kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing - Debian

This is a discussion on kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing - Debian ; Hmmm, It appears the latest kdelibs packages (v3.5.1) doesn't like the KDE currently in the archive (v3.5.0). kded keeps crashing with signal 6. Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of drkonqi windows may want to ...

  1. kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Hmmm,

    It appears the latest kdelibs packages (v3.5.1) doesn't like the KDE
    currently in the archive (v3.5.0). kded keeps crashing with signal 6.

    Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of
    drkonqi windows may want to put the kdelibs packages[1] on hold until
    more of v3.5.1 enters the archive.

    - Bruce

    [1]
    kdelibs-bin
    kdelibs-data
    kdelibs4-dev
    kdelibs4-doc
    kdelibs4c2a
    kdelibs

  2. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Bruce Sass wrote:

    > Hmmm,
    >
    > It appears the latest kdelibs packages (v3.5.1) doesn't like the KDE
    > currently in the archive (v3.5.0). kded keeps crashing with signal 6.
    >
    > Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of
    > drkonqi windows may want to put the kdelibs packages[1] on hold until
    > more of v3.5.1 enters the archive.
    >

    > - Bruce
    >
    > [1]
    > kdelibs-bin
    > kdelibs-data
    > kdelibs4-dev
    > kdelibs4-doc
    > kdelibs4c2a
    > kdelibs

    Doesn't happen for me.

  3. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    I had serious problems.
    I posted debian bug #350266

    cu

    On 1/29/06, Andres Järv wrote:

    > Bruce Sass wrote:
    >
    > > Hmmm,
    > >
    > > It appears the latest kdelibs packages (v3.5.1) doesn't like the KDE
    > > currently in the archive (v3.5.0). kded keeps crashing with signal 6.
    > >
    > > Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of
    > > drkonqi windows may want to put the kdelibs packages[1] on hold until
    > > more of v3.5.1 enters the archive.
    > >

    > > - Bruce
    > >
    > > [1]
    > > kdelibs-bin
    > > kdelibs-data
    > > kdelibs4-dev
    > > kdelibs4-doc
    > > kdelibs4c2a
    > > kdelibs
    > >

    > Doesn't happen for me.
    >

    > --

  4. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    On Monday 30 January 2006 16:10, Tim Ruehsen wrote:

    > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look good
    > thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans, openoffice, wine).
    > Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons disappeared from the desktop
    > - but this may not be important to everyone.

    Alternatively you might want to install the 'avahi-daemon' package which will
    prevent kded from crashing.

    --
    Dave - http://zapek.com/

  5. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    > Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of
    > drkonqi windows may want to put the kdelibs packages[1] on hold until
    > more of v3.5.1 enters the archive.

    Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look good
    thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans, openoffice, wine).
    Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons disappeared from the desktop -
    but this may not be important to everyone.

    Tim

  6. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Andres Järv wrote:

    > Bruce Sass wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm,
    >>
    >> It appears the latest kdelibs packages (v3.5.1) doesn't like the KDE
    >> currently in the archive (v3.5.0). kded keeps crashing with signal 6.
    >>
    >> Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of
    >> drkonqi windows may want to put the kdelibs packages[1] on hold until
    >> more of v3.5.1 enters the archive.

    Don't know what the situation is with Debian, but I recently went through
    this on Ubuntu. It seemed there was something screwed up in dependency
    handling - "apt-get -f install" added a couple of extra avahi-related
    packages (avahi-daemon and libavahi-something), even though "apt-get
    dist-upgrade" didn't show them.
    --
    derek

  7. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    > > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look good
    > > thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans, openoffice, wine).
    > > Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons disappeared from the desktop
    > > - but this may not be important to everyone.

    > Alternatively you might want to install the 'avahi-daemon' package which

    will prevent kded from crashing.

    I don't want to. I already have ~500 daemons running:-(, ~480 with
    functionality not needed by me... but they are all somehow entangled.
    But I close my eyes, hit return and install it. One more for heavens sake. I
    really don't need automatic printer detection and the like. 'hope this makes
    the system more stable...

    Don't take that to serious, i appreciate your advice.

    Tim

  8. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    On Monday 30 January 2006 11:15, David Gerber wrote:
    > On Monday 30 January 2006 16:10, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
    > > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look
    > > good thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans,
    > > openoffice, wine). Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons
    > > disappeared from the desktop - but this may not be important to
    > > everyone.

    > Alternatively you might want to install the 'avahi-daemon' package
    > which will prevent kded from crashing.

    I did not install the daemon package and everything works fine here so
    far ... no crashes at all I am running the amd64 port.

    > --
    > Dave - http://zapek.com/

    Stephen
    --
    Debian the choice of a GNU generation

    GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc

  9. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 16:15 schrieb David Gerber:
    > Alternatively you might want to install the 'avahi-daemon' package which
    > will prevent kded from crashing.

