KDE, Debian and USB drives. - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE, Debian and USB drives. - Debian ; Hi, I'm new to the list, so I'll apologize in advanced if this was already covered :P I just installed Debian as part of an "experiment" as I'm writing an article about it for a Linux forums site. I have ...

  1. KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    Hi,

    I'm new to the list, so I'll apologize in advanced if this was already
    covered :P

    I just installed Debian as part of an "experiment" as I'm writing an
    article about
    it for a Linux forums site. I have just come across a problem that I
    am unsure how to resolve: if I insert a CD/DVD in the PC, it gets
    mounted automatically, and is available in media:/ and in the Storage
    Device kicker applet as well. How can I do this with a USB drive as
    well? From what I have read, using HAL and udev should be enough to
    accomplish that.

    I have done many searches on google, but the results were less than
    satisfying. Many links pointed to hotplug, which according to my last
    update is deprecated, and was removed. Other sites just gave me
    information, but managed to contradict themselves, and wouldn't be of
    help.

    Can anyone give me pointers to up to date documentation regarding this
    issue, like Debian howto or something? In case it helps, I'm using
    Debian unstable, apt-get upgrade'd last night (Feb 1st).

    Thanks alot

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    eMail: dadexter@gmail.com

    WWW: https://sigterm.homeunix.com
    Registered Linux #349269

  2. Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    Martin,

    That thread was actually just being discussed over the past week, and some
    of us still have trouble. :-) As near as I can figure:

    1) You want a very recent kernel (2.6.12 or later, I think), udev, hal,
    and pmount.

    2) You do NOT want usbmount or hotplug, as those are deprecated despite
    still being in the archive and installing without complaining.

    3) You do want to wait a few days for the latest version of udev to get
    checked in and become available, as it fixes a bug that keeps it from
    working with USB drives. :-)

    At least that's my understanding, and I hope that waiting a few days will
    finally get my USB card reader to work.

    To be fair, since you're writing an article, this is what happens when you
    run a devel edition of a distro. Sid, Mandriva Cooker, Red Hat Rawhide
    (or whatever the call it), I suspect you'd get similar "here today, gone
    tomorrow" issues with any of them.

    And yes, real documentation on what the current recommended setup is this
    week to make removable media work in Linux in a way that's not 30 years
    out of date is extremely lacking. It wasn't that long ago thot hotplug
    was The Answer. It's not a Debian-specific problem, it's just that Sid
    doesn't have a "do it this way and shaddup" pre-configured setup the way
    Fedora/SuSE/Mandriva/Kubuntu do so we notice it more when the mood changes
    this week.

    --Larry Garfield

    On Thu, February 2, 2006 9:40 am, EmIscA said:
    > If you read the archives of this mailing list you will find all the
    > informations you want.
    > Bye
    >
    > Martin Lefebvre ha scritto:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm new to the list, so I'll apologize in advanced if this was already
    >>covered :P
    >>
    >>I just installed Debian as part of an "experiment" as I'm writing an
    >>article about
    >>it for a Linux forums site. I have just come across a problem that I
    >>am unsure how to resolve: if I insert a CD/DVD in the PC, it gets
    >>mounted automatically, and is available in media:/ and in the Storage
    >>Device kicker applet as well. How can I do this with a USB drive as
    >>well? From what I have read, using HAL and udev should be enough to
    >>accomplish that.
    >>
    >>I have done many searches on google, but the results were less than
    >>satisfying. Many links pointed to hotplug, which according to my last
    >>update is deprecated, and was removed. Other sites just gave me
    >>information, but managed to contradict themselves, and wouldn't be of
    >>help.
    >>
    >>Can anyone give me pointers to up to date documentation regarding this
    >>issue, like Debian howto or something? In case it helps, I'm using
    >>Debian unstable, apt-get upgrade'd last night (Feb 1st).
    >>
    >>Thanks alot
    >>

    >>--
    >>Martin Lefebvre
    >>eMail: dadexter@gmail.com
    >>
    >>WWW: https://sigterm.homeunix.com
    >>Registered Linux #349269

    > --

  3. Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    Larry Garfield wrote:
    > Martin,
    >
    > That thread was actually just being discussed over the past week, and some
    > of us still have trouble. :-) As near as I can figure:
    >
    > 1) You want a very recent kernel (2.6.12 or later, I think), udev, hal,
    > and pmount.
    >
    > 2) You do NOT want usbmount or hotplug, as those are deprecated despite
    > still being in the archive and installing without complaining.
    >
    > 3) You do want to wait a few days for the latest version of udev to get
    > checked in and become available, as it fixes a bug that keeps it from
    > working with USB drives. :-)
    >
    > At least that's my understanding, and I hope that waiting a few days will
    > finally get my USB card reader to work.

    At the moment you can simply downgrade to udev 0.082-1 which works fine
    with hal 0.5.5.1-5. As soon as hal 0.5.6-2 enters unstable (it is
    currently in incoming) you can upgrade again to the current version of
    udev (0.084-1). You can also grab the new hal packages from incoming
    right now:
    http://incoming.debian.org/hal-devic....5.6-2_all.deb
    http://incoming.debian.org/hal_0.5.6-2_ARC.deb
    where ARC is the suffix for your architecture (i386, ia64, powerpc, etc.)

    Regards,
    Florian

  4. Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    On 2/2/06, Florian Kulzer wrote:

    > At the moment you can simply downgrade to udev 0.082-1 which works fine
    > with hal 0.5.5.1-5. As soon as hal 0.5.6-2 enters unstable (it is
    > currently in incoming) you can upgrade again to the current version of
    > udev (0.084-1). You can also grab the new hal packages from incoming
    > right now:
    > http://incoming.debian.org/hal-devic....5.6-2_all.deb
    > http://incoming.debian.org/hal_0.5.6-2_ARC.deb
    > where ARC is the suffix for your architecture (i386, ia64, powerpc, etc.)

    Thanks alot, I will be testing that tonight. If this works, Debian
    might have stolen a user from Slackware :P

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    eMail: dadexter@gmail.com

    WWW: https://sigterm.homeunix.com
    Registered Linux #349269

  5. Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    Derek Broughton wrote:

    > Larry Garfield wrote:
    >
    >> And yes, real documentation on what the current recommended setup is this
    >> week to make removable media work in Linux in a way that's not 30 years
    >> out of date is extremely lacking. It wasn't that long ago thot hotplug
    >> was The Answer. It's not a Debian-specific problem, it's just that Sid
    >> doesn't have a "do it this way and shaddup" pre-configured setup the way
    >> Fedora/SuSE/Mandriva/Kubuntu do so we notice it more when the mood
    >> changes this week.

    > If it makes you feel better, Kubuntu (my distro of choice) isn't
    > documenting
    > this any better _or_ giving you a better pre-configured setup. It might
    > (and I think probably does) work out of the box with a fresh install, but
    > there's a ton of people having trouble with it right now (yesterday I
    > completely lost the ability to mount a usb stick - not an automounting
    > problem, because it doesn't even generate a kernel message).

    fyi, I downgraded my kernel from 2.6.15-14 to 2.6.15-12 and USB sticks are
    seen again.
    --
    derek

  6. Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    On 2/3/06, Derek Broughton wrote:

    > fyi, I downgraded my kernel from 2.6.15-14 to 2.6.15-12 and USB sticks are
    > seen again.

    Well, I upgraded the hal to 0.5.6-2 which seems to have made its way
    out of incoming yesterday, and it seems to be working fine now...

    Thanks alot

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    eMail: dadexter@gmail.com