Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives. - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives. - Debian ; If you read the archives of this mailing list you will find all the informations you want. Bye Martin Lefebvre ha scritto: >Hi, > >I'm new to the list, so I'll apologize in advanced if this was already >covered :P ...

  1. Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    Martin Lefebvre ha scritto:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm new to the list, so I'll apologize in advanced if this was already
    >covered :P
    >
    >I just installed Debian as part of an "experiment" as I'm writing an
    >article about
    >it for a Linux forums site. I have just come across a problem that I
    >am unsure how to resolve: if I insert a CD/DVD in the PC, it gets
    >mounted automatically, and is available in media:/ and in the Storage
    >Device kicker applet as well. How can I do this with a USB drive as
    >well? From what I have read, using HAL and udev should be enough to
    >accomplish that.
    >
    >I have done many searches on google, but the results were less than
    >satisfying. Many links pointed to hotplug, which according to my last
    >update is deprecated, and was removed. Other sites just gave me
    >information, but managed to contradict themselves, and wouldn't be of
    >help.
    >
    >Can anyone give me pointers to up to date documentation regarding this
    >issue, like Debian howto or something? In case it helps, I'm using
    >Debian unstable, apt-get upgrade'd last night (Feb 1st).
    >
    >Thanks alot
    >

    >--
    >Martin Lefebvre
    >eMail: dadexter@gmail.com
    >
    >WWW: https://sigterm.homeunix.com
    >Registered Linux #349269

  2. Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

    Larry Garfield wrote:

    > And yes, real documentation on what the current recommended setup is this
    > week to make removable media work in Linux in a way that's not 30 years
    > out of date is extremely lacking. It wasn't that long ago thot hotplug
    > was The Answer. It's not a Debian-specific problem, it's just that Sid
    > doesn't have a "do it this way and shaddup" pre-configured setup the way
    > Fedora/SuSE/Mandriva/Kubuntu do so we notice it more when the mood changes
    > this week.

    If it makes you feel better, Kubuntu (my distro of choice) isn't documenting
    this any better _or_ giving you a better pre-configured setup. It might
    (and I think probably does) work out of the box with a fresh install, but
    there's a ton of people having trouble with it right now (yesterday I
    completely lost the ability to mount a usb stick - not an automounting
    problem, because it doesn't even generate a kernel message).
    --
    derek