Data Organizing Program? [OT?] - Debian

This is a discussion on Data Organizing Program? [OT?] - Debian ; Hello, I have a question which probably is off topic, but KDE is all about nice GUIng, so I hope somebody might have some nice pointers for me. I'm looking for program to organize my (research) data. What I'm imagining ...

  1. Data Organizing Program? [OT?]

    Hello,

    I have a question which probably is off topic, but KDE is all about nice
    GUIng, so I hope somebody might have some nice pointers for me.

    I'm looking for program to organize my (research) data. What I'm imagining
    is something that would allow me to create a (file system like) tree
    structure with Projects on the top level, follwed one level deeper by
    subprojects (in my case: experiments or publications). In my dream app ;0)
    there would be required fields with any one of these elements (which should
    be freely configurable as to what content (data) type is required,
    permissible, prohibited for any given object), e.g.:
    - a required "motivation" field associated with each project
    - a required "synopsis" field associated with a publication (which would
    have to hold also a pointer to a pdf) ...

    All of this should be searchable and arrangeable by date, data type and be
    easily amendable with new data-objects and hierarchy levels ... enough
    request yet?

    Maybe this is all intelligible, but googling hasn't turned up anything so
    far and I was wondering whether anybody had had the idea or came across a
    freeware solution ...

    Thanks, Joh

  2. Re: Data Organizing Program? [OT?]

    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 04:12 pm, Johannes Graumann wrote:

    [...]
    > I'm looking for program to organize my (research) data. What I'm imagining
    > is something that would allow me to create a (file system like) tree
    > structure with Projects on the top level, follwed one level deeper by
    > subprojects (in my case: experiments or publications). In my dream app ;0)
    > there would be required fields with any one of these elements (which should
    > be freely configurable as to what content (data) type is required,
    > permissible, prohibited for any given object), e.g.:
    > - a required "motivation" field associated with each project
    > - a required "synopsis" field associated with a publication (which would
    > have to hold also a pointer to a pdf) ...
    >
    > All of this should be searchable and arrangeable by date, data type and be
    > easily amendable with new data-objects and hierarchy levels ... enough
    > request yet?

    [...]

    BasKet is the nearest thing I've seen to this in KDE:

    http://basket.kde.org/

    Unfortunately it's not available in testing right now, so you'd have to go
    unstable (or source) to get the latest version. The stable version lacks some
    of the features you are after, like the tree structure.

    Hope this helps,

    John

  3. Re: Data Organizing Program? [OT?]

    I just started playing around with a program called "kdissert" which
    might be exactly what you are looking for.

    apt-get install kdissert

    There is also kjots, which isn't quite as graphical.