seg fault and panic after upgrading to kde 3.5.1 in dapper - Debian

This is a discussion on seg fault and panic after upgrading to kde 3.5.1 in dapper - Debian ; dear list, After upgrading to kde 3.5.1 in kubuntu dapper and restarting I get: uncompressing linux segmentation fault .....(10x ?) segmentation fault 0segmentation fault (notice the 0) and more panic. Could this be caused by the upgrade? I am surprised, ...

  1. seg fault and panic after upgrading to kde 3.5.1 in dapper

    dear list,

    After upgrading to kde 3.5.1 in kubuntu dapper and restarting I get:
    uncompressing linux
    segmentation fault
    .....(10x ?)
    segmentation fault
    0segmentation fault (notice the 0)

    and more panic.

    Could this be caused by the upgrade? I am surprised, but it's the only
    explanation I have.

    What can I do now, except from a complete reinstall (to Breezy!) ? :-(

    Thanks,

    Bas

  2. Re: seg fault and panic after upgrading to kde 3.5.1 in dapper

    On Thursday 02 February 2006 14:46, Bas Spitters wrote:

    > After upgrading to kde 3.5.1 in kubuntu dapper and restarting I get:
    > uncompressing linux
    > segmentation fault
    > ....(10x ?)
    > segmentation fault
    > 0segmentation fault (notice the 0)
    >
    > and more panic.
    >
    > Could this be caused by the upgrade? I am surprised, but it's the
    > only explanation I have.
    >
    > What can I do now, except from a complete reinstall (to Breezy!) ?

    I presume this is an error you are getting during boot up (long before
    KDE has done anything). So you've got a bad kernel, but normally
    Ubuntu/Debian has lots of spare kernels. Choose one of the fallback
    kernels (from the 'grub' menu at the very beginning of boot up), and
    see how you get on.

    Luke

    --
    "In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to
    finding a cure for jerks." (Calvin and Hobbes)

    Luke Plant || L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net || http://lukeplant.me.uk/