    Is it really needed? I don't want to broadcast rubbish in the company network.

    I have downgraded the 3.5.1 packages back to 3.5.0-3 and find the following
    after today's "-d dist-upgrade":

    libavahi-client3_0.6.4-2_i386.deb
    libavahi-common3_0.6.4-2_i386.deb
    libavahi-common-data_0.6.4-2_i386.deb
    libavahi-compat-howl0_0.6.4-2_i386.deb
    libavahi-compat-libdnssd1_0.6.4-2_i386.deb
    libavahi-qt3-1_0.6.4-2_i386.deb

    Will kded still crash without the daemon? If so, I won't upgrade.

    Thanks,

    Sönke

  10. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 18:07 schrieb Stephen Cormier:
    > On Monday 30 January 2006 11:15, David Gerber wrote:
    > > On Monday 30 January 2006 16:10, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
    > > > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look
    > > > good thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans,
    > > > openoffice, wine). Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons
    > > > disappeared from the desktop - but this may not be important to
    > > > everyone.

    > > Alternatively you might want to install the 'avahi-daemon' package
    > > which will prevent kded from crashing.

    > I did not install the daemon package and everything works fine here so
    > far ... no crashes at all I am running the amd64 port.

    I just dist-upgraded my SID system at home. It did not need the avahi-daemon
    package to work properly. Both systems (work and home) are now up-to-date and
    are very close to each other. One needs avahi-daemon to prevent kded to
    crash, the other is fine without it. Is anyone able to enlighten me/us ?

    Tim

  11. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Tim Ruehsen wrote:

    >> Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of
    >> drkonqi windows may want to put the kdelibs packages[1] on hold until
    >> more of v3.5.1 enters the archive.

    > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look good
    > thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans, openoffice, wine).
    > Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons disappeared from the desktop
    > - but this may not be important to everyone.

    That didn't do anything for me - had to "killall -9 kded" first, otherwise
    it just kept failing and spawning more drkonqi's.
    --
    derek

  12. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Tim Ruehsen wrote:

    >> > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look good
    >> > thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans, openoffice,
    >> > wine). Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons disappeared from
    >> > the desktop - but this may not be important to everyone.

    >> Alternatively you might want to install the 'avahi-daemon' package which

    > will prevent kded from crashing.
    >
    > I don't want to. I already have ~500 daemons running:-(, ~480 with
    > functionality not needed by me... but they are all somehow entangled.
    > But I close my eyes, hit return and install it. One more for heavens sake.
    > I really don't need automatic printer detection and the like. 'hope this
    > makes the system more stable...

    Well, I try to limit the number of daemons running, too, but you have to
    stop thinking of daemons as unnecessary processes and just consider (at
    least some of them) as userspace kernel extensions. A large number of
    daemons (and particularly the ones responsible for the recent explosion of
    daemons) are doing things that _used_ to be done in the kernel. No you
    probably don't need automatic printer detection, but do you really have a
    daemon that _only_ does that?
    --
    derek

  13. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    > >> Unstable users not wanting to be bothered by a constant stream of
    > >> drkonqi windows may want to put the kdelibs packages[1] on hold until
    > >> more of v3.5.1 enters the archive.

    > > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look good
    > > thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans, openoffice, wine).
    > > Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons disappeared from the desktop
    > > - but this may not be important to everyone.

    > That didn't do anything for me - had to "killall -9 kded" first, otherwise
    > it just kept failing and spawning more drkonqi's.

    Interesting... I did a ps -ef|grep kded to find kded processes. The only thing
    i found where drkonqi processes with some string 'kded' as command line
    option. That's why i did 'killall drkonqi', which helped.

    Tim

  14. Re: kded from kdelibs 3.5.1 crashing

    Tim Ruehsen wrote:

    >> > Or just 'killall drkonqi' (the 'lazy' solution). Things i use look good
    >> > thereafter (konqueror, kate, kmail, konsole, netbeans, openoffice,
    >> > wine). Some of these 'automatic' network drive icons disappeared from
    >> > the desktop - but this may not be important to everyone.

    >> That didn't do anything for me - had to "killall -9 kded" first,
    >> otherwise it just kept failing and spawning more drkonqi's.

    > Interesting... I did a ps -ef|grep kded to find kded processes. The only
    > thing i found where drkonqi processes with some string 'kded' as command
    > line option. That's why i did 'killall drkonqi', which helped.

    Probably it matters what the underlying cause was. In my case kontact was
    trying to open the kde wallet to get my mail account passwords, and the
    wallet/kded communication failed. This would keep repeating until I began
    to enter passwords for each account manually (I was up to ~160 drkonqi
    windows when I got tied up doing something else while it was going on).
    After killing all those windows (a very slow process) they kept coming
    until I killed all the kded processes, too.
    --
    derek