LDAP schema for kaddressbook? - Debian

This is a discussion on LDAP schema for kaddressbook? - Debian ; Hello, recently I moved my contacts and addresses, which I manage with kaddressbook, from the local file-based backend to my ldap server. This works quite well in general, but unfortunately kaddressbook is unable to save some extended properties like the ...

  1. LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    Hello,

    recently I moved my contacts and addresses, which I manage with
    kaddressbook, from the local file-based backend to my ldap server.
    This works quite well in general, but unfortunately kaddressbook is
    unable to save some extended properties like the date of birth or
    instant messaging addresses to the ldap backend.

    Kaddressbook uses the inetOrgPerson object class, which does not
    support these attributes. Is there a schema, that would allow
    kaddressbook to store _all_ properties of my contacts on the ldap
    backend?

    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Jim

  2. Re: LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    Jim MacBaine a écrit :
    > Hello,
    >
    > recently I moved my contacts and addresses, which I manage with
    > kaddressbook, from the local file-based backend to my ldap server.
    > This works quite well in general, but unfortunately kaddressbook is
    > unable to save some extended properties like the date of birth or
    > instant messaging addresses to the ldap backend.
    >
    > Kaddressbook uses the inetOrgPerson object class, which does not
    > support these attributes. Is there a schema, that would allow
    > kaddressbook to store _all_ properties of my contacts on the ldap
    > backend?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated,
    > Jim

    Hi,

    there is not yet a real LDAP schema standard for this.
    However, mozilla is working on it, and it's possible that we will have a
    schema before thunderbid 1.6 is out.
    You can look into thunderbird's bugzilla and search for LDAP bugs, it's
    discussed there.
    I guess once mozilla has defined a standard schema, KDE will/can follow
    and implement them.
    Last time I checked, there was a draft schema available that looked good
    to mozilla's devs so one could probably implement it in KDE's trunk.

    You might want to speak to kdepim people first, they probably follow
    closely that point.

    Cheers,
    Mik

  3. Re: LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    On Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:25, Jim MacBaine wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > recently I moved my contacts and addresses, which I manage with
    > kaddressbook, from the local file-based backend to my ldap server.
    > This works quite well in general, but unfortunately kaddressbook is
    > unable to save some extended properties like the date of birth or
    > instant messaging addresses to the ldap backend.
    >
    > Kaddressbook uses the inetOrgPerson object class, which does not
    > support these attributes. Is there a schema, that would allow
    > kaddressbook to store _all_ properties of my contacts on the ldap
    > backend?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated,
    > Jim

    hi,

    could you tell us something about your ldap setup?
    which server are you using ?

    thanks

  4. Re: LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    On 1/31/06, Mickael Marchand wrote:

    > there is not yet a real LDAP schema standard for this.
    > However, mozilla is working on it, and it's possible that we will have a
    > schema before thunderbid 1.6 is out.
    > You can look into thunderbird's bugzilla and search for LDAP bugs, it's
    > discussed there.
    > I guess once mozilla has defined a standard schema, KDE will/can follow
    > and implement them.
    > Last time I checked, there was a draft schema available that looked good
    > to mozilla's devs so one could probably implement it in KDE's trunk.

    Ok. The preliminary schema of the Mozilla people can be found at

    http://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:LDAP_Address_Books

    This schema does not look like it will will go much beyond the
    inetOrgPerson schema. So, effectively the LDAP storage module can
    only store about a third of the attributes that I can enter into the
    addressbook.

    Besides, I get no warning that I loose a lot of my information when I
    move my contacts from a fully supported storage backend to a LDAP
    server. I think there should at least be a warning to prevent data
    loss. I'll file a bug against kdepim report in the Debian BTS.

    Regards,
    Jim

  5. Re: LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    Le Mer 1 Février 2006 14:34, Jim MacBaine a écrit :
    > loss. I'll file a bug against kdepim report in the Debian BTS.

    please prefere bugs.kde.org for that (if it does not bother you too
    much).

    the debian BTS is already overloaded with bugs we don't have time to
    check. So when those are upstream bugs, like this one, putting it in
    the right place is a nice help to us. Else, it has the more likely
    chances to rot on the BTS, which is sad, but inevitable due to the
    already too big number of bugs we have to face [1] (look at
    kdebase/kdepim ...)

    [1]*http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?l...sts.debian.org
    --
    ·O· Pierre Habouzit
    ··O madcoder@debian.org

  6. Re: LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    On 2/1/06, Pierre Habouzit wrote:

    > please prefere bugs.kde.org for that (if it does not bother you too
    > much).

    Ok, I will do.

    > the debian BTS is already overloaded with bugs we don't have time to
    > check. So when those are upstream bugs, like this one, putting it in
    > the right place is a nice help to us. Else, it has the more likely
    > chances to rot on the BTS, which is sad, but inevitable due to the
    > already too big number of bugs we have to face [1] (look at
    > kdebase/kdepim ...)

    But despite that number of bugs, KDE is working very well in general.

    Keep up the good work!
    Jim

  7. Re: LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    On 1/31/06, qaz wrote:

    > could you tell us something about your ldap setup?
    > which server are you using ?

    There is nothing special about the setup. I'm running slapd from
    Debian Sarge on my desktop for the address book and local user
    management. I created a seperate tree as "cn=jim,ou=Address
    Book,dc=domain,dc=local", which is the base dn for the address book.
    The object class for the leafs is inetOrgPerson.

    The motivation was to be able to use the mail addresses from my
    address book from within mutt, without having to enter every single
    address into my muttrc manually after I added the contact to the kde
    address book. This works very well, apart from those attributes that
    kaddressbook simply can't save.

    Regards,
    Jim

  8. Re: LDAP schema for kaddressbook?

    On Wednesday 01 February 2006 14:50, Jim MacBaine wrote:
    > On 1/31/06, qaz wrote:
    > > could you tell us something about your ldap setup?
    > > which server are you using ?

    > There is nothing special about the setup. I'm running slapd from
    > Debian Sarge on my desktop for the address book and local user
    > management. I created a seperate tree as "cn=jim,ou=Address
    > Book,dc=domain,dc=local", which is the base dn for the address book.
    > The object class for the leafs is inetOrgPerson.
    >
    > The motivation was to be able to use the mail addresses from my
    > address book from within mutt, without having to enter every single
    > address into my muttrc manually after I added the contact to the kde
    > address book. This works very well, apart from those attributes that
    > kaddressbook simply can't save.

    The kaddressbook package contains a program called kabc2mutt which, as far as
    I understand it, can be used by mutt to query for addresses

    Cheers,
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread