE on Suse 9.3, and happily noticed that when plugging
    > a USB stick, it is automatically mounted somewhere within /media and
    > a Konqueror instance pops up, showing the content of the stick.
    > It seems to make use of HAL, but I also noticed something called "Suseplugger".
    >
    > Is it possible to get the same behaviour on Debian unstable (KDE 3.5),
    > and how? (I have hal installed).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    see here, steps 1) - 3):
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg01916.html

    For unstable and KDE 3.5 you need "dbus" instead of "dbus-1".

    Also make sure that you have upgraded to the current version of both
    udev (0.084-1) and hal/libhal1 (0.5.6-2).

    This should get you an icon on the Desktop whenever you insert a USB
    stick or a CD. Further automatic actions, such as "Open in New Window"
    or "Play" (audio CD) can be configured in "K-Menu > Control Center >
    Peripherals > Storage Media". (If everything works properly you will be
    prompted for a default action when you insert a given media type for the
    first time.)

    Regards,
    Florian

  3. Re: KDE and Hardware detection

    Hi Florian,

    > see here, steps 1) - 3):
    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg01916.html
    >

    > For unstable and KDE 3.5 you need "dbus" instead of "dbus-1".
    >
    > Also make sure that you have upgraded to the current version of both
    > udev (0.084-1) and hal/libhal1 (0.5.6-2).
    >

    > This should get you an icon on the Desktop whenever you insert a USB
    > stick or a CD. Further automatic actions, such as "Open in New Window"
    > or "Play" (audio CD) can be configured in "K-Menu > Control Center >
    > Peripherals > Storage Media". (If everything works properly you will be
    > prompted for a default action when you insert a given media type for the
    > first time.)

    Thank you very much! It worked just fine. Nonetheless, I had to
    reboot in order to get it work after many attempts; there must
    be a reason.

    Cheers,

    --
    Jérôme Marant

  4. Re: KDE and Hardware detection

    Jérôme Marant wrote:
    > Hi Florian,
    >

    >>see here, steps 1) - 3):
    >>http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg01916.html
    >>

    >>For unstable and KDE 3.5 you need "dbus" instead of "dbus-1".
    >>
    >>Also make sure that you have upgraded to the current version of both
    >>udev (0.084-1) and hal/libhal1 (0.5.6-2).
    >>

    >>This should get you an icon on the Desktop whenever you insert a USB
    >>stick or a CD. Further automatic actions, such as "Open in New Window"
    >>or "Play" (audio CD) can be configured in "K-Menu > Control Center >
    >>Peripherals > Storage Media". (If everything works properly you will be
    >>prompted for a default action when you insert a given media type for the
    >>first time.)

    > Thank you very much! It worked just fine. Nonetheless, I had to
    > reboot in order to get it work after many attempts; there must
    > be a reason.

    Hi Jérôme,

    Maybe that was because dbus, hal and udev had to be restarted. These
    services are stopped and restarted automatically when they themselves
    are upgraded, but I am not sure if, for example, a udev upgrade also
    restarts dbus and hal. This might screw things up.

    You should not have to reboot, though; you can always run (as root)
    "udevsynthesize" to reread the udev rules, and "invoke-rc.d dbus" to
    restart dbus and hal. This is also the first step in troubleshooting, as
    it will (hopefully) give you meaningful error messages if things go wrong.

    Regards,
    Florian