matrox G550 driver doesn't support xserver 6.9.0 - Debian

This is a discussion on matrox G550 driver doesn't support xserver 6.9.0 - Debian ; So I just did an apt-get upgrade, and now I'm running xserver 6.9.0. Alas, the latest version of the matrox linux drivers only support 6.8.2. Which means I don't have X11 anymore. Just a little blinking cursor on a black ...

  1. matrox G550 driver doesn't support xserver 6.9.0

    So I just did an apt-get upgrade, and now I'm running xserver 6.9.0. Alas,
    the latest version of the matrox linux drivers only support 6.8.2.
    Which means I don't have X11 anymore. Just a little blinking cursor on
    a black screen.

    Is it possible to downgrade to an older version of xserver until
    I can get something from Matrox for this newer xserver? How would one do that?

    So frustrating - I can't even post to their forums because they lock
    them over the weekend - CLOSED to posts. That's the only time I'm ever
    doing any serious upgrading or hacking and when I see "posts are
    locked over the weekend" it makes me furious!!

  2. Re: matrox G550 driver doesn't support xserver 6.9.0

    Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 18:01 schrieb Alan Ezust:
    > So I just did an apt-get upgrade, and now I'm running xserver 6.9.0. Alas,
    > the latest version of the matrox linux drivers only support 6.8.2.
    > Which means I don't have X11 anymore. Just a little blinking cursor on
    > a black screen.

    Same here - but then i saw in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
    every driver was updated except
    /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o

    After renaming this file to
    /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o.old
    and restarting X everything is fine.
    I am running 6.9.1

    good luck,
    Martin

  3. Re: matrox G550 driver doesn't support xserver 6.9.0

    Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 18:14 schrieb HeWe:
    > Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 18:01 schrieb Alan Ezust:
    > > So I just did an apt-get upgrade, and now I'm running xserver 6.9.0.
    > > Alas, the latest version of the matrox linux drivers only support 6.8.2.
    > > Which means I don't have X11 anymore. Just a little blinking cursor on a
    > > black screen.

    > Same here - but then i saw in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
    > every driver was updated except
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o
    >
    > After renaming this file to
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o.old
    > and restarting X everything is fine.
    > I am running 6.9.1

    Yes, the X driver are the same for both, one compiled with the HAL, the other
    not. When I last worked with a G550, this was only needed for DVI (but you
    could work around that with the framebuffer) and there were no other
    advantages than that.

    HS

  4. Re: matrox G550 driver doesn't support xserver 6.9.0

    Which version of the matrox drivers are you using?
    Are you using any special debian packages for matrox?
    Do you have both screens working properly?

    After trying what you suggested, x11 runs again (thank you very
    much!!), but it looks like my driver is still not working correctly.

    I have dual-head, and when I run kdm, I normaly see the login screen
    on the left screen. Now the right screen is off, and the left screen
    is displaying what used to be on the right (which is just a blue
    blackground), and I can't see the login prompt.

    I tried reinstalling the driver I already had (4.2.0), it just
    reported "the driver is up to date".

    I tried installing the latest one I found on the website (4.3.0) and
    it said "the drivers do not support the current version of your X
    server".

    On 1/29/06, HeWe wrote:
    > Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 18:01 schrieb Alan Ezust:
    > > So I just did an apt-get upgrade, and now I'm running xserver 6.9.0. Alas,
    > > the latest version of the matrox linux drivers only support 6.8.2.
    > > Which means I don't have X11 anymore. Just a little blinking cursor on
    > > a black screen.
    > >

    > Same here - but then i saw in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
    > every driver was updated except
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o
    >
    > After renaming this file to
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o.old
    > and restarting X everything is fine.
    > I am running 6.9.1
    >
    > good luck,
    > Martin

  5. Re: matrox G550 driver doesn't support xserver 6.9.0

    Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 21:51 schrieb Alan Ezust:
    > Which version of the matrox drivers are you using?

    only the drivers wich comes with 6.9.1

    > Are you using any special debian packages for matrox?

    no

    > Do you have both screens working properly?

    sure

    > After trying what you suggested, x11 runs again (thank you very
    > much!!), but it looks like my driver is still not working correctly.
    >
    > I have dual-head, and when I run kdm, I normaly see the login screen
    > on the left screen. Now the right screen is off, and the left screen
    > is displaying what used to be on the right (which is just a blue
    > blackground), and I can't see the login prompt.
    >
    > I tried reinstalling the driver I already had (4.2.0), it just
    > reported "the driver is up to date".
    >
    > I tried installing the latest one I found on the website (4.3.0) and
    > it said "the drivers do not support the current version of your X
    > server".

    as i said before, i am just using the drivers within the 6.9.1 package.
    No proprietary drivers from the matrox site where needed - afaik

    More on configuration options for DualHead MGA550 can be found here:
    http://wiki.unixboard.de/index.php/HowToualHead

    unfourtunaly this page is only available in german ...